Subject: "RE: How much would it cost me to buy CF?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Marketing CF Topic #787
Show all folders

UmironThu 21-Apr-16 08:55 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#794, "RE: How much would it cost me to buy CF?"

For me to give you a dollar figure would be silly since CF isn't mine to sell. If Scarabaeus (our current "main guy"), Matt Hamby, or the collective IMPs want to entertain a figure then that's their prerogative.

Putting a price on CF is tricky because it's not just a function of how much revenue and profit it generates and what sale price makes walking away from that a good business decision. You're asking people (or a person, maybe, I don't know) to put a price tag on something that a handful of people have worked really hard on for a very long time, and subsequently to give control of that thing to someone who may not treat it with respect or care, forever. Folks should consider that.

Of course, if you have a non-trivial amount of money to do something like that and you have the desire to invest your own time into maintaining a game, you already have the resources to hire very talented people to create your vision for you, or even just rip us off if that's what you want.

Lastly, on top of the fact that selling CF would probably be against the wishes of almost all of the dozens of people who have put real, serious, not-armchair-game-running effort into the game, there's also the ethical issue surrounding the legality. The DikuMUD license prohibits anyone (us, you, anyone) from profiting from DikuMUD or a derivative work. We've always taken the DikuMUD (and Merc/ROM) license seriously and I would hope that we always will.

I just don't see it happening, sorry. But seriously, if trading money for not having to do all the work yourself is the proposition that interests you most, there are literally thousands of freelance programmers and writers out there who would be more than happy to make you the game you want. If that vision amounts to CF without all the #### Umiron/Valg/Obama ruined then that's what you'll have and if it steals all our players then that will be that, I guess.

Good luck. Running a MUD is a satisfying, agonizing, thankless, rewarding, fun, boring, ####ty, awesome experience. You build the game you want to build and play the game you want to play and we'll do the same. But if all this amounts to is coveting thy neighbors MUD then you're probably out of luck because I don't imagine CF will ever be for sale, or so I hope.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicHow much would it cost me to buy CF? [View all] , Bubthegreat, Wed 20-Apr-16 06:42 AM
Reply RE: How much would it cost me to buy CF?, Umiron, 21-Apr-16 08:55 PM #7
Reply From a legal perspective though, Kstatida, 22-Apr-16 04:29 AM, #10
     Reply RE: From a legal perspective though, Umiron, 22-Apr-16 06:20 AM, #11
          Reply I'm semi-trolling, Kstatida, 22-Apr-16 07:44 AM, #12
Reply I imagine if you had a billion dollars to spend on it, ..., Destuvius, 20-Apr-16 01:57 PM, #1
     Reply RE: I imagine if you had a billion dollars to spend on ..., Bubthegreat, 21-Apr-16 03:10 AM, #2
          Reply On a serious note then, Destuvius, 21-Apr-16 05:19 AM, #3
          Reply That's just a bad investment., Bubthegreat, 21-Apr-16 06:49 AM, #4
               Reply RE: That's just a bad investment., Destuvius, 21-Apr-16 08:20 AM, #5
                    Reply Well this is mature, Kstatida, 21-Apr-16 11:14 AM, #6
                    Reply RE: That's just a bad investment., Bubthegreat, 22-Apr-16 02:24 AM, #8
                         Reply As far as I can see, Kstatida, 22-Apr-16 04:20 AM, #9
          Reply You're starting assumption is wrong., Jormyr, 23-Apr-16 12:24 PM, #13
Top General Discussions Marketing CF Topic #787 Previous topic | Next topic