Subject: "Helpfile omission" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Bug Submissions Topic #24347
Show all folders

Fort Crier (Anonymous)Thu 04-Aug-22 11:12 AM
Charter member
#24347, "Helpfile omission"

The helpfile for cry of deliverance should mention the ability to cry to the watcher (call 'cry of deliverance' maran inner) or outer maran (call 'cry of deliverance' maran outer) - I would have never discovered this if not for reading logs from other maran.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

IshuliThu 11-Aug-22 12:19 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2145 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24363, "Meh"
In response to Reply #0

That's something older Maran can teach the new ones, not really something I think needs to be in the helpfile.

Fort Crier (Anonymous)Sat 13-Aug-22 09:51 PM
Charter member
#24386, "Appeal"
In response to Reply #1

Hiding nuance is one thing, hiding syntax to a command, not a special tattoo or item, which a player has no way of learning on his own, not only fosters ooc talk that breaks immersion and outs characters,it’s completely demoralizing to the new player. I dont think it is reasonable to expect every vet maran to gauge whether a new maran is newb or not and potentially have to ask, “do you know the syntax to cry to inner?”

If you do, then I can only guess it’s because you don’t want a feature of the power “out there.”

But it is a very dangerous standard to hide syntax to game powers within the word of mouth tree. Undocumented details that players can discover are great. Undocumented game commands? That players could not possibly learn on their own without being part of the in-the-know crowd ooc? That really turns people away.

Top General Discussions Bug Submissions Topic #24347 Previous topic | Next topic