Subject: "500 steps forward then 3 steps backward." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #278
Show all folders

RutsahFri 07-Nov-03 11:13 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
19 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#278, "500 steps forward then 3 steps backward."

Without trying to brag about myself ill simply state that im a pre-purge player. I have seen CarrionFields move from strength to strength, here and there they have made some large mistakes but in general I think they have done well in most of their Implimentation. During the 1st age and the beginning of the 2nd age the immortals went on a rampage getting rid of all the stupid and silly death traps and character trap zones. For example one way passage rooms that allow you to walk in, but not to get out, rooms where you cannot recall or be summoned out but instead where you had to die of starvation/thirst. These such sections of the game basically right royally pissed of the players and wasted their time.

Im not against having a death trap in a area, or something of the sort (insert elven vaults, spiked pits in modan, mountains southeast of hamsah, viper pit in manor etc).

What I am against is having stupid death traps that basically isolate either all players or just a small chunk of players. I had not loged in for a couple weeks due to irl work, I loged in and ran from memory to where I thought X should be. Little did I know but the whole area had been yanked and replaced by a new area. Now that would have been fine had the entrance to that area not been a !@#)(*!@# up death trap.

Seriously I was quiet shocked. I thought about it for a while, tried to work out if there was some trick to it, or some fancy code or prog that would have enabled someone to get out of that said situation, but there wasnt(to my knowledge). The replacement area for Gehenna might be a perfectly good area, It might be incredibly well made, but its connection to the rest of the mud is just stupid.

A) , Newbie choosen arkham as a home town, does a little bit of exploring. Under 20 rooms from the alter he walks into a death trap and dies. Bravo.
b) , any non flyer falls straight into that trap. Not much of a biggy - assuming you can kill all those eels, then quaff a fly and escape.
C) , any non flyer non magic user (insert rager) basically dies straight off. Now yes I have a bias towards ragers since I love them hugely. But I just think that this is going to far, Especially since its at the entrance to the area.

D) I understand that some zones simply are just nogo. But they are through restrictions and not through traps of the sort. This is a game for everyone to play, One would hope, and not for a select few classes/races to play.

I viewed this death trap as like (tho not in ratio of) having half the mud only accessable to gnomes, due to size restrictions on rooms, but anyone who tried to move into a room that was to small for them would get stuck unable to move and would have to die of hunger/thirst to get out. Yes I know its only a small proportion of the player base. All battle/non arial/cloud players, but I still think the entrance should be changed. Imagine if all players could enter the whirlpool on the ocean, even without Underwater Breathe up. Think of all the bitching and moaning from all the people without word/passdoor/ub. Yes im a minority, but a minority that is limited hugely enough as is and doesnt need more and more restrictions placed apon them.

Is battle being phased out ? - this is a serious question.

Battle powers seem to be getting more and more reduced, now areas and traps are starting to crop up again which are a kick whilst we are down. Thirst has so many downsides to it that they far far far out weight the benifits, spam aggie, noeat/drink - burns your food/drink, battle fatigue - no regen , no hp display, no damage display, and all this for haste - and area spellbane (which whilst thirsting still doesnt work for ####. Thirst used to be a nasty backfireable skill. Now its a Hey im stupid and I use thirst skill. Why not have nightwalkers eat away con every time they die, and stop all hp/mv/mana regen on players whilst they have them, and also have the nightwalkers aggie anything that is good align, also have its health unobtainable from look gr glance etc. Or perhaps to make sylvans cham cost xp per hour, use hp/mv/mana whilst camoed, slow them for 10 hours.

I just dont see why all these huge negatives are being added time and time again to battle and battle only. It might just be me and I might just be the lone soul crying out. Id really like to hear some answers - moreso to hear what is actually happening. I really dont want to give up ragers or this mud. But the immortals are sure as hell trying to encourage it from my perspective.

Disclaimer: Please dont preach about how overpowered all rager powers are, their sacrifice of no magic use is massive, Their sacrifice of no magical item use is even huger (stupid in my view). If you have ever played a rager to hero you know how you can never be anywhere near as good as anyone who uses magic to its full potential.

Many thanks in advance to any constructive replies to this post, I eagerly await immortal replies to know if im truely wasting my time and battle is infact being phased out.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topic500 steps forward then 3 steps backward. [View all] , Rutsah, Fri 07-Nov-03 11:13 AM
Reply RE: 500 steps forward then 3 steps backward., Kalageadon, 23-Oct-03 07:48 PM, #5
Reply Pro: Post removed, Yanoreth, 07-Nov-03 11:14 AM, #6
     Reply Yeah, sorry about that., (NOT Pro), 11-Nov-03 08:04 PM, #7
Reply RE: 500 steps forward then 3 steps backward., Valguarnera, 14-Oct-03 12:13 PM, #3
Reply RE: 500 steps forward then 3 steps backward., Hutto, 14-Oct-03 05:56 PM, #4
Reply RE: 500 steps forward then 3 steps backward., A2, 14-Oct-03 11:45 AM, #2
Reply RE: 500 steps forward then 3 steps backward., Blachmianan, 14-Oct-03 10:25 AM, #1
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #278 Previous topic | Next topic