Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectAn idea on preps
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=68419
68419, An idea on preps
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Disclaimer: I haven't played in months and likely won't have time to start again for a few more. So none of this is aimed at any player or current circumstance.

Idea: change most sold potion preps into pills and make pills more filling on a sliding scale. I.e. Stone skin prep equal to a half chicken, protection equal to a berry pie, and fly/detect invis to bread. Also turn shield and aura gather able potions into half chicken sized pills.

Affect: this will make using consumable preps have a usage cost, in some cases you simply won't be able to prep as much as pre change at all, in other cases you won't be able to continually refresh them. An advantage will run toward giant sized players that can eat more (a side change might be making fill level based on racial max con to disadvantage high dex races). The net affect will also make dispel abilities more useful against long established characters with deep pockets.

Reasoning: I think this change could hit a bunch of points. As mentioned above it would put high str chars in an advantage over high dex. It ends the era of the always peeped to the gills non mages. It narrows the vet advantage and long term char advantage over newer players/younger chars. Creates a system of choosing your preps more dynamically and also rewarding ambushing styles of play since coverage of preparedness will wane. I also think that as far as changes go to implement it would be generally easier than building out a whole new framework(lots of footwork to switch potions to pills and maybe adjusting the eat command depending on how it presently handles pills).

Also you can still go farm potions you just can't buy a full sack of preps. I would also include purchased word, teleport, and enlarge/reduce. Do you want to prep or be sure you have an escape option?(now that healers can't offensively gate it seems more reasonable, watch out for air shifters!)

Thoughts?
68423, Interesting take
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
On reducing STSF elves ability to prep :)
68422, RE: An idea on preps
Posted by sleepy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Do you think this could have an unintended effect of players (aka vets) becoming even more prone to playing conservatively? Conservatively as in, use protections, once they fall they scram until they are "hungry" enough to fight again.
68432, Just eat famish pills. n/t
Posted by wareagle on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
n/t
68434, I demand spoon
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Please PM.
68420, ABS wands too?
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
In the mud I used to play you could only consume two potions/pills and the third would make you puke (taking no effect). However, you could quaff potions in combat.
68421, RE: ABS wands too?
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
In my head if this change happened it would only apply to buy able preps plus shield/aura farmable potions. So if you use wands/talisman/scrolls/class abilities you have an advantage over those using other means to achieve the same affect. Hell I bet invis gets way more useful at all ranks if this gets applied.