Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectRole Contest Announcement!
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=7775
7775, Role Contest Announcement!
Posted by Aarn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
To : all
Subject: Role Contest Announcement!

Yes, it's that time again. For those of you unfamiliar
with the Role Contest, here's how it works. Your character
has a role, via the role command. You submit your desire
to enter the role contest to me personally by Wednesday,
March 16th. I and my pannel of celebrity judges review
the submissions, and pick a winner and two runner-ups,
and they all get a reward. Simple enough, right?

Well, this time there's a twist.

All role entries entered into your character AFTER THIS
VERY MOMENT, are invalid (for the purposes of this contest,
it's still fine for your character) and will not be read.
That's right, your role entry must have been in before the
announcement of the contest. In accordance with this new
hitch, however, we've decided to increase the stakes and
include a few more nifty awards then we usually do! So,
make sure you tell me by Wednesday that you think you have
what it takes!

Submit your desire to enter to me directly via note.
8015, The results are in!
I'll be posting some comments as time allows. There really were a lot of good roles, and some of them that might have won in past contests didn't even make the list this time, simply due to the lack of room! I'll try to post details about the runner-ups as well.

To : all
Subject: Role Contest Winners!

Finally you say! Without any further delay, the five winners
of the role contest are:

1. Nabburak
2. Brulgbabauth
3. Cowren
4. Melacarfina
5. Lacirama

I was going to list honorable mentions as well, but there
were at least ten other roles worthy of note. See the
forums for more details. As our winners span all stages
of development, rewards will be decided on an individual
basis.

Thanks to all who entered! Don't be surprised if future
role contests are run this same way, without advanced
warning. It worked out quite well.
8016, Comments on the winners
1. Nabburak

An excellent parody on the greatest steryotypical role in CF history! Stayed simple, very reasonable length, lays out a good background, ties in well with his race and class, and made me laugh. I would like to see another entry or two though, it seems like the character would have quite a bit worth updating now.

2. Brulgbabauth

Another simple role of very reasonable length. Also connects very well with his race and sphere. A fairly unique story also, can't say much else without giving away details of the role while the character is still living. Another one where I think an update is overdue though.

3. Cowren

A good take on an old standby of a story, with a slight twist to it. Well written, and done very well in the application of the character. Writing a good role and actually having it affect your character are often two seperate things.

4. Melacarfina

A very solid role. A little on the long side, but well written and easy to read. Has done exceptionally well on the updates, and speaking to major events and major characters that affected her life (which makes the length understandable). Bonus for refering to the other characters in her life, I like to see that. While a role can be used just for initial background at level 1, the events of a good characters life will change them, and it can really flesh out a character to write it all down. Plus it gives us a lot more to work with.

5. Lacirama

Not winning any points for editing necessarily, but it tells a fine story, and has been updated with the affects of major events. Major bonus points for being the product of a new comer to CF! It has also been shown that this person can use their role solidly in their characters roleplaying. Good work!
8022, RE: The results are in!
Posted by WhiteRaven on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I'm very curious about the honorable mentions as well, even if there are ten, and they don't win anything for it.

Inquiring minds want to know!
8026, I'll second that..
Posted by Tahren on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It's always interesting and entertaining to see feedback on roles, whether it's yours or someone else's. I was hoping to see some more commentary!
8032, I'm also curious about this. n/t
Posted by rulanit on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
asdf
7990, Update
Sorry this has taken so long. I've been busy in and out of work which has been slowing me down, topped with the fact that there were roughly 40 entries into this contest. I'll have the results sometime this weekend (probably after the basketball games). Please note that if you entered the contest, but your character hasn't logged on in an extended period of time, I may chose someone who has been playing over you.

Thanks!
Aarn
8088, A bitter taste.
Posted by Aiekooso on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Please note that if you entered the contest, but your character hasn't logged on in an extended period of time, I may chose someone who has been playing over you.

This is a really disappointing comment. This comes from a player who once invested 10 hours a day. Those days are pretty much gone for me, but I still try to enjoy cf when I can. It seems like you're saying that if I can't put in hours I once did that I'm not deserving of getting the same consideration as everyone else. For those curious I'm likely down to about 3 hours a month if that.
8103, RE: A bitter taste.
Sorry. It took me around two weeks go through all fourty entries and to finally post the results, and if a character hadn't logged in since the day they posted their application to me two to three weeks ago, their chances of winning were reduced.