Subject: "update for next reboot/crash" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #777
Show all folders

SebeokWed 19-Oct-05 04:00 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
940 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#777, "update for next reboot/crash"

One (old, but nonetheless ludicrous) bug with the way some weapons get dodged was fixed, and the offense/defense abilities of some weapons have been revisited and made a bit more logical/balanced.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Top

Reply Intuitively, this fits with past experiences (txt), tapster, 19-Oct-05 09:16 PM, #10
Reply RE: Intuitively, this fits with past experiences (txt), Sebeok, 19-Oct-05 09:21 PM, #11
Reply Not to complain...., Laearrist, 19-Oct-05 07:09 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Not to complain...., Sebeok, 19-Oct-05 07:21 PM, #2
          Reply RE: Not to complain...., Aiekooso, 19-Oct-05 07:59 PM, #3
               Reply As far as the bug fix, Sebeok, 19-Oct-05 08:08 PM, #4
                    Reply My imagination tells me..., Laearrist, 19-Oct-05 08:31 PM, #5
                         Reply RE: My imagination tells me..., Sebeok, 19-Oct-05 08:35 PM, #6
                              Reply Just one more dive into my vivid imagination..., Laearrist, 19-Oct-05 08:40 PM, #7
                                   Reply RE: Just one more dive into my vivid imagination..., Sebeok, 19-Oct-05 08:44 PM, #8
                                        Reply I reserve my right to bitch horribly about this in the ..., Laearrist, 19-Oct-05 09:16 PM, #9

tapsterWed 19-Oct-05 08:50 PM
Member since 11th May 2005
54 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#788, "Intuitively, this fits with past experiences (txt)"
In response to Reply #0

I always thought it odd, but when fighting:

Polearm/Axe specs....

I had a really really hard dodging on multiple characters. Way more than normal it always seemed. And I was always playing arials.

Could this be the reason behind it and was I perhaps NOT imagining things over the last few years?

Also, how do spears/staffs rank on the list for how hard they are too dodge? I had a hard time figuring this one out logically in my mind in relation to dodging.

SebeokWed 19-Oct-05 09:21 PM
940 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#789, "RE: Intuitively, this fits with past experiences (txt)"
In response to Reply #10

It certainly may have contributed to it some.
I'm not going to post any more information about what's better than what, that wasn't the point of the post and it's becoming clear that informing people about changes sometimes isn't the best of ideas.

LaearristWed 19-Oct-05 05:47 PM
289 posts
#778, "Not to complain...."
In response to Reply #0

But could you be a little more specific? We're all kind of used to the way things work now, and this seems like a pretty big deal.

SebeokWed 19-Oct-05 07:21 PM
940 posts
#779, "RE: Not to complain...."
In response to Reply #1

As far as the bug, it was making weapons that were supposed to be easier to dodge harder to dodge, and vice versa. Cute, huh?

AiekoosoWed 19-Oct-05 07:56 PM
Member since 18th Dec 2003
305 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#781, "RE: Not to complain...."
In response to Reply #2

Was hand to hand/hand specs included in this change?

SebeokWed 19-Oct-05 08:08 PM
940 posts
#782, "As far as the bug fix"
In response to Reply #3

You could probably use your imagination as far as what weapons should be easy to dodge and what shouldn't be.

LaearristWed 19-Oct-05 08:27 PM
289 posts
#783, "My imagination tells me..."
In response to Reply #4

That it would be weight related and not weapon related. Of course if it is weapon related, then I'm pretty sure all weapons just became more or less equal in their offensive potential since those that are hard to parry are probably easy to dodge and vice versa. I consider this a bad thing.

SebeokWed 19-Oct-05 08:35 PM
940 posts
#784, "RE: My imagination tells me..."
In response to Reply #5

What was changed was weapon related. It was a fairly bad bug, which has been corrected. There are of course tons and tons of other factors involved with dodge, and assuming all weapons just became the same would be grossly incorrect.

LaearristWed 19-Oct-05 08:39 PM
289 posts
#785, "Just one more dive into my vivid imagination..."
In response to Reply #6

Whips are easy to parry... strip is very useful... whips are now hard to dodge. Now, getting stripped means getting beat down twice as fast. Daggers are easy to parry, dagger specs drop strength, you lose weapon, you dodge for crap and they're hard to dodge... you get beat down twice as quickly.... Axes are hard to parry, axe spec breaks your weapon. You're a high dex race... you dodge easily and pound them in the ass anyway...

If you say I'm wrong, I'm totally willing to believe it, but this was the first thing that popped into my head.

SebeokWed 19-Oct-05 08:44 PM
940 posts
#786, "RE: Just one more dive into my vivid imagination..."
In response to Reply #7

Well you'd be on the right track with your thinking.
Again, it's fixing something that was horribly wrong to its intended state, and that's not a bad thing. It's more balanced now than it ever has been and its more logical.

LaearristWed 19-Oct-05 08:46 PM
289 posts
#787, "I reserve my right to bitch horribly about this in the ..."
In response to Reply #8

Thanks for all the responses though.

Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #777 Previous topic | Next topic