Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Santa Zulg 2011
Topic subjectSanta Zulg changes item destruction
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=71&topic_id=280
280, Santa Zulg changes item destruction
Posted by Zulghinlour on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Monk's post about making respond a bit more player-friendly got me thinking, and here are the results...

- Items that would be destroyed are now Broken. This affects weapon breaker, shifter shatter, shield cleave, deflect shield, twist, stoneshatter, paladin respond, dent, acid storm & acid rooms.
- You can repair broken items at any shopkeeper who would normally buy that type of item
- The cost of repair is determined by the item limit & item level (higher level, lower limit = higher repair cost)
- You can't use items that are broken (when they become broken, they will instantly drop into your inventory)
- With these changes I improved the success rate of shield cleave, weapon breaker and deflect shield.
- I improved the damage when dent breaks something, and added an affect based on material type

See HELP BROKEN
349, My only concern
Posted by Zephon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
How will this work for outlanders? It probably would be fitting for them to have someone to barter with to fix them.
Perhaps even at a reduced repair cost since you have to barter for it. I'm unsure.
Some other cabals it would make sense for too. But all other cabals dont have the same restrictions.

Unless there is already a mob for that for outlanders. I honestly dont know.

I definitely like the idea though.

Edit: Formatting
351, RE: My only concern
>How will this work for outlanders?

Brought up during my conversations with a few different Immortals, and I'm working on a solution for them right now.
377, Just a thought:
Posted by _Magus_ on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Maybe allow Outlanders to somehow do it magically through the tree for free, but add in some rather glaring drawbacks: Request-like lag and must be visible. Perhaps add in a success rate percentage too, so it doesn't work every time either.

Maybe allow subvert or vandalize to double as an intimidation tactic at the appropriate store? That would allow some room for failure/success rates, since they'd be getting repairs for free. Not sure what the goodie option for this would be.
328, I don't play so my opinion doesn't count. Having said that, I disagree with this change.
Posted by Graatch on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This is yet another step away from what cf has been - and what should be cherished - and toward world of warcraft. The whole concept of "like that sword? You'll have to kill that guy to get it!" or whatever the phrase is that is listed in the cf description is cheapened yet again. These item breaking skills, few and far between as they were, were part of the gear rotation process; the best example being the stoneform amulet and stoneshatter. But all those weapons the axe spec breaks, or the shifter shattered, etc., were available for someone else to get, perhaps someone not in that person's range who would otherwise never had the opportunity for that item.

I don't get a vote but I think it's a bad idea and I'd change it back.
329, RE: I don't play so my opinion doesn't count. Having said that, I disagree with this change.
>The whole concept of "like that sword? You'll have to kill that
>guy to get it!" or whatever the phrase is that is listed in
>the cf description is cheapened yet again.

Cheapened...right...because now you actually have to kill them instead of just destroy their gear and then go kill the mob to get that piece of gear back.
375, You can't say Graatch doesn't have perspective
Posted by Oldril on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I mean look how long he waited for the pendant heh
315, RE: Santa Zulg changes item destruction
Posted by GrahamC on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
splendid move sir
311, 2 quick questions about this code.....
Posted by Gaplemo on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
First off, progging weapons. Will weapons like the Axe of Mel-Kartha break items now, or will it still destroy them?

Second question, will the Disentigrate power/skill also go with this code? E.g. There is a certain mob in the game that shoots beams of light at you, destroying an item each time. Will this now break the items instead of destroying it?

All in all, super awesome code changes, very good for CF imo. Thanks!
314, Neither are changed (n/t)
n/t
308, Does this work on mobs too?
Posted by Gaspar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Example:

When taking down the kuo-toa king, makes it easier to cleave his shield if you just want the sword so he's not always snatching your weapons. Will this still work?
307, Thank you Santa Z, great Christmas gift! n/t
Posted by Obaznuk on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
n/t
294, That's.... awesome. Nicely done. nt
Posted by Wayward Knight on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
292, Add-on idea to this
Posted by Straklaw on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Whether dwarven inherent-style, warrior-esque edge, or specifically a quest ability, it seems certain characters might be suitable to learn how to repair weapons/armor themselves (perhaps using a forge?)
313, In the future you will likely see thigns like this (n/t)
n/t
291, Curious but...
Posted by Torak on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Possible for this to also affect the other two "griefers" abilities of fashion war banner and demons looting? Maybe they break a bunch of items instead of stealing/destroying them?
310, bleh
Posted by Scarabaeus on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The war banner incorporates looted items into a single war banner item, so breaking them wouldn't make much sense.

Demons want your pies, not to step on your pies.

312, Agreed (n/t)
n/t
316, RE: bleh
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I totally want to see the pie-stomping demon added to the game.

Morosa, Harmentia, Challegha, Mors-Gravis, and Pie-Stomper.
352, That combo is OP
Posted by Scrimbul on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Beer elemental and Pie-stomper.
325, Sorry
Posted by Torak on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Just given that my last conjurer got crap for having looting demons last time (they thought I stole all the weapons!), I felt bad for the newbies. Wouldn't change my world much.

Getting soft with age I guess.
326, Compromise?
Posted by fist-law on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
How about you lose 1 weapon when a demon molests your corpse, instead of all your stuff. This change would help newbies the most, but I'll admit I'd be a fan of it for myself as well.

As far as the banner, maybe give it some kind of limit as to what it takes? Perhaps it won't take more than one of any specific item type (with containers being a no-no altogether).
283, Thank you very much for this great change. nt
Posted by Artificial on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt