Subject: "Frost Giants" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #2529
Show all folders

ScarabaeusThu 19-Jan-12 01:27 AM
Member since 19th Feb 2011
1524 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2529, "Frost Giants"

By now a handful of you have figured out that Frost Giants are roaming the lands. You probably have some questions. Since this is my first attempt at coding up a race from scratch, you also probably have some bug reports. The latter you can send to me via e-mail or note. The former can first refer to the HELP file posted as a note. Special thanks to Nreykre for putting together a new area for the occasion, and on short notice.

Frost Giants are a limited race. I know this might curdle your milk, so sit down before reading any further. Are you seated? OK, you were warned. Frost Giants are even more limited than that; with this race I wanted to try implementing something seasonal. So, you can think of the Frost Giant as the McRib of CF. It will likely come and go with the Winter.

This will probably not be the last time this happens. (Unless I have managed to break the MUD and am banned from such activities in the future.)

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Idea re: limited races, Doof, 19-Feb-12 09:38 PM, #36
Reply Unlimited Temporary Race, laxman, 19-Feb-12 09:38 PM, #32
Reply I approve this message, issues and ideas within., deBriguy, 23-Feb-12 02:43 PM, #37
     Reply I'd do a gnome sized berserker with that xp range., robdarken_, 24-Feb-12 04:17 PM, #38
     Reply Agreed..., Tac, 24-Feb-12 04:17 PM, #39
     Reply Could just..., Tsunami, 24-Feb-12 04:17 PM, #40
Reply Treants or Dryads for the summer season?, Summertime (Anonymous), 25-Jan-12 02:10 PM, #29
Reply summer?, Scarabaeus, 25-Jan-12 03:13 PM, #31
Reply Nymphs in spring for the hot mudsexing action, Runaktla, 19-Feb-12 09:38 PM, #34
Reply Centaurs: I like most of those but..., Alston, 19-Feb-12 09:38 PM, #35
Reply mail woes, Scarabaeus, 22-Jan-12 04:36 PM, #27
Reply The problem with limited availability races, RandomThinker, 25-Jan-12 02:10 PM, #20
Reply Thank you for this, Oldril, 21-Jan-12 01:45 PM, #19
Reply RE: Thank you for this, Scarabaeus, 22-Jan-12 08:26 AM, #23
     Reply Very!, Beer, 25-Jan-12 02:10 PM, #24
Reply Is there any way you could be coaxed?..., FrostGiant (Anonymous), 21-Jan-12 01:45 PM, #17
Reply RE: Is there any way you could be coaxed?..., Scarabaeus, 22-Jan-12 08:23 AM, #22
Reply That's a really cool concept. -nt-, fist-law, 21-Jan-12 01:45 PM, #15
Reply Are all slots taken already or do they still need a cra..., MoetEtChandon, 21-Jan-12 01:45 PM, #12
Reply slots, Scarabaeus, 22-Jan-12 08:22 AM, #21
     Reply RE: slots, Scarabaeus, 22-Jan-12 03:10 PM, #25
          Reply Right on, Tsunami, 25-Jan-12 02:10 PM, #26
          Reply You are the coolest Christian I know, Oldril, 25-Jan-12 02:10 PM, #28
          Reply Excellent ..., MoetEtChandon, 25-Jan-12 02:10 PM, #30
Reply You curdled my milk so bad, Tsunami, 19-Jan-12 12:17 PM, #6
Reply RE: You curdled my milk so bad, Scarabaeus, 19-Jan-12 12:41 PM, #8
Reply RE: Frost Giants, demon, 19-Jan-12 07:09 AM, #2
Reply RE: Frost Giants, Scarabaeus, 19-Jan-12 09:29 AM, #4
     Reply Am I understanding this properly?, Alston, 19-Jan-12 12:17 PM, #5
          Reply yep, Scarabaeus, 19-Jan-12 12:41 PM, #7
               Reply Turn off the gnomes! n/t, Doof, 19-Jan-12 02:45 PM, #9
               Reply This mechanism just turned me on!, Alston, 19-Jan-12 02:45 PM, #10
               Reply RE: This mechanism just turned me on!, Scarabaeus, 19-Jan-12 02:50 PM, #14
                    Reply I do. nt, Dallevian, 21-Jan-12 01:45 PM, #16
                    Reply That's a shame. It's a great memory. :) n/t, Alston, 21-Jan-12 01:45 PM, #18
               Reply What happens when the season is over?, Tac, 19-Jan-12 02:45 PM, #11
                    Reply eschatology, Scarabaeus, 19-Jan-12 02:49 PM, #13
                         Reply RE: eschatology, Brucifer (Anonymous), 19-Feb-12 09:38 PM, #33
Reply Erm, I haven't seen them in character creation, or in a..., Amberion, 19-Jan-12 07:09 AM, #1
     Reply helps, Scarabaeus, 19-Jan-12 09:27 AM, #3

