Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectSome Gameplay related Feedback
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=68456
68456, Some Gameplay related Feedback
Posted by The-me on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

Hey guys, so I hadnt played for a few years thought I would come by and check out the scene. Played 3-400 hours and have some reflection.

Dodge/Parry/Shield Block

I heard there was a change to the dodge/agi mechanic while I was gone, The previous numbers I had put dodge significantly ahead of any other defensive skill as far as raw damage mitigation. (Even on Giants at the time). So the shift towards more agi tanking was surprising to me. Having said that, I didnt bother to perfect dodge on low agi hero so maybe its still quite effective at 100% - Either way both shield block and parry, both need some serious loving.

Un-empowered Paladin option - No big deal, seems the same as normal paladin change to wrath, is brutal though, with a class that has no inherent bash protection (I thought shield specs used to block bash damage/ lag) the 2 rounds of lag is very brutal for wrath.

Forgecraft : I mentioned this, but I think if you use forgecraft on a broken weapon that you can otherwise forge, it should repair the weapon just fits the flavour text of the skill sequence and stuff. Also you may want to buff end game forgecraft results (but make the benefits much more random so sometimes you get +2hit +6dam or what ever instead of max max), given the limitations, being handed a +17 +17 ranger spear reminds me that with a forge you can do better! Should change Forgecraft giving skill ups when using it outside of a forge though. Maybe once its mastered it could unlock Magical weapon forging (forgecraft for special attack weapons), and armorsmith (similar to outlander strengthen) (I know some of this potentially overlaps with enchanting, and I'd be down with it being a dwarven enchanter only edge for Magical weapons), as potential edges. I couldnt believe it when my made up rp stuff was actually kinda real in that one place

Fun Stuff
Observation Experience : On one hand I am glad that this no longer translates to edge points in the same way. You explored Hamsah docks wow here is 2 edges, that never made sense to me. I was 100% ok with it in regards to area explore however. (I feel like some of this might have crept back in at a vastly reduced return)

Exploration experience : Yeah I'm ok with this for the most part also not translating into edge points, I really like the way it buffs your mvs, would be nice maybe if edge points were expanded to cover different categories (so your lifestyle edges became available naturally according to your play style). I think for area explore you should still get a little bit you know to encourage you when you are gonna prolly die maybe.

Quest Experience : So many quests in the game, I wish I could remember more, like some of them have insane rewards Also I noticed area explore bosses in quest list, which was really handy for checking things, but it still didnt really translate into anything useful from a gameplay perspective.

Role exp : I was super lazy with putting roles in, but had them all thought out before hand. Was kinda miffed when I only got 400 role exp for Kaiden after doing like a big update, then getting uninducted after it However I used a range of styles with Ghrimmlis and Imms seemed ok with that (too an extent )

Imm Exp : Got a few bits I think on Kaiden? Not sure, didnt have my role in for like 90% of characters life, also being wanted for like 30 hours? or more limited opportunities for interaction. Power Gamer note : Just sit in the fortress and slowly add role chapters I mention role, because I imagine its difficult to find a hook to go for some fishing. Vortalis I was 100% about avoiding imms, generally Hell is a pain in the ass enough, without Sacer coming to play too I did some really cool solo raiding of all the cabals without using any preps, but it was only stylish in my head maybe. Which gets me to Ghrimmli, so much imm exp, role, desc, 6-7 interaction bonus + free decent edge.

Power Blah blah :
I know this is not a popular topic, but am going to go into it, and its been a consistent issue I think for years. CF is a game of power, and improvement. Your level of power determines what you can achieve in the game. If you are noob to a class your power ceiling is the same as the serial vet, but your current potential probably falls far short of that. So we had nerfs to defensive practice or what ever over the years, because improvement should take time. Nerfs to healing mobs, because retrieval should be fun/possible at all times, people dont fight cabal wars, they do hit and run etc. Nerfs to skill improvement when the monster you are fighting is immune to the damage etc, great to stop that guy mastering stuff in a specific way, I'm tanking some 9th circle demon, but its immune to my no rem weapon atm, so no skill gain for me!! So new age, edge points nerf, I played 3 characters each for a reasonable amount of time. Vortalis I think heroed at 40ish hours? Complete 80% of the end game content, one edge from hitting hero. Tried saving for another.... no. I heard you could get edge points from Commerce (didnt do enough of it I think), cabal wars (didnt do enough of it I think?). Why you worried about edge points Jeeves? you always talking about edges. Its about further character development, the difference between a hero and a legend. You hit hero, get your sweet set, into your cabal -

