Subject: "December 25: Wrapping up with a bunch of I Don't Know" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Twist the Season to Be Jolly Topic #150
Show all folders

TwistWed 25-Dec-13 09:01 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#150, "December 25: Wrapping up with a bunch of I Don't Know"

Well, this has been fun. I've struggled to have enough interesting info, and moreso to answer questions. Thankfully Daevryn, Vilhazarog, and Umiron have come to my rescue more than a few times in that regard. Many of the questions I feel like I know the answer well enough for my own needs (i.e. I can play a character based on Gates thinking that it's 30% dam reduction max when it actually maxes out at 25%) but when it comes to answering someone else's question, I don't feel it's fair to throw out "Here's my guess/understanding as I've experienced it."

That had been my intention from the start, but after my first day of posting, I could see that there were some who didn't trust my intentions, and realized that posting anything that was just plain *wrong* wouldn't be perceived as "Oh, he was mistaken." It'd be seen as me trying to mislead people.

So, with that being said, I hope most of you have enjoyed the posts. I know some get sick of my nostalgia stuff being "all about me" but hey, go with what you know, right?

So here are the rest of the questions I got, most of which I don't know the answers to. If I DO have an answer, it's likely just my best guess/understanding.

Gary asks:
If my travel plans will keep me out of CF for 13 days, will that have an impact on my gear? If yes, is there any way to make the anti-hoard code a bit more lenient for holidays?

Answer: I believe 13 days may hit you for some of the more rare items. I'm pretty sure it won't purge you completely or anything like that. It's not something that we adjust seasonally - plenty of players are still playing solid hours during those times, and getting that gear circulating amongst those who are actively playing is part of the point of the anti-hoard code.

I CAN tell you that the anti-hoard code is more sophisticated than "oh he logged in for five minutes, save him from getting hit by the code." It checks for a certain number of hours played over the course of a time period. I do not know the exact numbers, sorry.

Kagumaru asks:
One thing I'd love to see if there's still time is a table of weapon vs weapon with some information about which weapons defend well against which others. Like, if my opponent's using an axe, should I use a spear or flail etc? Both in terms of hurting him and stopping him hurting me. I know there are answers to these questions but
with so many variables to control for it's very impractical for a mortal to test it out in game with any reliability.

Answer: I'm sorry, I only have vague impressions on this based on the mortals I've played. Here's a *very* rough chart that isn't really what you want, but is about as close as I can come (and quite possibly way off - again, based purely on my experiences).

This is pretty much just taking parry into account. Trying to factor in other defenses like dodge, spin, distance, etc. would be difficult, and of course not accurate for non-specced warriors, etc.

Parry well
staff
sword
spear
polearm
axe
mace
flail
whip
dagger
hand to hand
Parry poorly

Tough to parry
axe
polearm
mace
spear
whip
flail
sword
staff
dagger
hand to hand
Easy to parry

AncientNewbie asks:
Once possible question is to shed some light on the tomes from the consortium? How much do they actually help? Also, the guy that sells them claims their power will fade over time, is that accurate or do they just eventually crumble after a looong time?

Answer: I have no real idea on how much they actually help. Based on past experience, game balance, and having used one with a few invokers, my best guess is about a 10%-25% increase to learning rate. That answer is a bit like a weatherman predicting rain, only probably less accurate, so sorry about that. As for them fading over time, I carried one on Fobrin from the day I rolled him to the day I deleted with 200+(?) hours, so I think that's simply a sales tactic by that vendor. Could be wrong though!

Jonathan asks:
How does Ehren Soul work with nightwalkers? or conjurer pets? or familiars? I'm assuming if it's grouped with you, you get a penalty but not sure how the summoned mobs work. Also, I'm assuming it's bad if you jump on other people fighting (even if solo)?

Answer: I believe Ehren Soul counts anything swinging at the victim as another body, so ES isn't a good edge for a necro, conjurer, trib, druid...those who use mobs to help them fight. That said, Ehren Soul's *effectiveness* is based on your gankometer, so if you use a lot of charmies but always fight "solo", you'll get good mileage out of ES in terms of YOU being ganged. I'm not sure if that answered your question, and again, I'm not positive on the answer.

One other bit of nostalgia, courtesy of RayBaer. Anyone remember the old version of Empire, when you could donate equipment and your donations would reflect the value of the eq?

Here's hoping everyone had a very Merry Christmas, and may you all have a Happy New Year!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicDecember 25: Wrapping up with a bunch of I Don't Know [View all] , Twist, Wed 25-Dec-13 09:01 PM
Reply Oh and Tac, Torak, Twist, 25-Dec-13 09:15 PM, #1
Top General Discussions Announcements Twist the Season to Be Jolly Topic #150 Previous topic | Next topic