Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectFollowing Kstat's ban I want to discuss something
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=70693
70693, Following Kstat's ban I want to discuss something
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Have you guys considered how often you guys get false positives on rule-breaking?

Let me count some instances I personally know of.

A hero dude drops some gear on Eastern Road, to free inventory space. Goes on his business, forgets or doesn't care to pick it back up. A few hours later a level 11 dude walks down Eastern Road, sees some nice (to his level) gear and picks it up and wears it. Slay for gear passing. Because both dudes have Russian IPs, no other proof needed.

A dude plays a necromancer. "We've been suspecting you in a rules breach but we won't tell you what we are denying you for. You know what you did." So I don't know if he actually broke any rules, but why were you being coy and not giving him a chance to explain himself? You are not omniscient and you can be mistaken, and a level 51 necro character is at stake.

A dude has some buddies he's been mudding together with, long since before he's been into CF. They communicate out of game, exchange rumors and gossip. One of them happens to make Emperor (without vote collusion!) and gets banned for vague reasons. Others are left wondering if they are being left for dessert and will just get denied at a more opportune time (e.g. after they've invested more into their current characters).

So great, now I have to be careful what I pick up because it might be seen as cheating and I have to be careful what I say in a chatroom with my buddies because it might be seen as cheating? This is a goddamn GAME, stop being so anal.

Follow-up:
When Delaed was deleting, he dumped all of his (awesome) gear set on a random level 43 evil dude. Dude happened to be me.

What do you think I did? I gave most of the gear away to different people, and even sold a couple pieces to merchants. (EDIT: I just looked it up and turns out I did keep one or two pieces.)

Why did I do so? Because I knew Delaed was Shapa, and it could've easily be seen as passing gear between OOC buddies.

I'm just glad I knew. If I didn't know who Delaed was, I would've kept most of the suit and then promptly be slayed or denied for "cheating".

By the way, even though I knew it was Shapa, I was not sure if he wasn't gonna kill me when he asked me to come to Seantryn.

I want to play a CF where I need not worry about such things. Where I don't need to be paranoid about picking up gear at Eastern Road. Where I can PK my buddies but still talk to them on Skype/Discord/Google Hangouts. Where I can give gear advice to people outside the game. Where I can accept IC gifts and not think "how will this reflect on me in the eyes of immortals?". Etc etc.
70755, Locked. Don't see this providing any further useful discussion.
Posted by Jormyr on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
70744, In order to prevent situations like this in the future
Posted by Marcus_ on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I suggest that we replace the word 'name' with 'cockroach'

By what cockroach do you wish to be mourned?

Also scarabs are just glorified fuking dung roaches
70747, This made me chuckle
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
twice
70700, RE: Following Kstat's ban I want to discuss something
Posted by Thaedan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You guys should draw straws and each play in a different cabal. I jest. Sort of. (Could actually be fun).
70703, I drafted a long answer to this but the forum gobbled it
I'll just say most of us WERE in different cabals. Or without a cabal at all.
70699, Question from curiosity...
Posted by Matrik- on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Have you ever been punished for something you didn't do in Carrion Fields? I could be wrong, but I'm guessing up front that you haven't been.

IMO, you're likely a perfect case study in how someone can be Russian and also not be mistreated based on that.

70701, I do not want to publicly answer this question. (n/t)
NT
70702, Yes or No Mr. Murph.
Seriously though what's the harm in a yes or no. Have you been wrongfully punished or not? You're being overly dramatic.

70704, Yes.
I did not want to bring it up because the punishment was removed after my inquiry. But it turned out that a random unknown Russian IP holds much less trust than a Russian IP known to belong to Murphy.

It also showed me quite clearly that the punishment system is not infallible.
70705, Fair enough.
Thanks for answering.
70720, Yes
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
As a magistrate I got booted for taking 3 gold to leave town until I ranked.

The necromancer paying was wanted and hoped to get to the ghoul tunnels.

He wouldn't stop into town when I was there. I wanted to kill him.

I knew I could Simon a mob and kill it before he got in and then ambush him with the aim of killing him. In my eyes out was good to for a lawful evil because I would keep the letter of the agreement but are him over in the process.

