Subject: "Yuletide Snaffle 2022" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Events & Contests Topic #3019
Show all folders

RaryweyImmWed 07-Dec-22 07:37 PM
Member since 01st Nov 2021
50 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3019, "Yuletide Snaffle 2022"

Merry felicitations Therans!

Do you like presents? Do you like combat? Do you like theft and chance and
poetry?

If you have answered yes to any of these questions, you should come to the
Galadon Arena on Monday, December 19th at 7:00 PM CST and join in our little
gifting gathering. In the spirit of this time of generosity and reflection,
I have found it necessary to insert a touch of chaos and competition into
your lives. We will be playing a fine game of Yuletide Snaffle!

What in tarnation is Yuletide Snaffle?

At its heart, the game is one of giving and munificence, for those who indulge
in it will bring a gift for the Gift Pile. Once the Gift Pile has been
perfectly piled, you may take turns selecting a gift from it. But wait!
After the first gift has been opened, the chaos may begin, for the next
person who has their turn can choose to compete for it instead of selecting an
unopened gift! The competition is limited to two aspects which are chosen
by the person currently in possession of the gift:

1. You may duel in the Arena
2. You may have a battle of wit and rhyme, and I will judge the winner

Beware, however, a gift can only be contested thrice and each method of
contest may not be used more than twice per gift! If you are robbed of
your gift, alas, you cannot rob it right back, but you will reprise your
turn and be allowed to contest someone else's gift or select something new
from the one of the gift piles.

If you wish to participate you MUST send a note to Rarywey prior to Sunday,
December 18 at 7:00 PM CST. In return you will receive a note with brief
instructions, a number, and a wrapping paper description. Do not share your
number or wrapping paper description with anyone! Your participation is not
guaranteed if you do not send the note beforehand. Bring your chosen gift to
the Arena on Monday, December 19th at 7:00 PM CST and give it to Rarywey
before the event begins.

Happy gifting!

-Rary

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RaryweyImmTue 20-Dec-22 09:57 AM
Member since 01st Nov 2021
50 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3020, "The Second After-Snaffle Shuffle "
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Tue 20-Dec-22 09:59 AM

Merriest tidings Therans!

For those who are still nursing their After-Snaffle hangovers and for those who are plagued by the nagging feeling of having missed out, I thought a final Yuletide exclamation of thanks might provide some much-needed closure. As is tradition, I'll not tell you who went home with which gift precisely, but those who were thoughtful enough to bring something deserve some recognition.

Without further ado, I would first like to thank Ciaellell first for bringing the gift of a fancy crown as well as being the participant to engage in the most contests of the entire Snaffle. Honestly, there were so many I lost count. I think my Breathless Idealist spent more time on the Arena grounds than he did peeking into presents with the rest of us. You should all take him very seriously. And although he now questions my taste in verse, credit is due also to him for a delightful battle of wit and rhyme. Forgive me, Ciaellell, for although you are clever beyond measure, I cannot resist a dirty limerick.

Onward!

The Provost Reginold arrived with a fearsome sword and took a knock or two to his thick skull upon the arena grounds, to absolutely no avail at all to his challenger. Nyisal, known to us all as the ambassador of Pumpkin-kind, brought with him several magical trinkets that will provide endless fun to their winner. Nyisal also donated several lovely scarves to Snaffle participants. Count yourself lucky if you received one. Achtavious, the renowned Herald chef, had me wrap up an entire battleaxe and some boots that would leave you quaking in your boots (and brought snacks). Fortress Marshall Athald, who is less well known as a professional limerick wrangler, came in carrying an eye and spent practially the entire final half of the Snaffle immersed in rhyme--clearly my love of limericks went to his head. Another famed rhymer, Merthoc the Dancer of the Eternal Star, dragged in a bear she may or may not have captured herself. Merthoc also rhymed consistently throughout the Snaffle, which shouldn't surprise anyone who's met her before. Kardebast hiked from his hut and got up to some rockhounding to have me wrap up an array of shiny gemstones. High Herald Krimzar not only turned up with a pair of coveted orbs (lamenting that he couldn't acquire thirteen of them), but also served an array of delectable drinks and other delights. The she-orc Greldra, who likely suspects Arena bets are somehow rigged, trudged out from the breeding pits of Grinning Skull to bring an interesting barb, a bow, and a rock-hat to the Snaffle. Battle bardess Arietta came as well, twirling a walnut staff and marching to the beat of her own drum. As a reminder, be sure you always set your Yuletide tables with delicious vegetable dishes! Mrawlf the Squire had a similar idea about staves and came with one of maple clenched in his claws. In the Arena, he fought his Brigade-sister, Gabooca, and although her experience is leagues ahead of his, Mrawlf made an impressive showing of holding his own. Daressumli, the consummate dwarven drinker and Drillmaster of Battle, put a cask of fine dwarven ale on his back and hauled it all the way to the Arena for us to salivate over. Commander Ravln was not to be outdone by his Drillmaster in the matter of gift giving, so of course he brought a stick! Before you laugh, think back to your formative years and know that such a gift is more than what it seems. We are all that stick, in a way, filled with limitless potential and futures we need only reach for. The final Snaffle entrant was another of my Breathless, the Little Bird Gabooca, a Maran who has delightfully spicy taste in legwear, and who definitely sweetened the pot by bringing several lovely gifts for yours truly.

Per tradition, I too sweetened the pot, and tossed in a few secret add-on gifts of my own. Those who won them shall receive them as soon as possible and will be notified by missive.

Just because I know you are terribly curious, this Yuletide Snaffle had a total of 14 participants. Contests numbered nine, most of which were Arena battles, save for a single battle of wit and rhyme. All gifts changed hands, too, and no one went home with the item they brought.

This Yuletide's Snaffle was a roaring success, and vastly more well-attended than the inaugural Snaffle, so it's nice to know you all enjoy this still-newly-minted tradition. From my heart to yours, thank you for making this Yuletide bright.

Love,
Rary

Snafftacular (Anonymous)Tue 20-Dec-22 12:38 PM
Charter member
#3021, "RE: The Second After-Snaffle Shuffle "
In response to Reply #1

Great time. Next year I will definitely find a way to attend again. What a blast, and well organized too! Thanks Rary and all who participated!

Top General Discussions Events & Contests Topic #3019 Previous topic | Next topic