Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectEnding the debate: To prep or not to prep
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=8894
8894, Ending the debate: To prep or not to prep
Posted by Wilhath on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This idea came to me while reading Shokai's latest response on his Floofi thread, specifically the part about not prepping and "doing their fair share of damage."

How about if we put # of potions quaffed, pills eaten, protective wands zapped, etc. in the PBF? Better yet, what if we put the # of stoneskins/ABS/etc. used.

You don't have to say "Wilhath zapped himself with a 69 times." Just, "Wilhath had 'barrier' in his effects list 69 times."

Then we can really see how much prepping means. Of course, if you were to refuse this idea it'd just give more ammunition to the conspiracy theory crowd.
8944, RE: Ending the debate: To prep or not to prep
Posted by Eskelian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Some classes absolutely require prepping. Some don't, except for flight.

You need flight to stay competitive, otherwise you'll get ganged down in cabal defenses and raids and permalagged until you die. I don't like how everyone has to be flying around like god damned superman all the time, I think it kills realism and gives me a queasy nautious feeling regarding my RP to be constantly floating about.

When I imagine fights they come off as cheesy anime because everyone and their cousin has trip and in order to not get permalagged until death you have to perma-fly in solo vs group combat or group vs group combat. Its somewhat irritating.

Aside from that, warriors require prepping usually at hero, or a pet transmuter/invoker/healer/bard. Solo they definately need to prep if they want to fight more than one foe.

One thing I learned about being a solo PK'er is you don't tend to get a ton of solo vs solo fights when you're in a cabal near hero. It tends to usually be you against two guys or you against three guys so the ability to tank well and avoid permalag is a necessity.

Some classes like priests don't require a whole lot of prepping. Just flight/stoneskin for paladins/shamans and maybe stoneskin/slow for druids. Rangers require haste. I don't even consider it a maybe because you have such an incredibly short time frame to kill people in. Warriors need haste, flight, enlarge and reduce typically, sometimes stoneskin and protection as well. Thieves don't need much, maybe stoneskin. They shouldn't be tanking much. Mages typically require ABS, especially targetted casting mages (transmuters and necromancers mainly) for dealing with villagers due to spellbane and deathblow. Anybody without detect invis obviously needs that.

You could always just play priests, they require the least amount of prepwork. Bards and rangers do require some preps but theirs are 'easier' than warriors, because they can use staves. In a solo fight you probably don't need preps unless they're ridiculously prepped, or you could just make them waste their charges/potions and hit them later or hit them while they're gathering them. Its mostly when you need to retrieve against a couple people or have a cabal v cabal rumble that preps make the biggest difference.
8945, Uh thanks, but...you went off on your own tangent there :) nt
Posted by Wilhath on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
8946, RE: Uh thanks, but...you went off on your own tangent there :) nt
Posted by Eskelian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Other people read the boards besides you ;). I know you're fully aware of prepping, probably should've specified that.
8896, Doubt it
Posted by Khasotholas on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
- Then we can really see how much prepping means. Of course, if you were to refuse this idea it'd just give more ammunition to the conspiracy theory crowd

That crowd will always see a conspiracy. I've read how heavily edited our PBF's are, which makes me laugh. Posting such things really serves no purpose, is a lot of work, and unfortunately, I doubt it would dissuade any theorists.
8895, RE: Ending the debate: To prep or not to prep
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Of course, if you were to refuse this idea it'd just give more ammunition to the conspiracy theory crowd.

Or, it could mean we have things to work on that are more fun.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com
8936, You mean...
Posted by WildGirl on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You mean you're not willing to cater to our every whim for a mere $5? (which after it gets through paypal and back to you, passed around, equalled out, taxed, and then put in the register is actually twelve cents).
8939, Actually,
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
One of the two projects would add new information to the PBF.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com