Subject: "RE: Racial Language(s)?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #90
Show all folders

KarithiaThu 27-Mar-03 05:51 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
26 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#102, "RE: Racial Language(s)?"

>>>Being creative is very important. The way people speak/type is the most powerful first impression tool on the mud. And its not poor RP. There have been _several_ top-notch players who speak with accents or in strange languages, its interesting.<<<<

Yes, being creative is very important. The way people speak adds flare to a character, however SPEAKING a langauge that would be considered a main langauge among a race and the rest of that race having no clue what you are saying is Poor Role Play. Now if your language was an off shoot of a normal language (ie a different dilect of elven) that would be fine. However too many people say this is Elven, this is Dark Elven. That does not fly when the rest of the world doesn't understand it.

>>>>As Vella Ar'Tzar (Storm warrior in Troupe years ago) I spoke broken english, in stages based on my age. When young I spoke mostly stormish, and let my "common" develop until he finally keeled over of old age. I found that the trick was consistancy. I used the same words for the same thing all the time. And if I needed to express something new in stormish, I would make something up write it down and remember to use it _always_ for that time. I still have friends who talk to me in stormish, and I've been flattered to hear storm giants on the mud, running around saying "Kellesh!"(hello) to one an other. It annoyed some people *cough Twist* *cough Nepenthe* but I didn't care, I found for ever person who hatted me for speaking stormish, I had 5 others talking back in stormish. It can get annoying if you speak gibberish, but when done correctly it can be quite contageous.<<<<

Yes, some people's preceptive would believe this to be a good role-play. Some would not. Consistency is a key element to good role-play. Heck, I remember Vella, it was the consistency and the ability to change over time and during circustances made the character good, not the fact he spoke stormish.

>>>>There's plenty of language articles in the lyceum, it would be wicked cool if people used the ones already written. Even the greetings, what would you say in response to a felar who greeted you with "Mree!" Probably "Hello!" or some such thing. While I don't think that it should be hard coded into the mud (with the Minotaur exception of course) There's still more languages out there to be discovered, roll a Herald and scribble down everything you can think of and get it in the Lyceum.<<<<

Now you see, that would be great and fine. Why? Because it is a langauge that is in the game and that people could learn if they choose too.

>>>>Well, sorry I'm a bit long winded. All in all, as an Imm I think you should encourage people trying to be creative and add some depth to thier character. Sometimes its a good crutch for newer people trying to get the technical aspect of their game up. As it was for me and Vella. As an imm you're seen as a leader, lead on, lead by example.<<<<

As I said, being creative is good, however there are times for the plain ole simple warrior, the intelligent mage, daring thief, humble priest, and couragous paladin. Always remember, consistancy is the biggest key to roleplaying. If you can handle that, that alone will make many people good roleplayers. Filter in stuff like emotes, speech patterns, and the ball park begins to fill. Hope that makes some sense.

Karithia

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT TopicRacial Language(s)? [View all] , Xandrya, Thu 20-Mar-03 02:16 PM
Reply RE: Racial Language(s)?, Karithia, 20-Mar-03 05:24 PM, #2
Reply Another way it could work, Hutto, 20-Mar-03 06:48 PM, #3
Reply RE: Another way it could work, incognito, 20-Mar-03 08:15 PM, #4
     Reply Yup., Valguarnera, 20-Mar-03 09:07 PM, #5
          Reply Well what about hard coded racial languages?, Vladamir, 27-Mar-03 03:08 AM, #8
          Reply I don't care for this idea, myself, Yanoreth, 27-Mar-03 08:55 PM, #13
               Reply RE: I don't care for this idea, myself, Valguarnera, 27-Mar-03 09:10 PM, #14
               Reply Awww.....Bing back Pose, and Puff too while your at it., Seanaroo, 28-Mar-03 10:59 AM, #16
               Reply Bring back coconuts! n/t, Boogie, 20-Apr-03 07:07 PM, #18
               Reply RE: I don't care for this idea, myself, Vladamir, 29-Apr-03 04:05 PM, #19
                    Reply RE: I don't care for this idea, myself, Valguarnera, 29-Apr-03 08:48 PM, #20
                    Reply We were each addressing two sides of the same issue, Yanoreth, 29-Apr-03 10:45 PM, #21
                    Reply RE: We were each addressing two sides of the same issue, Quislet, 30-Apr-03 04:05 AM, #23
                    Reply A middle ground translation., Quislet, 30-Apr-03 03:52 AM, #22
          Reply 'Dark Elf', Evil Genius (Anonymous), 27-Mar-03 02:40 PM, #10
               Reply RE: 'Dark Elf', Krivohan, 27-Mar-03 04:28 PM, #11
                    Reply RE: 'Dark Elf', Snyto, 28-Mar-03 03:29 AM, #15
Reply RE: Racial Language(s)?, Xandrya, 20-Mar-03 09:35 PM, #6
Reply RE: Racial Language(s)?, Ladrias, 23-Mar-03 03:14 PM, #7
Reply RE: Racial Language(s)?, Seanaroo, 27-Mar-03 02:12 PM, #9
     Reply RE: Racial Language(s)?, Karithia, 27-Mar-03 05:51 PM #12
          Reply RE: Racial Language(s)?, Seanaroo, 28-Mar-03 11:00 AM, #17
Reply RE: Racial Language(s)?, Krivohan, 20-Mar-03 02:23 PM, #1
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #90 Previous topic | Next topic