Subject: "News and gossip are two different things" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #13371
Show all folders

DurNominatorSat 10-Jun-06 04:00 AM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13395, "News and gossip are two different things"

Firstly, town criers aren't gossip mongers, they are personnel hired by the town to announce news. So let's keep these two separate.

So, a town crier would announce the official news given to him by city officials and in possibly in protected cities Blood Tribunal leaders. Also, possible advertisements from city merchants can be considered if they pay the city adminstration for it.

These announcements could be either yelled at noon in the city or told at request. I think town criers would give more feel of the city adminstration handling things in the city.

Now, the second part, gossiping. Innkeepers have been known to tell stories they hear from adventurers to entertain their patrons. By adding gossiping to Inns, maybe the Innkeeper would repeat things that he overheard(problem of filtering out the useless info is faced here), or something an adventurer gossiped to him. Or alternatively, tell forward only things heard from Heralds. This is the kind of gossip from adventurers stuff a respectable town crier wouldn't announce just because he overheard it(unless the city adminstration tells him to announce it).

So, I'd say it's a good idea if we keep the two separate, as both can add depth to the world in their own fields.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicIdea: News and gossips [View all] , Void, Fri 09-Jun-06 08:54 AM
Reply News and gossip are two different things, DurNominator, 10-Jun-06 04:00 AM #9
Reply its very rare I say this, laxman, 09-Jun-06 08:09 PM, #6
Reply More extensions, Void, 09-Jun-06 07:45 PM, #4
Reply Okay, because I like your ideas..., TheDude, 09-Jun-06 09:05 PM, #8
Reply Can I ask a practical question?, TheDude, 09-Jun-06 11:46 AM, #3
Reply RE: Can I ask a practical question?, Void, 09-Jun-06 07:55 PM, #5
     Reply Better... s'more ..., TheDude, 09-Jun-06 08:37 PM, #7
     Reply Frequency, DurNominator, 10-Jun-06 04:09 AM, #10
Reply I like this idea., Quixotic, 09-Jun-06 10:32 AM, #1
     Reply RE: I like this idea., Void, 09-Jun-06 10:51 AM, #2
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #13371 Previous topic | Next topic