Subject: "Link dropping to clear your command buffer" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #241
Show all folders

ZulghinlourTue 25-Nov-03 10:15 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
9792 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#241, "Link dropping to clear your command buffer"

It just got a little nastier. You'll come back just fine, buffer cleared...but you'll be a little laggy.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Link dropping to clear your command buffer, Isildur, 27-Nov-03 01:56 AM, #1
     Reply Does it affect those who reconnect innocently?, Evil Genius (Anonymous), 27-Nov-03 12:15 PM, #2
          Reply RE: Does it affect those who reconnect innocently?, Zulghinlour, 27-Nov-03 12:16 PM, #3
               Reply RE: Does it affect those who reconnect innocently?, Wemnar, 01-Dec-03 05:48 PM, #4
               Reply Obviously this is a problem, why not solve it instead o..., Rutsah, 22-Dec-03 12:32 PM, #5
                    Reply RE: Obviously this is a problem, why not solve it inste..., Zulghinlour, 22-Dec-03 12:34 PM, #6

IsildurThu 27-Nov-03 01:14 AM
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#243, "RE: Link dropping to clear your command buffer"
In response to Reply #0

This strikes me as a change worth its weight in entertainment value...if it were never announced.

Evil Genius (inactive user)Thu 27-Nov-03 11:17 AM
Charter member
#244, "Does it affect those who reconnect innocently?"
In response to Reply #1

Ie those who's link dropped as usual and reconnect to find themselves at 40hps and 1 round away from doom?

ZulghinlourThu 27-Nov-03 12:16 PM
9792 posts
#245, "RE: Does it affect those who reconnect innocently?"
In response to Reply #2

There is a short window of time where it affects anyone who drops link. We've done our best to keep that window short enough that it affects the people trying to abuse this tactic.

WemnarMon 01-Dec-03 04:23 PM
10 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#248, "RE: Does it affect those who reconnect innocently?"
In response to Reply #3

This is awesome. I don't play anymore but I remember reporting this so many times when I was playing as Anielle and a certain Invoker always did this. But I always got the we can't prove it. Thanks so much for doing that for the greater good of those that still play I know how much it used to tick me off. I hope all is well in Thera and nice to see things moving right along

You all be good
Nyria.

>There is a short window of time where it affects anyone who
>drops link. We've done our best to keep that window short
>enough that it affects the people trying to abuse this
>tactic.

RutsahMon 22-Dec-03 01:47 AM
19 posts
#250, "Obviously this is a problem, why not solve it instead o..."
In response to Reply #3

Would it not have been wiser to put in a command that cleared your buffer ? Unless the code is that much of a mess that its not easily done. It would be a much praised command, you could entail say a 2 round lag on it or something. But it would still be a nifty command. I've killed myself a few times by not counting room movements and such. Unable to drop link fast enough to clear buffer.

Perhaps even add a command now that allows you to cancel your buffer.

Just my two cents worth.

ZulghinlourMon 22-Dec-03 12:34 PM
9792 posts
#251, "RE: Obviously this is a problem, why not solve it inste..."
In response to Reply #5

>Would it not have been wiser to put in a command that cleared
>your buffer ?

Because your buffer is held in the client, not on the mud itself.

>Unless the code is that much of a mess that its
>not easily done.

Far to much work to create a command queue for very little payoff, when this "patch" solves the problem. Don't spam your commands and you won't die stupidly because of it.

Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #241 Previous topic | Next topic