Subject: "RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Quivdereayeh Vyr'kyree the Wa..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #143684
Show all folders

yrbluesSat 19-Nov-22 04:57 PM
Member since 17th May 2020
8 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#143686, "RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Quivdereayeh Vyr'kyree the Wa..."

Okay! Going to put this goodbye thread together before I get any further away from recent memory, I’m already struggling to remember every turn, every character, and every useful tidbit coming out of the last ten months of playing Quiv. If I neglect to mention you, please know I’ll probably remember you if you say hi and am happy to reminisce or trade insults or cookie recipes. I love this game because of the enforced RP but the game has stakes and is exciting because of PK and permadeath. The PK part is clearly the draw for some folks, and that’s rad, but I am terrible at it. I’m also not succinct and make excessive use of parentheticals, I’m sorry (not sorry). Let’s go!

Firsts: This is my first Con Death or Age Death character, I’ve usually tired out of a role around the 100 hour mark/reaching hero, especially in my last two characters (both Acolytes, I built one to play with the centaur race and one to worship Padwei) since coming back to play the game during the pandemic. This is my first warrior taken to hero and my first warrior taken far enough to experiment with Legacies. I got Vanguard’s Legacy as part of a role contest win (thank you!) and opted to do Flow of Shadows (which fired constantly for me, 10/10, though more so with mobs than with players) and Soul of the Mountain (never regretted taking even though I know people love their STSF). With the healing edges I survived okay and definitely needed Soul of the Mountain, but it might just be my playstyle. Losing specs definitely made part of my game difficult, but more on that in a bit. This is not my first Acolyte but it was my first Squire which is how Quiv initially joined the Fortress (thanks Coqui!). I developed a routine for coin gathering and prep gathering that I’ll probably carry over to future characters, just all in all I learned a lot. My play times tend to be in spurts, so part of the reason for my short lived characters is that I might do thirty minutes or an hour at a time and might have to skip a weekend or two, but the characters have lived in my head for many months. Still, north of 400 hours is way longer than any of my previous characters.

Redemption Arc: So yeah, not for the gimme-power-now folks or for short lived characters, it was a lot of work. But that helped me justify playing the character a lot longer than I might have with a more standard role (or at least for my standard role ideas). It gave me new things to discover and while it was tough to watch folks come and go, ironically that meant new relationships, new challenges, and me nervously telling folks my backstory terrified they’d already heard it twice (or seven times) before. The first thing that happened was a mix of acceptance (Dohri!) and rejection (Rolen!) and a visit with the androsphinx (who flew to the ashes of nowhere for me) followed by my first screw-up, hugging a boy / strangling a boy to death (if you know, you know). From that I got my second task which was to find folks who would speak testimonial on my behalf, I picked ten which was… hard. That took up most of the second act of the character. Thanks to everyone who did that: Dohri, Gwendelya, Kastravan, Kaide, Traebaurius, Coqui, Prixm, Tarook, Neryndaen, and Voronwe. The last four along with a couple of other folks got to see my actual redemption to be good (though Darsylon never got the message), which was really special and exciting. Before that in a fun side quest, I got turned neutral which was when I lost specs. I would not get them back until after Baer and I worked through a separate quest making me uninducted and reinducted (from Squire to Scribe). I liked playing Squire even though I suck at PK (and therefore likely would have struggled to make Maran) in part because without specs it gave me some combat prowess and in part just because I hadn’t played it before. Quiv was totally an Acolyte through and through, everyone saw that and said so, but I was also a little trepidatious about playing another Aco, but it all worked out (until it didn’t when my literal last death was to altruism-ing a dwarf, DON’T DO THAT ACO’S). All in all while I won’t be doing another redemption arc (or corruption arc, I suppose) any time soon, I do think it’s a super fun thing to do and in that sense, I recommend it. But good gosh, please be nice to the poor Imms that have to do so much work (so much more than I can even imagine) behind the scenes to facilitate it. Speaking of…

Immortals: Dang y’all, this game feels more like a multi-DM D&D world than ever. I’ve had experiences with a lot of the folks separately and have always felt lucky to have immteraction moments and this character had them in spades. First up, thank you Neajess for the role contest (TLDR at that point, Quiv’s backstory was just a young drow brought up to the surface with a paladin because that paladin had an affair with Quiv’s mom and Quiv killed her dad, an Imperial, who murdered her mom because of the affair, there was a half-brother who didn’t know he was Quiv’s half-brother, who of course also died, it was a whole thing) which was a nice boost early on making me feel like I had something to build upon. Baerinika, thank you so much for even letting me in to your shrine to say hi, (the moment where the first time you saw me on Cabal chat and simply addressed me as “Dark-elf” made me giggle at the screen happily) and while we didn’t speak too much, the quest you put me on to gather things that reflected the change from Squire to Scribe was a good one. I have logs of it and intended to add it to my role but felt like after 35 chapters (sorry to whatever mess my PBF looks like) I decided ending at redemption was the right stopping point. I’m not sure who was the little boy at the lake who exchanged rocks with Quiv, but that’s a top five experience in CF for me, so thank you. Who am I leaving out… oh yes, the little Lady.