DoofSat 11-Feb-12 07:03 PM
Member since 03rd Dec 2009
200 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2567, "Idea re: limited races"
In response to Reply #0

Instead of these race slots being handed out by sheer luck, what would the staff think of having descriptions and roles submitted through the website for approval? The idea is that the folks who would best RP the new race would be selected to fill those slots.

The new race could be announced a week or two in advance of rollout, giving the playerbase a few days to come up with their ideas for the first wave.

I think this could really inspire some genuine roleplay and push us (the players) to come up with unique and thorough concepts for the characters.

I know this would be a time investment for the imms, though, so that may be a no-go right out of the gate.

laxmanWed 25-Jan-12 03:50 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#2563, "Unlimited Temporary Race"
In response to Reply #0

I wonder if the system would support doing unlimited temp races.

Basically what I would like to see is a kobold or goblin race.

They have to belong to the grinning skulls village. They have a negative -400 xp penalty so they rank super fast and have a very favorable range but they are gnome sized berserkers who can only choose mundugu or skugra adaptations.

They could be turned on for short periods of time and maybe make having an extra orc clan race a thing. Other possibilities could be half-orc, troll, 2 headed ogre, etc. Would be a way to add a little extra variety to the village.

deBriguyMon 20-Feb-12 07:59 AM
Member since 26th Feb 2007
50 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#2573, "I approve this message, issues and ideas within."
In response to Reply #32

How many people out there would really go ahead and handicap themselves with a gnome sized berserker, besides maybe you and me? I would think it was hilarious and I'd do it, but why not just roll an Orc?

Giving Orcs another limited race though would be phenomenal, let me roll a troll mundunugu, an ogre mamlauk, or kobold/goblin skrugga the adaptations have specific stats they rely on so having a limited race for that adaptation would make sense. It would definitely make some people who all think Orcs are terrible roll them and have a larger base.

robdarken_Thu 23-Feb-12 03:08 PM
Member since 09th Sep 2009
373 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#2585, "I'd do a gnome sized berserker with that xp range."
In response to Reply #37

#### I'd probably do a good job of it.

TacThu 23-Feb-12 03:37 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
#2586, "Agreed..."
In response to Reply #37

Though I would swap troll to mamlauk and ogre to mundunugu as those make more sense to me (ogre's being smarter) and making goblins the choice for skrugga with higher dex but human size makes some sense to me. Kobolds should be reserved as the punishment race, because nothing is funnier than a gecho about kobolds eating some gear passing cheaters.

TsunamiThu 23-Feb-12 05:34 PM
Member since 25th Mar 2008
1509 posts
#2587, "Could just..."
In response to Reply #37

Get rid of adaptations as they are and then transfer them to a race each like you said above. Mundungus are trolls, ogres are mamlauk, kobolds or goblins are skrugga, and orcs are shig-ru.

Summertime (Anonymous)Mon 23-Jan-12 03:04 PM
Charter member
#2560, "Treants or Dryads for the summer season?"
In response to Reply #0

Just curious about the summer season race. So, if you have not chosen a summer season race I vote for....... CENTAURS that can range the entire gambit for alignments and ethos.

Skills maxed KICK

Centaurs are harder to trip.

Inherents:
Hoof strike- this attack is the same as a kick however as the skill goes up a secondary kick may fire off a successful hoof strike.
Double slots for footwear however mino footwear type only.

Endless Stamina- automatic, large movement refresh at every tick and less penalty incurred from terrain.

Warrior, Ranger, Shapeshifter, Druid, and Shaman.

ScarabaeusWed 25-Jan-12 03:13 PM
1524 posts
#2562, "summer?"
In response to Reply #29

Why not something for the spring?

RunaktlaFri 27-Jan-12 04:03 AM
Member since 30th Aug 2006
48 posts
#2565, "Nymphs in spring for the hot mudsexing action"
In response to Reply #31

All are automatically heralds and all character descriptions must include attractive breast and hip size.

When they hit hero they get a custom sdesc which would be something like "You see the form of Zulghinlour prancing around here, bouncy breasts exposed."

