Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectWhat oft was thought, but ne’er so well express’d - Alexander Pope
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=74652
74652, What oft was thought, but ne’er so well express’d - Alexander Pope
Posted by apex on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Wow, what a ride this game has been. I rolled my first char in mid to late 90s. I remember stepping foot in Galadon and getting poisoned from drinking the water from the fountain at the Temple of the Sun. It turned out Nazmorghul had been laying a siege on the city, and there were Dawnites standing at the fountain and handing out 'cure poison' pills. I think it took me seven tries before I figured out I should not drink the water, but from that moment on I was hooked.

CF is an awesome, unique place. It is so immersive that some of us even dream moving through the MUD when they sleep. It is the best creative outlet I have had in my life. And boy, it has been a constant part of me for decades now. The game has always had its ups and downs and I am sure for all of us it is a love/hate relationship because the most of us are sensitive creatives at our core. But as we age, hopefully we as persons change too. I had hopes for the past two years that this change has been for the better. It seems it really hasn't.

I have been a part of several on-line communities in my life, and in all of them there is toxicity to a lesser or greater extent. Here, it is important to not let that toxicity interfere with the game. And sadly for me, it finally has. You delineate yourselves as members of different cliques. Old grievances are never forgotten. You address each other as though that flame war on dio's a decade ago is still not hashed out. You keep to your old OOC rings and a lot of you still haven't accepted that this is supposed to be a creative game in which we collaborate in order for all of us to have fun. You should know better, you all have gray in your hair by now.

Imms, it has been and it always will be your way or the high way. But when you wield that attitude publicly it can just cause damage and never anything good will come out of it. When a player rolls a character and comes up to you, they don't need to earn anything. They are trying to spend what free time they have to have fun with you, and they should always be welcome without ephemeral bars of entry. Nor should they be expected to acknowledge that all standards are in an unexplainable flux, a pure whim of momentary interpretation. Even though in fact it IS your game, in truth it isn't just yours--it is ours too. All of us have spent too much time on it and have put a lot of emotion in what CF is. You too, ought to know better.

I find myself too old for this kind of drama. But for the first time in two decades I feel it influence me how I see, think and want to play the game. It is a poison that is going to ruin what has been something precious in my life. So I make the choice to leave it, in the hope that my memories of it don't get soiled by that filth. I tell myself, if people can learn how not to notice a missing tooth, I can learn how to live without CF.

And with that, I wish you all the best, friends.
74654, Very sorry to hear
Posted by Callowyin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
My experience has been quite different. Over the years I've come back, had fun in mid-ranges, and then at hero encountered tight-knit elite vets, and once I showed my true colors it was keep up or don't, whatever, you clearly aren't one of us.

Much different culture now, and a lot of new blood. Which may explain fortress blow up. Maybe empire needs to be more newbie friendly, but that's peripheral to my point. Being, people talk to me now even though I suck.

Discord is an improvement from my standpoint, too. I recall pissing matches on qhcf.net and no imm feedback ever. Now we practically are talking directly to them. Maybe that's a double-edged sword. I can tell that a number of players stay off of it, and the game is so nuanced that misinfo and opinion can combine in toxic ways - maybe if you actually know what's going on in this game it's a lot more maddening.

I've never tried empowerment - still scarred from my string of unempowered healers ages ago, so, I can't blame you there!

I think this game, making characters is kind of like building a baby, keeping it or discarding it, but damn if someone disagrees with your parenting... and it's very hard to remember that these are pretend babies and we can make new ones whenever we want.

74653, RE: What oft was thought, but ne’er so well express’d - Alexander Pope
Posted by Bemused on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>I have been a part of several on-line communities in my life,
>and in all of them there is toxicity to a lesser or greater
>extent. Here, it is important to not let that toxicity
>interfere with the game. And sadly for me, it finally has. You
>delineate yourselves as members of different cliques. Old
>grievances are never forgotten. You address each other as
>though that flame war on dio's a decade ago is still not
>hashed out. You keep to your old OOC rings and a lot of you
>still haven't accepted that this is supposed to be a creative
>game in which we collaborate in order for all of us to have
>fun. You should know better, you all have gray in your hair by
>now.

This was a great paragraph. Discord is an echo chamber and whenever someone expresses a viewpoint that is against what the level 40+ members' narrative is, they all arc up in unison, lacking the ability to intelligently converse with someone questioning their rusted on views.

CF Discord is great for bringing the CF community together but it is a real shame a handful of regulars make it so toxic. I can only handle it in small doses these days - I've got better things to do than argue with some idiots.

Every time I pass through Tabershaw's Keep I swing by the cesspool and I think of Discord.
74665, RE: What oft was thought, but ne’er so well express’d - Alexander Pope
Posted by mackle on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I agree.

Best thing I ever did was leave CF discord.

Not just the idiots that team up, but also it brought out the worst in me.

I enjoy the game much more now.

I just want to mention to Ish, please make sure all announcements of game changes go on the forum as well. Thanks in advance.