Azorrine: After playing Derrideigh and taking a break, I thought, maybe I should make a redemption character and follow Az, she seems really swell. It had been a few months and I tried out a class or two but never went past level 30 (I did interact with Morius briefly on one of them and holy smokes), so when I started Quiv (sphere Mercy on purpose) and interacted with a few Acolytes including Dohri who told me there were two others also on redemption path (Dichael, who helped me rank more than anyone else, and Odren, who was a great RPer that I feel like I came to too late in their progress). Clearly I didn’t have that original of an idea, but I figured I’d roll with it and when I met Menahk-Niziim, he told me I had to report to him on my progress. I then started in earnest the series of absolutely wonderful, often hilarious, always uplifting (even when I was being chastised, usually with cause) conversations with Az. You are just fantastic and add so much to the game to so many folks, and I’ll stop gushing before it becomes embarrassing. I cannot fathom how much I might have annoyed you or taxed you, but you kept on guiding me along and giving me goals and it was just a truly special experience. Truly. I think I owe it to you to give you a break but I imagine at some point I’ll come back to eat an apricot once again.

Fortress: There is no way I will possibly do justice to remembering everyone who helped me here. In an attempt to call out folks I haven’t called out already, I want to say Olelladaria might have been on of my FAVORITE folks in Fort to RP with and when you stopped coming around I was sad. There were other Scribes and Acos that were great, but you were aces in my book. Thanks to the folks that were there right at the end too, Athald, Gralker, Gabooka, Helewarin, Khaykan, Kardea, Dathnas, Hoshkean (boy I wanted to debate with you more), Coqui (you freckled bee-keeper, thank you for your kind words early on and being my friend throughout the life of the character), Drovpar (you know what you did, err, I mean, what I did), and sweet baby Hanno (I’m so glad I didn’t get you killed and I hope you go on to do awesome things). There were like a million others, but I love team Fort. I will not be hanging out with you again for a while.

Tribunal: I went Orderly because I did consider going Trib since I haven’t played the cabal before. I’ve done Outlander a few times and have a soft spot for the Tree which usually sets me up to be in opposition with the Spire and this time wasn’t so different, especially developing an early alliance with Dichael. But there were some huge characters from Trib that had massive impacts on Quiv’s life that deserve a shout out even though I didn’t spend as much time with the broader group of folks there. First up, Tamazin might be my vote for the best character of the year. Your roleplaying was impeccable, you were nearly impossible to kill without a gang of folks and everything going the gang’s way, and I didn’t meet a single character who didn’t (even when it went against their moral code) speak of you in high regard. The last line you spoke to me was the most cutting thing anyone ever said to Quiv: “I used to be curious about you, I’m not anymore.” Well done, seriously. I wish Quiv had been able to sit in the gray more, she couldn’t for obvious reasons, you were evil and interacting with you outside of a few tell’s was too much for her to justify. Mezai on the other hand felt like a friend from the get-go. I enjoyed talking to you every chance I got and always smiled when I saw you around. Reginold, you hard headed perfect law-boy, I think Quiv RPing with Reginold about the Light and the Law were some of my favorite moments in debate and dialogue. Quiv did a mean thing to Reginold and got called out for it, rightly, but you handled it so well. I had two GMKs that were honest to goodness accidents, but the drama between us felt like the only intentionally cruel thing I ever did. Really enjoyed that story beat.

Empire: I was fighting Imperials since before you born, kiddo. There were several great rivalries here, including the period where there was an Imperial bounty on my head as a betrayer. Thokran in particular was so fun to fight, as was Nonghot. I am leaving out a dozen or so great Imperial characters, but I always enjoyed capture the flag with y’all, and only regret there weren’t as many chats but that’s the nature of team Light versus team Darkness & Order.