AlstonSun 29-Jan-12 03:43 AM
Member since 07th Sep 2011
858 posts
#2566, "Centaurs: I like most of those but..."
In response to Reply #29

Make them Good/neutral only.

Warrior, Ranger, Paladin, Druid only. (Def not shapeshifters They pride themselves in their physiques!)

They get automatically get that charge edge.

That's all I would change.

ScarabaeusSun 22-Jan-12 04:36 PM
1524 posts
#2557, "mail woes"
In response to Reply #0

BTW, for those of you who have mailed me RE: Frost Giants, I have read your e-mails. For some reason, the CF mail server is timing out on trying to send replies, so consider this your acknowledgment until that is sorted out.

RandomThinkerSat 21-Jan-12 04:58 PM
Member since 25th Jul 2005
30 posts
#2550, "The problem with limited availability races"
In response to Reply #0

This sounds awesome. I both like having frost giants as a PC race AND having seasonal races. Seeing this announcement really made me want to come back from my 6 month plus hiatus. Then I realized, "oh ####, it's like minotaurs." I had a minotaur once, years ago. Got it through pure luck and it ended up being a kinda crappy character because I wasn't planning on a minotaur when I originally went to roll and didn't have a role in mind. I just had to take it because who knows when I would get that chance again.

Now with frost giants that's compounded by the fact that I only have a few months to snag one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to know if a frost giant slot is open is to happen to roll up a character at the right time? I understand the additional mystique/cool factor added by having them limited, but I think most people would trade that for a chance to actually play one.

Yes, this would likely result in a huge influx of the new race every time one was revealed, but for one I think that fits with the "new race entering Thera" theme, and two I think it would even out quickly. If minotaurs were suddenly unlimited now, there might be a lot of minotaurs for a week, but I don't think much longer.

At the very least, could we implement some kind of way to know if a slot is open besides trying to roll one? Maybe via CF Twitter/Facebook or some such thing?

At best... could we consider a different approach here?

Please don't take this as a complaint. I appreciate all the staff's hard work. I'd just like a better shot at experiencing it.

OldrilFri 20-Jan-12 08:03 PM
Member since 20th Jan 2011
641 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2549, "Thank you for this"
In response to Reply #0

Thanks, seems like you've been hard at work at CF a lot lately and I'd like to thank you very much for it!

ScarabaeusSun 22-Jan-12 08:26 AM
1524 posts
#2553, "RE: Thank you for this"
In response to Reply #19

I probably spend more time with CF than my workload permits, but I hope it makes things more interesting for everyone.

BeerSun 22-Jan-12 01:16 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
322 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2554, "Very!"
In response to Reply #23

Some of us do appreciate the time you guys spend on! Even though I suck balls, I get my fix everyday!

FrostGiant (Anonymous)Thu 19-Jan-12 07:20 PM
Charter member
#2547, "Is there any way you could be coaxed?..."
In response to Reply #0

...to change Frostblade to more than an exotic?

inh frostblade (weapontype) would be such a cool thing.

Kinda stinks getting teased with exotics only and wanting to take HPM just to make use of the Inherent outside of being in a bind and needing something to parry with.

Regardless of your choice, you are and always will be my favorite IMM and thank you so much for how much work you put into CF. This is such a fresh fun thing you've done.

ScarabaeusSun 22-Jan-12 08:23 AM
1524 posts
#2552, "RE: Is there any way you could be coaxed?..."
In response to Reply #17

The Frostblade may undergo some balancing as we move forward, so we'll see.

fist-lawThu 19-Jan-12 04:32 PM
Member since 30th Sep 2011
149 posts
#2545, "That's a really cool concept. -nt-"
In response to Reply #0

asf

MoetEtChandonThu 19-Jan-12 02:46 PM
Member since 26th Jul 2010
293 posts
#2542, "Are all slots taken already or do they still need a cra..."
In response to Reply #0

I'm just thinking that limited races should get a faster autodelete, say like twice the rate. In all those years, I have never had a Minotaur, and I just fear this is going to be the same.

Especially since some people will now roll one, and keep them on ice until they're really going to play it. Given the release timing, that will mean you will not ever get one, until they reappear at autumn.

While I absolutely appreciate your involvement, time and hard work, I am not sure I really should be excited about this one.

ScarabaeusSun 22-Jan-12 08:22 AM
1524 posts
#2551, "slots"
In response to Reply #12

You know that Minotaurs have a faster autodelete, right?

So far I have been keeping an eye on the Frost Giants. If I see one go idle for long, or I see one person scooping them up, I will likely intervene. I am not unaware of concerns like this.

