Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectRE: I don't spread false narratives.
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=72998&mesg_id=73018
73018, RE: I don't spread false narratives.
Posted by Ishuli on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You conveniently left off the rest of what Umiron posted that explained the context as an idea of art vs. product, emphasizing the statement wasn't about selfish/ego/rudeness.

He didn't say it's for the "enjoyment of the imms" as in some sole-selfish focus of self-admiration. It's that it's a labor of love. And I can relate to that. I love the work I've done on CF. I've put a lot of time in it. I'd keep doing it EVEN IF no players played, as it is something I'm genuinely enamored with. When I've stuck in a new area that I spent months working on, I am already happy. When players are exploring it and kicking butt, dying, or reading descs - I'm even happier, it really is the icing on the cake for me. I don't expect anyone to love it the way I do, and I am not entitled to expect them to.

I think you're purposefully and vastly misrepresenting what he said. Your repetitious nature of the clipped version is disingenuous.

BUT I admit I have the additional context of having worked with Umi. He does a thankless job and has dealt with my errors with nothing but patience. He gives feedback, bluntly (which is a good thing), but is game to help. He keeps the servers running, and sets up things other folks don't even think of. So with that context, I know he doesn't view it as a creation of ego. He cares about it too. It's not a hobby for enjoyment to the extent of playing in my own little play-room. The door is unlocked and folks can come enjoy what we've made whenever they like. When they do, I appreciate it and am happy. When they don't, I'll keep slaving away working on it because I think it's damned awesome.

So yes, what you're saying is false, what Umi said isn't. It's like a fake news headline misrepresenting the actual dialogue.

And it DOES bother me because I engage, DAILY, in a way that shows how false that representation is. Seems pointless to keep the server online and operating if nobody gives a #### if people play :P, so it's insanely simple to see how misrepresented the statement is.

-Ish