Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectLogging in quickly in and out for ambush purposes
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=69237
69237, Logging in quickly in and out for ambush purposes
Posted by Loggerinerouter on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I would like an official response, if possible on this tactic. There is currently and has been in the past, players who use this tactic specifically to ambush people by logging out nearby or in areas prepped, quitting for 5 minutes, then logging in quickly and charging people, then doing it again.

I recently experienced it that I was logged in for an 1 hour and 24 minutes. At the 25 minute mark this character/player logged in, hunted for 10 minutes, then quit. 5 minutes later logged in, hunted for 10 minutes, then quit. 10 minutes later, logged in, hunted for 10 minutes then quit. Then finally logged in one last time before I decided to quit.

I would like to know if this is an acceptable way of utilizing an out of character technique to ambush other players who "put their guard down" when an enemy logs out.

This is further exacerbated by the fact that the quick log ins and outs seem very accurate in that when that player/character logs back in, they bee line directly to you, as if scouted. I don't believe that is true, but it is beginning to feel a bit wonky because that has now happened to me personally three times and I am sometimes in areas very very far off the beaten path.
69239, RE: Logging in quickly in and out for ambush purposes
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
If you see a pattern of this from the same character (i.e., multiple sessions) then send us an email and we'll look into it.

I will happily deny anyone I find doing this as long as there's a pattern in the logs, which there absolutely will be if someone is up to no good.
69240, What's wrong with 15 minutes sessions and 5-10 minutes breaks between sessions?
Posted by Someone who logins for 15 minutes often and quits on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Or you can only quit in your cabal when you do such sessions?
69241, I was told few years ago that 15 minut logins are alright.
Posted by The one who logins at "dead" time. on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Have it changed silently now? How much minutes logins are acceptable now?
69242, It’s not about the length of your log in.
Posted by Seriphax on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It is a matter of intent. Are you logging in for 15, meandering around and then logging again? You’re fine. Are you logging in to find someone, then logging out to make them at ease then logging right back in to catch them unawares? Now you are exploiting a game mechanic that was not intended as another way to hide from your prey. That is more what is being discussed, exploiting the mechanics of logging in/out for a pk advantage. It’s not much different from exploiting a bug when you know that the bug is a bug.
69243, The rules weren't written just so any Imm could #### you anytime he wants and brag about it the way Umiron does.
Posted by What the hell? on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Rules are rules, the same for everybody.

If there is minumal length of login - say what exactly.
If there is minunal length of logout - say what exactly.

Whenever you log your intent is always to kill somebody, well for most of us.

If you cannot quit and login in some areas - exclude those areas from being able to quit in.

But for now the rule was minumal length of login = 15 minues, there is no minimal length for logout. You can quit in the areas like Darsylon where people kill an elves. But you simply cannot quit there, go to toilet, log back because almighty Umiron can punish you for this.
69244, You're like all the worst parts of raising a child.
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Anyway, I told you in the email what rule is in question and why.

For the audience:

* Do not exploit Out-of-Character (OOC) mechanisms to create an advantage in
the game. This includes cutting link or quitting to avoid consequences.

Now shut up and eat your vegetables.
69238, If you don't switch characters and relogin within 10 minutes
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
it's fine. Be on guard.