Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectIt's not a bad idea
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=74337&mesg_id=74346
74346, It's not a bad idea
Posted by lasentia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Since it would only be for existing characters it would only be to get them to continue to log in, so really only a retention tool. It might be useful to some players to get a nudge about their existing characters (multi char players might have issues though depending on how it functions)

Some of the flaws to think about:
- gear lockers would know when anti hoarding is coming and log in to avoid it, which is bad. I don't think that would be a good notice specifically for the potential to abuse, and of course anyone who did not get a notice and saw the chromatic flames would get pissed. So that should not be a relevant notice, even though I know why it would be useful, especially for regular players who do something like go on vacation for a week and know they will have limited/no chance to play.

- I have to believe there would be a low opt in rate of people giving their email address to participate in this, but not sure how to incent people to do it, since I firmly believe any incentive here would be abusable. Maybe make it a time saver, like you get boots of pathfinding that crumble at level 10 or something.

- A reminder is fine, but too much spam annoys people. I would not want notes coming to my email for example. So maybe auto deletion in 7 day warning, or something to minimize just how many emails you get, but ensure you get a few ones to try and get them to log in.

- I think you would need a time frame after which emails come. If I log in regularly, I don't want my email getting stuff. So maybe it triggers after 7-10 days without a log in.