ScarabaeusSun 22-Jan-12 03:10 PM
1524 posts
#2555, "RE: slots"
In response to Reply #21

In fact, I just opened up one of those slots. Don't roll up a character like this, play it for 3 minutes, quit, and then go play your alts for the next four days... you're not going to keep a limited race that way.

TsunamiSun 22-Jan-12 04:16 PM
1509 posts
#2556, "Right on"
In response to Reply #25

Good to see a crack down on nonsense

OldrilSun 22-Jan-12 06:31 PM
Member since 20th Jan 2011
641 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2558, "You are the coolest Christian I know"
In response to Reply #25

No lie.

MoetEtChandonTue 24-Jan-12 05:16 PM
Member since 26th Jul 2010
293 posts
#2561, "Excellent ..."
In response to Reply #25

To quote mister Burns. Always a good time for that.

TsunamiThu 19-Jan-12 10:20 AM
1509 posts
#2535, "You curdled my milk so bad"
In response to Reply #0

Very cool concept though. Ebb and flow races? I dig.

ScarabaeusThu 19-Jan-12 12:41 PM
1524 posts
#2537, "RE: You curdled my milk so bad"
In response to Reply #6

It's good to see the current Frost Giants taking their roles seriously.

demonThu 19-Jan-12 05:17 AM
Member since 24th Sep 2010
78 posts
#2531, "RE: Frost Giants"
In response to Reply #0

Good work man! now....to get a slot!!

ScarabaeusThu 19-Jan-12 09:29 AM
1524 posts
#2533, "RE: Frost Giants"
In response to Reply #2

Certainly someone who has never played a warrior before rolled one up and didn't know what he/she was in for.

AlstonThu 19-Jan-12 10:18 AM
858 posts
#2534, "Am I understanding this properly?"
In response to Reply #4

There are only a limited number of slots, and they will only be available certain times of the real life year?

ScarabaeusThu 19-Jan-12 12:41 PM
1524 posts
#2536, "yep"
In response to Reply #5

That is correct. The idea is that we could periodically swap in a rare race for a time to inject a little something different into the environment. So maybe in the winter we see Frost Giants while during tax season we see Illithids--whatever. The mechanism is in place now to turn individual races like this on and off as we please.

DoofThu 19-Jan-12 12:53 PM
Member since 03rd Dec 2009
200 posts
#2538, "Turn off the gnomes! n/t"
In response to Reply #7

AlstonThu 19-Jan-12 01:20 PM
858 posts
#2539, "This mechanism just turned me on!"
In response to Reply #7

P.S.

Do you have a link to the Graatch song? I haven't heard it in years!

ScarabaeusThu 19-Jan-12 02:50 PM
1524 posts
#2544, "RE: This mechanism just turned me on!"
In response to Reply #10

That's probably for the best. I don't have a copy of it myself.

DallevianThu 19-Jan-12 05:50 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1618 posts
#2546, "I do. nt"
In response to Reply #14

nt

AlstonFri 20-Jan-12 08:50 AM
858 posts
#2548, "That's a shame. It's a great memory. :) n/t"
In response to Reply #14

sdvadv

TacThu 19-Jan-12 01:50 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
#2541, "What happens when the season is over?"
In response to Reply #7

I mean you can't roll a new frost giant in the summer, but presumably you can still play one?

ScarabaeusThu 19-Jan-12 02:49 PM
1524 posts
#2543, "eschatology"
In response to Reply #11

That is correct; character creation will be turned off for the race, but existing characters of that race will persist like any other character.

Brucifer (Anonymous)Wed 25-Jan-12 05:20 PM
Charter member
#2564, "RE: eschatology"
In response to Reply #13

Seems like it would be cooler to have them start melting when they log in during the summer and eventually end up a puddle with some gear in it, like frosty.

Man that would be ####ing brutal however.....

AmberionThu 19-Jan-12 02:49 AM
Member since 06th Jun 2007
945 posts
#2530, "Erm, I haven't seen them in character creation, or in a..."
In response to Reply #0

Will there be a helpfile eventually?

Have I just had bad luck and all of them got taken real quick?

Just curious.

Anyways, awesome as usual! Super happy to see another race in CF!

Always shoot first and then call whatever you hit the target.

ScarabaeusThu 19-Jan-12 09:27 AM
1524 posts
#2532, "helps"
In response to Reply #1

The help file was added; last night we had a note with the help information instead. More helps will be modified as well.

Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #2529 Previous topic | Next topic