Subject: "Bit o help." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #433
Show all folders

CassmanSat 19-Jun-04 03:06 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
257 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#436, "Bit o help."

>I think Thief is more my style, as I really love the idea of
>stealing, and escaping with my life, or having to use a heft
>amount of tactics in order to kill people and survive
just the
>same - it is much more satisfying to achieve victory when you
>do not have the inherent advantages.

On the right track, without a doubt. Scrolls, etc are a bit part of this, no matter what path you take. Sometimes bartering Eq for information is a good way to find some decent ones. Other thieves are usually good with telling you where you can buy some, since it doesn't take away from their supplies.

>I will probably end up playing both, however.
>
>Just a few more questions, which have been bugging me:
>
>When you sneak, what determines how well you are hidden? Your
>skill in it from 0%-100%, or the level difference between you
>and the onlooker (or both)?

Sneak is just about moving undetected, the % is your chance of 'being in sneak mode'. It also shows up on your Affects list. Hide success is also in the %, but you won't know for sure without someone to tell you.

>If you are hidden in a room, do people see "Someone is here."
>Or, do they simply remain entirely unaware of a presence in
>the area?

If you are hidden, noone sees anything, except people who can see you (other thieves, assassins, duergar, tribunals) who see you with a (Hide) flag. Usually if you do something (movement wise) you'll step out of the shadows, which you get an echo for.

>Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have any tips on
>playing a Thief in the younger levels - specifically a Duergar
>or Svirfnebli? IE: Which race is more suitable in general for
>a Thief? Is playing an evil Duergar more dangerous for me as a
>new player, getting used to things? What might be the
>advantages one would have over the other (in application,
>rather than on paper)?

I would suggest Arial - (High Int for learning skills, and High Dex for pulling off those skills, autofly). For Assassin and Thief both really.
Human - decent overall stats, no exp penalty.
Svirfnebli - Ok choice for thief. inherent detect invis is good, ok Int, good Wis (more practices, and learning off mistakes and ranks) Ok Dex. being neutral might help with less enemies. Nothing great, but ok choice overall.
Duerg - I wouldn't pick this first time. You've got good strength and dex, but you can already see Hidden as a skill, and too many people would hunt you.

As far as good/evil, I would pick Good, or Neutral. Neutrals naturally have fewer enemies. Good's usually help each other, so you might get a Hero to help you out, if you're on their side.

>Sorry to be so inquisitive, and thank you very much for your
>assistance.
>
>- Anonymous

As Far as the Thief Paths go, I'd start with City Ties. All the way. Then see if you can pick up any of the first skills from another path. (I don't think you can, but you can look) If you had another path in mind, do all of that path, then pick up skills from the other guilds. Doing this you will find out what skills you really want, and which you can live without, thereby making it easier for you to mix paths later on. Generally those that play thieves, will play more than one, changing a little each time. You may or may not get 'how far can I go in this path, and then in this path' information from an IG Guildmate, but you've got a better chance than on the forums for sure.

As with everything, your goals have alot to do with it. Race and Alignment, Cabal(if any) and such will all shape your choices. Maybe play a thief up to 20 or so, and then see what you think. Maybe keep going, maybe reroll with your new information and knowledge of things.

-Cassman-

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicA few questions from an old player returning. [View all] , Thaelog, Sat 19-Jun-04 12:44 PM
Reply RE: A few questions from an old player returning., Qaledus, 19-Jun-04 01:35 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Hmm., Thaelog, 19-Jun-04 02:09 PM, #2
          Reply Bit o help., Cassman, 19-Jun-04 03:06 PM #3
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #433 Previous topic | Next topic