Previously you could play this game called carrionfields, and the things you did in the world allowed you to improve very small things about your character, it didnt matter if you got 20 edges, because by then you would be ready to age die). Before edges btw we had the dream of quest skills, skills we knew were in the game, but only given out under 'exceptional' circumstances. Or like the Coming of the Macalla where some of us had 3.4.6 looking at you Iunna edges. I dont know what happened between the time I stopped playing and the time I started playing again, but the player base halved (Jeeves effect aside).

Whats my point? If I can farm more edge points on Ghrimmli between arena fights and inn sitting, and organising a lol tournament. Whats the point of any of the other areas in the game. Yes they are all very well written, yes there are some fun quests and what not. The gears jeeves! - Why? To PK? - Worthless (unless I want to be Mageslayer/Vindicator/Something else with powers that relate to pk worth), Cabal wars (Also mostly worthless), Explore/Observe (?), Commerce - Yes could be useful'. The most effective way to improve my character is to afk near some imms.... What about playing the game Jeeves? No, pointless.

To be clear none of these characters were PVP focused or leadership focused, I already murdered everyone enough in previous incarnations, its not about PWNAGE its about variety and gameplay and non-imm controlled character development beyond the 30-40 hours it takes to hero.
68465, RE: Some Gameplay related Feedback
Posted by Ishuli on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Speaking of roles, I am pretty much a fan of any format so long as certain things are hit. For entry roles, I care most about: class, ethos, alignment, race, sphere, religion. Having that mixed into a 'story' or interesting plot gets bonus points.

For updates, my main concern is whether or not it has character development, tells me something new, or gives the character a new direction.

I don't think I was the person who rated yours, but I've personally given some "larger" role updates 400 when the length doesn't really give me any 'substance' - which isn't necessarily your case at all, I'm just speaking in general.

I hope the rewards for your contest, and otherwise imm attention, didn't kill the 'point' of the game. But maybe it's a learning moment for me. If that stuff is making "playing the game" pointless, I'm doing something wrong.

Can't really speak to the mechanical changes you list, but it's interesting stuff - I personally always fantasize about the dwarven famous blacksmith role, and similarly always wish that blacksmithing could be pushed to some wild degree so I can fulfill it. So I very much get you there.
68466, I will bite here now I know you gave me the edge too

I don't think I was the person who rated yours, but I've personally given some "larger" role updates 400 when the length doesn't really give me any 'substance' - which isn't necessarily your case at all, I'm just speaking in general.

^^^ I dunno it was a 5 chapter update taking me from level 1-level 51 and touching on a couple of bits in between. It probably was only worth 400 imm exp, should have input it one chapter at a time over the course of a few weeks :)

I hope the rewards for your contest, and otherwise imm attention, didn't kill the 'point' of the game. But maybe it's a learning moment for me. If that stuff is making "playing the game" pointless, I'm doing something wrong.

^^^ Not gonna lie, spoke to SilenttowerbardGuy, and noticed his contests, noticed the amount of time you sly watch arena fights, put two and two together, when I got like 100 imm exp I was super pissed :D :D Its like GOD DAMNIT The technical jiggery required to get the ale alone here! Getting the drunken edge was a nice touch RP wise fight in with the tournament being a herald etc.
Also wanted to spend as much time with Legobelt (Uds) as possible seeing as I hadnt spoke to him for like 4-5years? Nothing ooc of course, he is isnt hard to spot :D Even came in the Dangerroom at one point this incarnation:D

The current set up makes PVP/Exploration/Cabal wars and everything else pointless, hands down the most effective power growth / edge farming is to rp around imms, no point even going to those other areas, if you yell YOLOLOLOLOLO or Burp man its 50imm exp, you might miss out on Imm exp if you go do those things. Like Ghrimmli was a pretty strong example of this as far as rewards were concerned, even without the contest him having more edge points than Vortalis/Kaiden together, was just horrific. Now lets say I followed up on the Rashael angle, quested to get my specs back or some ####.

