Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectCabal raiding and edge points.
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=66763
66763, Cabal raiding and edge points.
Posted by Athioles on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Why doesn't raiding for cabal items count toward edge points but retrieving does?

Given that both now give varying levels of xp wouldn't it be better to have the edge point tiers based on XP gained rather than a blanket number? For example if someone reraids against 3+ others and gets 2000 xp that would be weighted like 4 undefended retrievals.

Something like this + allowing cabal raiding to be factored in might go a long way in both solving the edge point issues and encouraging more active cabal wars.
66775, RE: Cabal raiding and edge points.
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The plan at one point was to implement EPs for raiding using some code Daev wrote a long time ago now that tried to sort out how "difficult" a raid was, factoring in number of defenders, attackers, allies, etc. I remember putting in some extra logging to figure out how accurate it was and what the spread was between different types of characters and cabals, but never got around to reviewing it and implementing anything further.

But the basic idea was that raiding solo against 2-3 defenders and winning would be worth something while raiding empty cabals or raiding against some chump you'd obviously walk all over would be worth nothing.
66776, I like this thinking
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Because raiding vs empty cabals is risk free, for many.

We'll ignore that time I managed to die to an undefended destructor only to have someone log in and loot me before I could get back to my corpse. ;)

Seriously though I'd rather not see the old "no defense, let's raid" get rewarded, because it already pays dividends by removing powers from enemies that log in or forcing retrievals.
66778, RE: I like this thinking
Posted by Bemused on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
> raiding solo against 2-3 defenders and winning

I think fighting 1 v 3 + inner and winning should be worth something. Not that it matters, because that would never happen. And if it did happen, that character clearly doesn't need more EP.
66784, Defending should get points too then
Posted by KoeKhaos on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Otherwise classes that have a hard time doing enough dps/defnding to kill outer like healers won't get much or any of this love.
66786, Not to mention incentive not to defend, but retrieve instead.
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
66768, When your only opposition is out-of-range
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
what keeps you both from going through the motions over9000 times for EP profit?
66774, Cooldown timer (for whole cabal, not just you). NT
Posted by wln on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
66765, Different cabals have different stance on raiding
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
So if you make it the same for everyone, the system will heavily benefit Empire.
66767, It's easy to solve
a) Each cabal may have it's own multiplier;
b) Second multiplier may be related to the number of cabal members (the more members, the less EP you receive for successful raid).
66764, Heh...
I've offered it a year ago. Cabals are not interested in raiding, and if they raid, they are actually makes a good favor to their enemies, granting them edgepoints. So if you raid, you make your enemy stronger. But I've got something in reply "it works, cabals are raiding, so f*k off" :) I still think it's wrong and twisted logic, though.
66777, RE: Heh...
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
A better solution would be to remove ep for undefended retrievals, and grant it for difficult raids.

But difficult would need to take into account the past record of such raids for a raider, and their pk record.

Also, certain builds would be advantaged by the system. Eg monks, where it is hard to stop them doing what they are trying to do (apart from stopping them killing you).