Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectSo I wanna post this before I forget.
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=66278
66278, So I wanna post this before I forget.
Posted by Onewingedangel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Before I start, I know the whole obs/explore edge point debate is still raging, but I wanted to get out an idea I had (most of it isn't original) for PK edge points.

Now mind you, these points are assuming we all finally agree we want PK edge points.

Here's what we don't want:
- Encouraging multikilling to farm PK edge points
- Widen the gap between vets and non vets

Here's what we want:
- Encourage people to PK. (This mostly applies to newbies learning the game, they'll learn how to better defend themselves quicker.)
- Edge points! Obviously, for many of us.

So, I've taken a few people's ideas, and mixed them all into one, with a few changes. So here goes.

In regard to the "AP charges" approach. I think that by itself still helps widen the gap between vets and non vets, as vets are more likely to take down those tougher opponents. As is only awarding for PK wins. However, someone mentioned giving them for 'unique' PK's. I think that by itself, is just not great given the state of the game, IE lower playerbase. So, what do we get if we put all these points together?

A system where the timer portion of the AP charges is taken into account. (Is it a timer? If not, whatever.) So you kill someone, they don't count towards EP accrual for 2 days real time. (Up for change or debate, just throwing a number out there.) Now, I'm not even sure how well that would work what with reboots or crashes. Would it reset? I certainly don't know, but I know someone does. Feel free to chime in. Okay, so now you still have the feel of unique PK's, but it works in our current climate of just not many people. Multikilling gets you nowhere in regards to edge points. And as for PK wins, someone mentioned giving for both losses and wins. I think that's a wonderful Idea. I can't think of one player that would throw away that much con just for EP. It just isn't worth it. And now vets who are getting PK's are getting the edges they so desire, and the newbs who are getting owned are also getting their edge points, so they aren't left too far behind.

With this, we're encouraging people to participate in PK, and maybe even take more risks, and just make the game more fun all around. No way to 'farm' the system, what with a timer and all. And even those who are losing are still getting a chance to see those edges and have fun with them.

Once again this is assuming we all want edge points for PK. And the most important it depends if Scar would be willing to do the work for this. I honestly don't know how much work would be required, but in my head this sounds like a very fair system.

Thoughts? Concerns? I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks. So let's discuss.
66357, RE: So I wanna post this before I forget.
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I just posted something similar on that other thread. Seems like a better fit here. Here's what I came up with:

Award edge points for PK but with a fairly low cap and with a couple of restrictions.

1. You only get edge points for each of your first N qualifying PKs, subject to the following restrictions.
2. N is fairly low, e.g. in the 10-20 range.
3. Only solo PKs count. This restriction is waived when the killer is a healer.
4. Successive PKs on the same victim don't count.
5. From levels 11 to 46, only the first PK at a given rank counts.
6. A PK only counts for the killer if the victim has PK'd at least one person. This restriction is waived when the victim is a healer.

This rewards PK, but accomplishes the following legitimate goals:

a. It doesn't create a huge advantage for top-tier PKers because the cap is so low.
b. Average-skill players who try hard and live a long time have a decent shot at maxing out their edge points from PK because, again, the cap is so low.
c. Ganging isn't encouraged since only solo PKs count.
d. Multi-killing isn't encouraged since you don't get credit for successive PKs on the same person.
e. Level sitting isn't encouraged since you only get credit for your first PK at a given level.
f. Fragging clueless newbies isn't encouraged since you only get credit if your victim has himself managed to kill someone.

66328, I'd like pk deaths to give edge points too.
Posted by KoeKhaos on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Ive probably never had more than 20 pk wins on a char and I feel like taking away edge points from pk was bad. That said I didn't like the old system either. My proposal follows.

Pk wins gives edge points based on unique kills, power of enemy, leadership of character, in game hours since last death. No edge points for multi kills and only a tiny bit for weaker kills after first.

Pk losses also give a lesser, much lesser, gain to edge points based on power of who killed you like above to encourage attempts at tough enemies and bring interactions up.
66322, The staff had claimed to be against this
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
They think rewarding losing is perverse.
66326, Assume response to below?
Posted by Tac on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It isn't rewarding losing, it is rewarding continuing to try when you've been losing a lot.
66327, Well sure.
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But still, it's "not a priority", "not our vision", "not what we had in mind when we designed edges". Choose your flavor.
66329, And they just as well may be
But the getting Edge Points for losing PK isn't a reward for losing, but a reward to sticking through it. Yes, they could do it depending on how tough the opponent. But I see it as more you're losing significant con first. It's the "sticking it out" edge points. I mean hell, you can even make work based off of numbers. More like how cabal wars works, and not how gank-o-meter works, we all know how much gank-o-meter can lie. "Oh, he had a 1.6 gank-o-meter, but most of those are , 0%", etc. I just want to start the discussion for us to work out this happy medium that might possibly exist between what we want and what the imms want, so I'm really hoping they chime in with their thoughts.
66290, PK Edges
Posted by Tac on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I think rewarding for AP charges is worthwhile, but constructing it so that your 1st kill gives you 10 EP (made up number) and 100th kill gives to 1 EP, with some milestones in between I think is the best option.

Conversely I think given EP for PK Deaths in a reverse scenario (1 EP of first death, 10EP for 51st death) would also be a good, but not great, incentive to take some risks and play a character out that isn't overly successful to start out.

Fundamentally I think 50% ratios are basically good for the game, and encouraging the kind of behavior (risk taking) that leads to 50% ratios is preferable to only rewarding pk success.
66292, +1 (n/t)
Posted by N b M on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
66283, You're an ass
Posted by Oldfag on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But I support this idea. It's something I've offered a couple of years ago, when they castrated CF for the first time.
66285, You should probably stop posting
Your personal attacks and toxic posts are obviously going to be deleted.

Unless you don't care about this troll account of course.
66287, Probably you should address this post to yourself
Because in your latest 20 posts you never said anything constitutive. You only have been hijacking other threads, bitching and insulting other people, like in that your pointless reply. Grow up, you infantile little forum warrior.
66288, RE: Probably you should address this post to yourself
3 posts ago - http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=6&topic_id=66185&mesg_id=66221&page=

4 posts ago - http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=6&topic_id=66185&mesg_id=66220&page=

I could go on, but you really aren't worth the effort.

The point is, you are hijacking constructive discussion with venomous nonsense. But you are good at trolling, I'll give you that, not good enough to be Randy Marsh, but good none-the-less.
66295, Wasn't it Gerald Broflovski?
Posted by lasentia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That was a funny episode, but I didn't see the second part.
66296, Good call, yeah, Broflovski (n/t)
66289, Same thing I told Bemused
It's just best if we don't engage him.
66291, You shouldn't even begin
And yes, it's your second good idea that I am totally supporting.

Save me from your posts and we won't full the forum with the needless flame and arguing.