Unfortunately the moment I suggested he paid me I got booted. Then an imm wanted to talk to me about it so I couldn't stop the necromancer when he came into town.

That said, I don't mind that much because I think it's important to catch tribs who are really corrupt.

70696, Banhammer
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The imms don’t bring out the hammer lightly and there are lots of examples of the. Giving incredible leeway in terms of warnings and inaction(glik is a recent example, shapa and abusing login mechanics is another). I don’t know what was in those logs but if it was just general talking about stuff I would imagine more players would have been denied/banned. So either he has a long history of warnings or there was something only he did in that group they deemed serious enough for a ban.
70697, I've had an experience that made me think differently.
If you have a Russian IP, the leeway is much much less.
70698, RE: I've had an experience that made me think differently.
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>If you have a Russian IP, the leeway is much much less.

I think recent events are a pretty good case for why this specifically isn't the case.

Of course, I have the advantage of being able to see the situation through the lens of someone who knows just how often we've not denied/banned someone, *.ru especially included, because we didn't feel like we had a good enough case despite being pretty damn confident we'd be in the right. In many cases, I'm thinking of exactly the scenarios you described. Possibly even the same individuals.

I disagree with you and think, in fact, that it look a lot, not a little, for the characters involved to end up being punished.

And that's the entirety of what I intend to say publicly about all this drama.

P.S. Next time you guys send us a big bag of evidence, plz include the pee pee tape. We've tried everyone and nothing's working.
70706, Wait, did I REALLY transferred that Armageddon?
Oh my how COULD that have possibly happened?

That being said I'm totally not mad at you ppl. I enjoy the thought of being able not to play anymore. I'm kinda sad with shapa though.
70708, Yeah but I am mad.
Because apparently, that's some enormous shadow cast on all Russians playing the game and I don't even know exactly what you did.

I mean other than sharing a who list. Who the hell bans for that?

What Armageddon?
70709, You don't wannt know
or they ban you
70711, OMG just stop it.
Posted by k-b on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Do you honestly think the playerbase doesn't know many Russians have been cheating for a long while, now? Do you really think we're that stupid? I've known for years and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It was one of those unspoken truths that no one really talked about because we obviously don't have 100% proof, but if you've played enough then it's completely obvious.

You FINALLY got caught, because one of your own decided to have some balls and expose you, and now you're reaching for ways that you've been wronged. I'm not sure the extent of it all, but I'm 100% positive that many Russian players have been cheating for many years. This is your come-uppins. I, for one, am glad that Russian IP's will be heavily scrutinized. It's your own fault. Now play the game like you're supposed to (I.E. no collusion) and stop crying. This is LONG overdue.

Hell, if it were me in charge, I'd probably ban all Russian IP's for a year just to make a point. You got off light, as far as I'm concerned.
70713, Fwiw, you aren't doing anyone any favors with this whole post
Posted by Destuvius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The last thing anyone is looking to accomplish with this whole event is to create a further divide within the playerbase based on where they live.

To some degree, all of our players are dirty rotten cheaters so no one really has a leg to stand on in this finger pointing game. Except for me of course, cause I'm just that cool.
70722, Nope.
I'm not a dirty rotten cheater, but you are. I'm 100% positive you use aliases.

Stevers and I are the only true CFers to have ever existed.
70723, Aren't you banned, Matrik?
Case in point.
70730, No.
Umiron unbanned me a while back. I've been playing for months now.

Also, I wasn't banned for cheating. I was banned for spamming newbie characters with dumb names and filling the starting room with corpses.
70724, You got me, I do use aliases...
Posted by Destuvius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
but how else am I supposed to ban everyone? The commands are just soooooooooo long to type =(
70726, I depends
Posted by scr on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
do you use aliases to ban people as well?
70716, ####ing racist you are.
Posted by scr on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You look so confident when talk things you have no ####ing clue about. I just don't care how old and respectable player you are but this is clearly behavior of propaganda victim and it doesn't look good.
70719, I never stop when I am angry.
I'm glad you're not in charge, fascist scum.
70725, muh russian collusion. nt
Posted by robdarken_ on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt