Subject: "RE: www.carrionfields.com port 9999 connects to another MUD now." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Marketing CF Topic #723
Show all folders

RoshialanixTue 18-Dec-12 11:57 AM
Member since 02nd Nov 2012
6 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#725, "RE: www.carrionfields.com port 9999 connects to another MUD now."

It should be, although I'll admit I had not realized that port combo connected to another MUD. I did a little bit of digging though, and logged into that mud. Their website is listed as projectfiction.net, which coincidentally enough shares the same IP address as carrionfields.net and www.carrionfields.com. It looks like all three happen to be using the same (shared) host, riverwind.thirdhosting.com. It would probably be close to impossible to get that port number back short of changing to a different host that still has 9999 available, or creating a dedicated server. I am unsure of what the current promised specs are for the current MUD host. I have however hosted a few MUDs in the past and if memory serves, the requirements are pretty low – just throw some RAM at it. Aside from the port number problem, I guess I’m somewhat confused as to how .com is already pointing to what I assume is “the right place” while the subdomain is pointing elsewhere. I would assume that the imms deliberately have the web server separated from the MUD (makes perfect sense from a security standpoint), and so I guess I am somewhat confused. I find myself with three possibilities:

1.) Whoever bought out carrionfields.com when the hosting lapsed happens to be using the exact same host and shared server (seems fairly unlikely)
2.) The imms in fact already own carrionfields.com (hadn’t realized that the forums were still .com when I did my initial post), but do not have access to the DNS Manager for it, or do not have carrionfields.com set up as a vhost on the web server.
3.) I may have no clue whatsoever how you are actually set up. Some clarification by whoever’s in charge of the website may be in order
Any one of these possibilities has a potential solution. I guess at this point I would just like a little clarification, either via this board or PM/Email if preferred.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topic.com domain name [View all] , Roshialanix, Mon 17-Dec-12 05:39 PM
Reply www.carrionfields.com port 9999 connects to another MUD..., DurNominator, 18-Dec-12 09:59 AM, #1
     Reply RE: www.carrionfields.com port 9999 connects to another..., Roshialanix, 18-Dec-12 11:57 AM #2
          Reply Jullias still has carrionfields.com (n/t), Zulghinlour, 18-Dec-12 12:24 PM, #3
               Reply Uh... What?, Tac, 18-Dec-12 02:05 PM, #4
                    Reply RE: Uh... What?, Roshialanix, 18-Dec-12 03:41 PM, #5
                         Reply Don't worry about it (n/t), Zulghinlour, 18-Dec-12 08:32 PM, #6
                              Reply Is the general stance that if players want to assist wi..., Lhydia, 18-Dec-12 08:52 PM, #7
                                   Reply No, it means I'm taking care of it (n/t), Zulghinlour, 18-Dec-12 09:41 PM, #8
Top General Discussions Marketing CF Topic #723 Previous topic | Next topic