Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectDeaf is overpowered
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=8074
8074, Deaf is overpowered
Posted by Rogue on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

Deaf - Noreply

Why are these commands in the game. Maybe if you just rolled
a character, and dont want the pre-11 range asking to group?

Other than that, and area explore (which doesnt seem right
using it in that sense) I cant come to think of the reasons for it.

This is what I deal with

Someone tells you whatever insults/taunting they tell you, then immediately use the deaf command as an ooc tool to frustrate the player. Even myself, in the past have been guilty of noreply
using hiding classes. But seeing it from the other end of the stick it just rubs me the wrong way. It is also imho bad form rp, to give interaction via words, be it insults or what have you,
then use the deaf command like a child to get the last word.

Ok.. so it's not against the rules. So I'm the badguy now, because my chars player is going to multikill the hell out of someone for being so petty. It just breeds bad juju.

I promote these commands no longer to be able to be used, unless pre-pk ranks, just for the sake of writing roles and what not.

I see no gain to using deaf/noreply other than as a tool of
ooc *sticks tongue out* and it's only going to create more ooc behavior.

IC I dont know how to respond to this. So.. I just pk them again.

Thoughts?
8080, RE: Deaf is overpowered
Posted by Rade on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Don't kid yourself. 90% of the initial interraction between two characters is "want gorpu?" If you're a character who is a prime candidate for a ranking party (giant warrior, healer, etc.) then sometimes deaf is the only way to retain any sanity.

Furthermore, I see no problem with anyone not wanting to 'answer the phone'. If you want to communicate with them, you'll have to find them on your own.

Noreply is an excellent IC tactic for thieves/assassins/muters. Me getting in the last word and then hiding allows me to momentarily confuse/frustrate your character who also wishes to get the last word. The fact that it frustrated you OOC is proof that it works.
8075, Pray is overpowered
Posted by Narissa on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well, you can pray for one thing. Another is to ignore them. It's only a game. There are all kinds of people finding loopholes to piss people off.

So, let it not affect you, but more on.

PS. Don't ever, ever be like them.
8079, Re: Pray:
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You should only pray OOCly if a rule is being broken. If someone is spamming, going OOC, harassing, etc., pray immediately, and we'll look into it, whether or not they're using Deaf, etc. If someone's being momentarily childish, you should handle it IC, which might include praying or might not.

The commands being discussed don't change your game at all. It's the same as if your tell went through and the other player chose not to pay any attention to it. Move on.

They are, however, quite useful against spammers and harassers, especially if no staff member is free to deal with them, which is why the commands exist.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com