The Orcs: All right, this is the first time I became a HUGE FAN of the orcs. There’s only two or three of you at once, at least when I’m playing, but every time it was a blast to fight y’all. Sometimes you seemed easy to beat, other times you seemed impossible to hold off or retrieve from. It was a nice game of back and forth and I loved the few RP moments we had. Every tell I ever had with an orc made me laugh. Such good work, and class acts too. I remember the days of full loot/sac as SOP, and I can say orcs never took more than one or two things from me, and I had an orc hand over something or leave a replacement for something they took more than once. Does it make sense for an orc to do that? I don’t know, but it makes the game more fun. Thank you and the PBF will 100% show y’all as the biggest PKers of Quiv, even with the assistance of an androsphinx (I should have called for help earlier, I know, I know). ORC ORC ORC

Tago: A quick aside and my only grief/gripe, you were absolutely the pillar of “a thief exists to ruin someone else’s day”. Stealing containers is a totally in-game thing, you’re not breaking any rules. But I lost RP specific items to you and that really left me bummed. I’m mainly singling you out because you weren’t part of a cabal. This feels like the only appropriate forum to go OOC about it, and I’m sure it’s in keeping with your character or whatever. Grumbling over.

Outlander: Rinn was a friend to me from the start and such a lovely character. I had many friends in the tree including Sedna, Tuna, Breniron, Velanna, and several others. I have a soft spot as I said for the cabal and really love the lore built there.

Scion: Team Evil Secrets is always fun, similar to Empire in that it’s a lot more capture the flag than lengthy discussions and relationship building, but I did spend a lot of time talking with Iliunezyn. I’ll not give away your secrets, but you’re a great RPer and a fun foil, and no, I’m not going with you into that church. No matter what weird de-aging miracle cures you’re selling.

Village: I had a few real close pals in the Village, but generally I didn’t travel with anyone other than folks who were of the Light and weren’t trying to kill my magic wielding friends. Lyrien and I had several fun runs together on a few quests along with a raid or two. I’ve always been intimidated in joining Battle because of the PK requirements. Maybe one day.

Herald: I have not made a Herald since I started playing again, but they were my go-to cabal back when I was in college. Gwen right at the start was up for my redemption, it was fun to explore with you and hang with you. Kytria was a huge influence on my character, your painting became a chapter in my role (which I’m so thankful for because otherwise it would have been lost to a previously mentioned container theft). Your arc was FASCINATING to me as a player and I hope you as a player come back to the game because you add a lot to it. Luxon was just the nicest guy you’ll ever meet, thank you for putting up with a certain High Herald. The current crop of Heralds as a whole are top notch, there are great storytellers, fantastic RPers, and the incomparable kelp-beer superstar Krim at the top. Thank y’all for being so fun to hang around and everyone did an amazing job in the character contest. Who am I forgetting?

Tilea: My dangerous night’s crewmate. My clubbing compatriot. My single favorite person to RP with (even when I was being RP’d at). Tilea was a whirlwind from start to finish and I have never enjoyed banter within CF more so than with you. There were nights, especially during the rough slog of losing my specs but not yet being Good, that the main thing I was doing was waiting for folks to do testimonials and you pal, buddy, best friend, were the most exciting thing I had going. More than once, I would log on and if your name wasn’t there, I would put in fifteen to twenty minutes, and then log off. I wish you had stayed around longer. I cannot wait for us to meet again as someone else. SQUIGGLES!

Again, there is no way I’ve included everyone I should and so I deeply apologize for leaving you out. Thanks to everyone for this amazing journey and for helping me out (I’m still very permanewb) and just interacting with the drow who wanted to be good. Walk brightly and strike true, brothers and sisters.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topic(CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Quivdereayeh Vyr'kyree the Wayfar... [View all] , Death_Angel, Fri 18-Nov-22 10:40 PM
Reply RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Quivdereayeh Vyr'kyree the Wa..., yrblues, 19-Nov-22 04:57 PM #1
     Reply RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Quivdereayeh Vyr'kyree the Wa..., Reginold Bryt (Anonymous), 19-Nov-22 07:22 PM, #2
     Reply RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Quivdereayeh Vyr'kyree the Wa..., Gwendelya (Anonymous), 19-Nov-22 09:30 PM, #3
     Reply RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Quivdereayeh Vyr'kyree the Wa..., Oareayatin (Anonymous), 19-Nov-22 09:53 PM, #4
     Reply RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Quivdereayeh Vyr'kyree the Wa..., Tamazin (Anonymous), 20-Nov-22 08:26 AM, #5
     Reply fun, and more importantly..., Dallevian, 20-Nov-22 10:04 AM, #6
     Reply RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Quivdereayeh Vyr'kyree the Wa..., Azorinne, 20-Nov-22 01:47 PM, #7
     Reply RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Quivdereayeh Vyr'kyree the Wa..., Odaza (Anonymous), 21-Nov-22 09:01 PM, #8
          Reply Yeah, that comment was/is odd, Calion, 24-Nov-22 07:11 AM, #9
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #143684 Previous topic | Next topic