Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Santa Zulg 2007
Topic subjectCabal items.
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=134
134, Cabal items.
Posted by Dallevian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I'd like to see downing a cabal item be a bit more difficult than it currently is. Simply recalling after taking it and walking the few extra steps seems to easy and I would like to see it so characters have to walk back to down a taken item.

So. Make it so that a cabal item cannot take the strain of teleport or recall. If a character does this, the item is dropped on the ground in the room they recalled from for whoever to pick it up.

This would add a neat dynamic in making a last-ditch effort to defend an item. After a character takes the item, I can still kill them and take it but if they don't have the balls to fight me and decide to word/teleport away, I get my item back after my guardian repops.

Kinda messy post, sorry.

Oh. One more idea (this might be more of a gameplay issue), but how about having this work for retrievals too? After the outter is killed someone has to physically walk back to the guardian to finish retrieving the item. Or would this be too much like kicking a man while he is down?

That could be fun. And frustrating.
147, RE: Cabal items.
Posted by Adhelard on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Great idea, but I predict it will make cabal-defending assassins even more dangerous.

It's already bad trying to raid with anything less than 3 people against a stalking assassin.
135, Santa Zulg abies...
Posted by Zulghinlour on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>I'd like to see downing a cabal item be a bit more difficult
>than it currently is. Simply recalling after taking it and
>walking the few extra steps seems to easy and I would like to
>see it so characters have to walk back to down a taken item.
>
>So. Make it so that a cabal item cannot take the strain of
>teleport or recall. If a character does this, the item is
>dropped on the ground in the room they recalled from for
>whoever to pick it up.
>
>This would add a neat dynamic in making a last-ditch effort to
>defend an item. After a character takes the item, I can still
>kill them and take it but if they don't have the balls to
>fight me and decide to word/teleport away, I get my item back
>after my guardian repops.

This is done. I really like this idea. A little strategy in getting the item back. A last ditch-effort for the team losing their item. A little more danger for the team taking their item.

>Oh. One more idea (this might be more of a gameplay issue),
>but how about having this work for retrievals too? After the
>outter is killed someone has to physically walk back to the
>guardian to finish retrieving the item. Or would this be too
>much like kicking a man while he is down?

Not going to do this.
136, RE: Santa Zulg abies...
Posted by Brian S on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
With this change, is it possible then to make it so that as soon as a cabal item is removed from the altar, they powers of said cabal are gone as well. With this change, I can easily see Empire making it MUCH more difficult to raid, just by placing a bunch of centurions along the road. Or outlanders just waiting for people to leave the cabal and hit them with their trep powers and walking through all those forest area's. Make it as punishment for actually losing their item and if they can delay the foe long enough to not get back, all the better, but they shouldn't have the advantages of their item while its not within their firm grasp.
137, We'll see how it plays out...
>With this change, is it possible then to make it so that as
>soon as a cabal item is removed from the altar, they powers of
>said cabal are gone as well. With this change, I can easily
>see Empire making it MUCH more difficult to raid, just by
>placing a bunch of centurions along the road. Or outlanders
>just waiting for people to leave the cabal and hit them with
>their trep powers and walking through all those forest area's.
> Make it as punishment for actually losing their item and if
>they can delay the foe long enough to not get back, all the
>better, but they shouldn't have the advantages of their item
>while its not within their firm grasp.

As of now, I'm content to leave it as is. That IS the point of the change. You don't just get a free ride once you've taken the item. A little conflict on the way back is a good thing.
138, I think this change isn't bad, but...
Posted by Vortex Magus on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Its impact in cable dynamics is significant...

One of the most useful acolyte skills loses almost half its utility like this, raiding outlander becomes even more dangerous than it currently is - even if the defenders don't get back in time to save the item, they can ambush/snare/whatever on your way out, and centurions becomes even stronger than they already are. Ragers also have a slight boost (cause now everyone else pay the same penalty as the ragers do every time).

Oh, and I'm seeing annoying strategies in my head where the raiding team gives the item of power to a lowbie thief with no enemies in range to run it back for them, which adds a bit of strategy but removes most of the danger from the change...

Lastly, does this ban on movement skills apply to every movement skill, or just word and teleport?
139, RE: I think this change isn't bad, but...
>Its impact in cable dynamics is significant...

We'll see...I'm not convinced it's massive. I'm sure we'll see strategy change around raiding.

>Lastly, does this ban on movement skills apply to every
>movement skill, or just word and teleport?

It affects the same things that insect swarm does.
140, my only fear with this change
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
is thieves just squating and stealing. Truly the only defense against this tactic in the past for a lot of people has been instantanious word or teleport.

Perhaps have some sort of higher fail rate for cabal items. Or have stealing it pull you out of the shadows or something to at least make them risk a blackjack before stealing.
141, RE: my only fear with this change
Posted by Jhyrbian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Maybe make it so that once you have the item you can't hide/sneak/duo/recall/teleport. Thief steals from warrior, warrior bashes thief. The cycle continues. :)

Cheers,
Jhyrb
142, A way to deal with the thieves.
Posted by Dallevian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I've never tried this as of yet.

But just hold the cabal item like a light or wand or something. So if the item isn't holdable yet, make it holdable? That's a lot of sacrifice for most characters to deal with the threat of a thief.
143, Then thieves just became more powerful in raids.
Posted by GinGa on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
And lets face it, a little thief loving is awesome.

Yhorian
144, One small caveat
Posted by Mekantos on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Can we make this thing unstealable? I know, I know, everyone will want to be the cool thief who just waits on the road to swipe a hard-fought-for cabal item...but duuuude, that is just a bit much. Thieves will still hold power in this new scenario because they can jack someone and call the recently-driven-off cabal guys in to get their item back.

It also has a bit of logic in that if you just took a cabal item, you'd be watching the thing like a friggin hawk. Maybe make it so the items can be held?
145, RE: One small caveat
Posted by crackednotbroke on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Eh.. In all honesty, a thief that's good enough to not get caught stealing like that(city ties) doesnt have much else besides knocking out and stealing, so I feel it reasonable that they can steal it back. I'm thinking-- what if it was just HARDER to steal than the average item. I'm not sure if this is codeable, and if so how hard..but I think it's a good balance between the two(being able to steal it, and not being able to).
146, Just start carrying pocket lowbies when you raid. Like..rank 5 and 6ers n/t
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
ht