Subject: "A different perspective on roleplaying." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2903
Show all folders

FjarnTue 02-Nov-10 08:13 PM
Member since 03rd Jun 2008
173 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2903, "A different perspective on roleplaying."

I came across a Dean Koontz article that, in part, answered the question, "How do you come up with your villains?" His response struck a chord with me that resonated with my most enjoyable characters. Whether you're just starting out, stuck in a roleplaying rut, or just looking for a different angle, maybe this will help put things in a new perspective. It's actually pretty close to how I've approached roleplaying in some of my favorite incarnations.

http://www.kindlepost.com/2010/10/guest-blogger-dean-koontz.html

"Another frequently asked question is "How do you create such bizarre, yet convincing and terrifying villains?" The glib answer is to say I watch the evening news. In fact, however, the antagonists in my novels create themselves, just as do the protagonists. I conceive a character around a seed of truth, some essential fact that lies at the core of him, then I give him free will, and I discover more about him as the story unfolds. Sometimes, when characters surprise me with their revelations, it seems as if they are indeed real, that I am writing in a kind of dream state that allows me to bridge this world with some parallel reality and tap the consciousness of people living there, rendering them as characters in my novels."

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicA different perspective on roleplaying. [View all] , Fjarn, Tue 02-Nov-10 08:13 PM
Reply Benedryl fueled roles to the rescue!, MoetEtChandon, 03-Nov-10 03:26 PM, #2
Reply Benedryl, Tsunami, 03-Nov-10 04:38 PM, #3
Reply Good Post, Homard, 02-Nov-10 09:36 PM, #1
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2903 Previous topic | Next topic