Given how much more powerful imm exp is in the scope of things (with edge changes), you guys need to ton it back or alternatively tone it the way #### up for actual danger/risk situations, for actual Caballed Characters. Like wanted for 50 hours (with no guards killed (prior to those incidents I mean)? how about throwing this dude a vigilante edge). Taking enemy items when its just you? Actually fighthing inside another cabal? Assassinated Wanted jack blaguar? with your tribunal assassin? One man solo raid retrieval fighting off 3 and killing the vindicator? You better give this guy love.

68467, Some complaint tips
Posted by Saagkri on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
If you think there should be more edge points and IMM exp in other areas, great. But, suggesting IMMs tone down the IMM exp for RP and events helps how?

Don't listen to him on that one, IMMs. Thanks.
68469, RE: Some complaint tips
I am suggesting the current balance exacerbates the situation. There is no reason to do anything else, no reason to do anything dangerous, or exciting. Can at the moment, literally duel yourself into Silent Tower, not that you would bother going there, or any where else.

I'm suggesting they make a game, which has replay-ability, which has specific milestones and achievements, the last time I played Carrionfields, this was the case.

As a returning player with 400 hours of experience across all aligns/ethos, the game is currently holds little to no interest for me. You want to try a build? Previously thats around 400 hours of IC gameplay where I can work to get the main edges I want by 100 hours, then spend 300 hours looking at what I would do different.

Now if I want to try a build, I simply pick 2 edges, enter a role, get role exp, level to hero 20-40 Hours, get my hero edge points, try out those two edges. Where do I go from there, that doesnt involve an Imm to improve my character? No where right? Farm commerce exp in the most obnoxious gamey way possible?

Jeeves just play the game and you will get edge points over time from role and imm exp - so whats the point of doing anything else? Fought your way from one end of hell to the other? Meh who cares?
Single handedly raided all of the cabals solo without protections? Meh who cares? Slew all of the ancient dragons in a single night? YAWN!

Had a duel in the arena? Oh well thats worth 100 Imm exp!

68470, RE: Some complaint tips
Posted by Saagkri on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I don't disagree. There is really few ways to improve your char once you hero without immteraction. I play some very odd hours and know when I log on at certain times, that I cannot really accomplish anything. It sucks. There should always be something of value to do and opportunity for character growth else you really question why you don't just do something else.

It's a real problem that I hope the IMMs correct soon. I'm just saying that restricting IMMxp for social RP events is NOT a solution.
68471, I'd actually like a non-cookiecutter IMM response on this.
Posted by sleepy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It's clear that at the very least, there is a vocal part of the community that has issues with OBS/EXP in relation to edges. While we recognize that there are issues with people "farming" it just to get edges for PK, there are very valid ideas of making it akin to Commerce Exp and have it capped (either by level, amount of EP possible, etc.). We also know there isn't an issue of coding in that respect, since it would be already created code.

So what exactly is the reason to not at least provide a toned-down version of EPs for OBS/EXP? With the lower playerbase, the current status quo discourages solo exploring during low player count hours.

Transparency with regards to game design has always been a huge factor in a game's success, and I think with the newer IMMs you see a lot of that, which I appreciate. But when it comes to actual game design choices, the playerbase knows very little about what is going on. But I digress.
68476, If they return edge points...
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
...then Umiron will have pretended to have left for nothing.
68479, RE: If they return edge points...
The Umiron guy has no religion? Doesnt play mortals? Does a bit of code on the side?
68457, Offhand
Also : If you have something in your off hand that is no remove (like a shield say), that is you screwed for using any items that need to be held. No periapts, or watches, or anything like that. Thats the penalty for No remove shield? Come on :D