Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectLow dex tactics vs trip
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=65269
65269, Low dex tactics vs trip
Posted by Permalagged on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Are there ways to avoid or mitigate trip and/or trip lag other than quaffing flying potions every 5 ticks when you are in unsecure areas? I am asking about what a lower dex race can do specifically, and also a class without dodge or evade or much combat/melee prowess at all(to fight through the lag) or the use of staves, wands, or scrolls(for longer duration).

65275, Without meaning to be funny
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Part of the solution is to avoid spending time in areas where people can trip you (at least, avoid areas where thieves hide so you only have to deal with assassin trip.

Other than that, fly, or move fast but without spamming. If I know a thief is on (check who a lot) then I might even write an alias to do my shopping so I am not standing in the shop long enough did someone to get to me.

Also, if you go polearm spec, people trying to trip you will get charge set for lots of damage if you aren't already fighting.

Another semi helpful solution is to use weapons the trippers won't know so they take a lot of damage while tripping you. Sadly that's less effective since dex changes broke game balance by making those weapons easier to dodge.
65276, You don't need to hide to trip. Warriors have trip.
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
NT
65283, It's much less of a danger if you see it coming NT
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
NT
65284, Just because they can't hide
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
doesn't mean you necessarily see them coming, or are ready for it.
65271, RE: Low dex tactics vs trip
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The short answer: not much.

There are a few class-specific things that mitigate trip (e.g., Outcry of Steel, Smear Mud, Calcify, Avatar of Venoms, Fend, etc.) and there are other preps besides fly such as enlarge, but those are either very situational or considerably less convenient than simply buying a bunch of dirt cheap fly potions.

If you really don't want to have to deal with trip anywhere anytime then you probably need to either play a build that comes with some natural defense against it or make peace with fly preps.

There is also some leggings that make tripping the wearer a bit less appealing, but I certainly wouldn't advise planning builds around something like that.
65270, Beyond flight, not spamming
Posted by Destuvius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Unless you're fighting a cheap shotting thief (or orc to a lesser degree) if you aren't spamming directions then trip should be a non-issue because you will get commands in before the person tripping you. If you are spamming directions, your commands that go in between the trips will end up being failed movement due to combat.

If you are playing a giant, you can also run around enlarged all the time because you should be unable to be tripped by someone who is not at least giant sized themselves (human size + 1).
65272, This came up in a discussion with a friend the other day...
Posted by SPN on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Is there a lower limit to trip? Meaning, is there any limitations due to being too small, or is it only large size that negates trip?

I mean... an enlarged giant tripping a reduced gnome seems a bit unrealistic in regards that the gnome would be about the size of his big toe.. Now punting the whole gnome for lag would be a different story.
65273, It's basically a counter to bash mechanic
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You can't bash with +2 size, you can't trip with -2 size.

I think that was the idea.