Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectRandom minor feature request
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=70827
70827, Random minor feature request
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Show uptime when you connect to the mud.

When I play more than one character (which is admittedly rare) I try to separate them by CF reboots. E.g. once I logged in as one character, I never swap it for another until CF reboots.

This excludes any possibility of me accidentally passing gear from one char to another (by leaving a stray item lying around and then picking it up as the other char).
70829, Uptime command?
Posted by Kalageadon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I am fairly sure that this is still a command, it's not automated but you can use it at any time that you log in. As well, you can check "Users", "Users Playerbase", etc.
70830, RE: Uptime command?
Posted by Saagkri on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Or the 'time' command which tells you when the mud started. But, I think he's looking for some way to know before he logs in so that he knows which character to use.
70835, RE: Uptime command?
Posted by Thaedan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I agree that's what he's looking for. I suspect it would not be hard to implement, but my understanding is that coder time is at a premium.

There is the potential for abuse here, though. Someone could write a script to poll CF and wait for a crash/reboot in order to time their logins when gear is likely to be in.

Granted, that could already be done *now*, but it would require scripting the entire character creation process. In fact, that might argue for making the "date" command available only to characters level 5 or higher.
70828, RE: Random minor feature request
Posted by Thaedan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That's a pretty clever idea.