Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectRequest to revert change to axe murder edge
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=66634
66634, Request to revert change to axe murder edge
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
From a balance perspective I think giant (and generally high str) axe specs have really suffered post dex changes combined with lower player count and area updates that have made lower con races much more viable. Going full tilt damage on a giant axe spec is still very risky and only a non villager can get milage from it. I recommend an increase in cost for the edge and returning the in combat lag. As evidence I would submit the fact that this has existed forever and giant axe is still mostly an under dog build.

I mean pincer is still better if you can't achieve a 2 size difference, so it's application is theoretically highly limited.
66642, RE: Request to revert change to axe murder edge
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Axe Murderer also increases the success rate of Overhead enough to make it pretty reliable.

So edged, now you had a skill that:
- is pretty reliable
- does high damage (potentially huge damage)
- impervious to fly, protective shield, invoker shields, etc.
- lags the attacker 3 rounds
- lags the victim 2.75 rounds

In and of itself that isn't so bad, but on a build that's specifically designed to capitalize on being a 'roided up Paul Bunyan going super saiyan on people it gets the job done. And I imagine that will still be true, if perhaps to a slightly lesser extend, even now that it was fixed to work the way Daev (I assumed) originally intended.

P.S.: It looks like the lag never would've fired on a victim who was being ganged which probably makes it less attractive to most people and/or substantially more situational.
66643, So are you still actively coding? n/t
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Gr
66651, Nope. (nt)
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
asd
66644, am i misremembering or did overhead always have a lag component - even when used in combat?
Posted by Sarien on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
a lag component for the victim that is.
66647, Misremembering nt
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
66646, RE: Request to revert change to axe murder edge
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
So what is it after the recent change?

Btw, that's pretty gross. If your victim enters a move that isn't "flee" or if they fail flee, and the axe guy's next command is pincer, then the victim is soaking up the initial overhead damage, one pincer, and 5 rounds of combat. That's enough to kill a lot of people.
66654, I could be wrong
Posted by Oxias D on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But pretty sure I've been lagged by it while fighting Panitorop and Zoenad. Unless you mean that only applies to the buggy part that was fixed.

Or that is the way it will work now that the bug has been fixed.
66640, I disagree a bit
Posted by TJHuron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Mostly because axe specs still have pincer.

It's still pretty dang nice with lag on the opening strike.

Neat someone is doing it. I've had an idea for something slightly different involving overhead and the edge for a long time myself.
66639, I think you underestimate how good it is/was...
Posted by Tac on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
3 round trip lag (or something close to it) is death you any character that relies on active combat skills. With the damage it does, you can outright kill people you aren't even targeting with directed melee while they get 1 command between overheads...

It also seems a little silly for an edge to make something that basically obsoletes what would otherwise be the best spec skill.

Imagine if you could take an edge that put zero lag on jab (think last stand vs. entwine). Why would you ever flurry again?
66636, RE: Request to revert change to axe murder edge
Posted by Destuvius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
When the issue is a bug, its easier to fix it than do an entire re-design on the edge. It certainly doesn't nullify the use of the edge anymore, and based on most of the logs of current Overhead King of Thera, it wont really impact day to day much... People generally are toast by the time the initial overhead lag clears.
66635, I object
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
No way, man, NO WAY.

Otherwise I'll make a cloud fist/trapping outlander who will break faces with it in an even more ugly manner than Panitorop does.