Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectArt of Game Design - A Book of Lenses
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=67187
67187, Art of Game Design - A Book of Lenses
Posted by Tac on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Has anyone out there checked out this book? I've started reading it and I find the stuff so far pretty fascinating.

Lens #1: The Lens of Essential Experience
To use this lens, you stop thinking about your game and start thinking about the experience of the player. Ask yourself these questions:
● What experience do I want the player to have?
● What is essential to that experience?
● How can my game capture that essence?
If there is a big difference between the experience you want to create and the one you are actually creating, your game needs to change: You need to clearly state the essential experience you desire, and find as many ways as possible to instill this essence into your game.

Seems like a very good place t start for CF. My question is, what do you feel is the experience the player is supposed to have?
67300, RE: My take
I think the core experience that is CF is the agony of defeat and the thrill of vicotry.

Essential to that experience is a world that presents non-trivial challenges to overcome.

PK, Certain kinds of PvE, and even to some extent certain kinds of Immteraction can bring both the agony of defeat and the thrill of victory.
67296, I read the first 100 pages or so at work.
Posted by Marcus_ on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I think the desired experience is being their role.
67299, Thank you for taking the time.
I think that could totally be it. This thing where you mine the character backstory for ideas and the world shapes to them definitely works in a DnD world. I'm not sure it is totally doable in a CF world, but it could definitely be closer.
67203, Never read it but....
Posted by Athioles on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I recently bought "Why? #### you that's why." by Umiron on Amazon.

It was a brief read but very enlightening.
67205, I'm pretty sure you've made it up
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
He'd never bother to add "that's why" in the end.

JK
67202, I want to whack people
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thank you.