Subject: "A long explanation of your question on damage roll increases." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4728
Show all folders

KoeKhaosWed 17-May-17 06:03 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
400 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4732, "A long explanation of your question on damage roll increases."

TL;DR = damage verbs are harder to increase at higher ends due to increased damage range for each verb.

Now, most of what I am putting below is just going to be speculation since I don't have the code but comes from 20 years of observation, coding experience, and others posts so it may or may not be completely accurate. Weapons come in various forms and have various ranged of damage. Coding wise, I'd imagine a shapeshifter form has a weapon designed for it that you cannot see as it would be the best way to interact in the combat code. Consider the following ave 28 weapon dice rolls.

All of these are avg 28 weapons with the dice roll possibilities in the parenthesis:
8d6 (8 - 48)
7d7 (7 - 49)
14d3 (14 - 42)
4d13 (13 - 42)

This means the range of damage for each of these average 28 weapons is in the range of those parenthesis. I'd imagine the weapon dice roll for each form is different and custom made for that form but likely the high damage forms are similiar, or likely higher, than this.

So then if you have an ave 28 weapon and you have 20 damage roll:
ave 28 + 20 dam = 48 damage average but depending on weapon would be randomly between 27 to 69 damage which is a range of damage verb between decimate and MASSACRE. I'm also pretty sure is a damage range smoothing algorithm that tries to keep your damage closer to the weapon average since the extremes don't seem to occur that often.

Now, let's say enhanced damage is 25% increased damage, I think it might be more but not sure:

48 damage + 25% enhanced damage = 60 damage average which is DISMEMBER with a range from 34 to 86 damage or maim to MANGLE

Say then you have 50 damage roll instead
ave 28 + 50 dam = 78 damage (99 max) + 25% enchanced damage = 98 (123 max) average damage here is just barely below ***DEMOLISH** and will show MANGLE - ***DEMOLISH*** most often.

Note that the amount of damage between damage verbs after MASSACRE starts increasing a lot. So instead of only 15 or so damage in the MASSACRE verb range you get 30 in *** DEMOLISH *** and like 50 in *** DEVASTATE *** range. This means you would need a LOT of increase in damage roll to see a damage verb increase past MASSACRE on a form. You are still doing more damage oin average, by the amount of damage roll added, but the verbs won't shift as much. Hope this answers your question!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicForm queries [View all] , FurShift. (Anonymous), Tue 16-May-17 09:04 AM
Reply RE: Form queries, KoeKhaos, 16-May-17 10:54 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Form queries, FurShifter. (Anonymous), 16-May-17 01:55 PM, #2
          Reply To compensate, Kstatida, 17-May-17 03:03 AM, #3
          Reply Shapeshifters have other perks too!, KoeKhaos, 17-May-17 06:10 AM, #5
          Reply A long explanation of your question on damage roll incr..., KoeKhaos, 17-May-17 06:03 AM #4
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4728 Previous topic | Next topic