Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectSuggestion: trigger happy flaw
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=66698
66698, Suggestion: trigger happy flaw
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Something to lay on trigger abusers that strips their ability to see people enter a room and the direction of a flee. It could also add a pulse of lag when they try to use abilities on people not present.

This would make running hunting/sleep triggers almost useless. Conversely maybe make it an affect that wears off eventually as a warning system instead of s permanent gimp.
66705, RE: Suggestion: trigger happy flaw
Posted by sezdral on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
To be honest triggers are not as rampant as you think. I've been accused of using triggers a lot but I've never used any before because it really isn't worth the risk. Careful planning, use of skills, herding people into certain positions and not spamming commands really goes a lot into PK and making it look like you have are a trigger user with godlike reactions.

E.g. some thieves look like they're trigger users when they actually have a certain skill that allows them to doubleback exceptionally fast, and not everyone knows that and assumes it's a trigger, some vets included.

E.g. if you are in a one exit room, dont be surprised that your aggressor can reach you before you run away right after a flee, esp if he hasn't been lagging himself, because there is only one way you'll run, so he's ready to go <direction>;bash $targ

Obvious triggers are really easy to deal with like someone else said, it's the ROTD. You can even deal with it yourself IC as disarm triggers and chase triggers are easily exploited to the disadvantage of the user. I'll leave it to you to figure it out.
66710, Except - abusing triggers with emotes will get you rotd and punished
Posted by Sarien on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Otherwise id abuse shapaabots chase triggers
66713, I don't think so
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Abusing other people triggers should be fine. Umiron hinted at such while he still was IMM.
66714, RE: I don't think so
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I don't remember saying what I think you're insinuating, but my not-an-imm-anymore answer is:

If you realize someone has a trigger and changing your behavior accordingly is to your advantage, great.

But! You'll probably end up getting realmed if you do things like try to fire their trigger with emotes. So don't do that.
66715, Right. This has been the stance for a while.
Posted by Sarien on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Otherwise I'd roll up a space drow warrior and spam

emote has fled!

in rapid succession, just to watch his trigger scan all and eat nasty nasty perma lag/damage :P
66719, I did a version of that...
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Except I added 'disarms you' in my warcry and I would say it randomly during fights via RP..

Is it my charm and charisma that disarms you ?

Is it my stunning panache that disarms you ?

No! It is my superior speed that disarms you !

It is my great strength that disarms you !

I only used it a couple of times but it was pretty hilarious when I got free flurries because assholes cheat.
66716, RE: Emotes
Posted by Tac on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
There isn't really another way to exploit triggers that do things like follow a target that moves (fleeing or otherwise) and re-engaging whether it is via dash or otherwise. It isn't like there is a fake flee command... Chase triggers are so effective (under the right conditions) specifically because they are harder to exploit "legitimately" compared to, say, a disarm trigger. If you have more than 1 person, they can probably be exploited, but then you are ganging anyway and they probably aren't engaged...
66718, Oh
And there i wanted to command inject some ppl :(
66712, RE: Suggestion: trigger happy flaw
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Nah, the shaapamatic setup is fairly clever in terms of not exposing itself to countermeasures.

And a disarm trigger is not that easily exploited in many one v one matchups.

Triggers are common. I've seen a guy held by a fillet who kept triggering as I walked in and out of the room repeatedly. (I still died to him!)
66702, I'm positive
that transfer to RotD and slay is enough of a flaw for trigger-happy people.

Thank you.
66703, So you stopped? n/t
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
gr
66704, Trigger train has no brakes
Sorry.
66699, It doesn't mean what you think it means
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
"Trigger happy" flaw should make you randomly attack people when they make a sudden movement -- as if they had cast an aggro spell on you. (Obviously they would yell so you would count as the aggressor.)

E.g. if they wield something, or utter a spell that you don't know, or get something from a container, or use one of those "close" or "aggressive" socials, you have a chance of attacking them automatically.
66700, Rrally this is less about realism than it is about nullifying automation advantages
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I would also like to see another variant aimed at disarm triggers but that situation seems more acceptable to the imms even though it devalues several skills and a legacy.
66701, Then think of a better name for it
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Vague naming of requirements is why programmers and users never find an understanding.

FWIW there is enough mechanisms in the game to make using triggers not worth the effort; using them introduces just as much risk as it does benefit and you can often use a person's triggers against them.

EDIT: You are also misusing the word "realism". Realism is something else and irrelevant to either interpretation of your suggestion.