Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectAdvertising on Mud Traffic Sites
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=65149
65149, Advertising on Mud Traffic Sites
Posted by Amora on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I'm thinking about buying an AD sponsorship on TopMudSites, MudConnecter etc. Does anyone have any knowledge of carrion fields doing this in the past? What were the results in traffic as a LOT is dependent on the traffic these mud listing sites get.

I also started some search engine campaigns yesterday to donate to some traffic based on keyword search to Carrion Fields, competitors, and related keywords associated with mudding, telnet games, etc. Mostly in US speaking countries. (due to my language limitations.

Does anyone want to look into advertising on Reddit and the costs there for their Muds page specifically?

Any other suggestions on the highest traffic'd sites for those in the "mud" demographic. People who use to play on the old BBS boards (like myself) and play the games like TeleArena and Trade Wars etc might still be interested if those exist anywhere.

65150, RE: Advertising on Mud Traffic Sites
Posted by Drehir on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I would not pay TopMudSites a cent unless they fix our broken voting. Our votes do not count properly right now. They did something to artificially lower our standing. People have probably stopped voting there now.
65155, RE: Advertising on Mud Traffic Sites
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>I would not pay TopMudSites a cent unless they fix our broken
>voting. Our votes do not count properly right now. They did
>something to artificially lower our standing. People have
>probably stopped voting there now.

Here's what TMS said back in September '15:

Hi,

Votes don't reflect immediately - only at each update which is roughly every 15 minutes or so. There have been no changes to TMS to explain a sudden drop in ranking other than our proxy database. We maintain a database of open proxy servers to prevent vote spamming and recently added a couple of new proxy subscription services to our list which adds a much stronger coverage of TOR nodes in particular.

That's the only thing I can think of that would explain any sudden drop in votes, otherwise nothing has changed.

The way I read that is someone was using proxies (or Tor) to vote for CF on a regular basis and that had inflated our "baseline", and when TMS made their #### better we lost that bump and settled to where we should've been all along.

I'm not sure whether I buy that or not, but arguing with the guy wasn't going to get me anywhere and I didn't have access to any information that would've helped me prove otherwise.
65156, Day of Deception.
Posted by Dallevian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
from your tagline. it's a ruse!
65167, The greatest trick Umiron ever pulled...
Posted by lurker on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Was convincing the playerbase he's not an Imm anymore.
65169, He is me and I am him.
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Wait...did I post this with my Jalim account? Awwww crap.
65159, Any Banner Ads Available in Classic Sizing Format?
Posted by Amora on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I saw we had the giant square banner. Do we have anything available in the classic format, what is that... 486x60 or similar?? We should think about what other MUD players would switch to CF for and make sure thats listed there with something eye-catching. Cabal Wars, Limited Gear, Intense PKilling, Enforced Roleplaying.

I put out an email to some of the mud related content sites to get their current advertising rates.

Really want to get the mud back to 15 players late at night and 30 to 50 during the days. Yes naysayers, I know thats a tall order, but thats my goal. We'll need everyones help to tackle it from multiple angles.
65161, RE: Advertising on Mud Traffic Sites
Yeah, I don't either, but I can test it out easily enough.
65170, Tested
I call ####. I voted this morning at 10:03am and had a friend vote as well. Still at the same number of votes from before voting this morning.
65171, This
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
NT
65162, Yep.
Posted by Iunna on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I got the same story when I emailed them about it last month.
65163, How about some viral marketing?
Posted by Venara on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Like make some Omegle bots, chat roulette video feed advertising CF, you name it! Couple dozen of those and we've got a lot of new eyes on the MUD!

We would just have to teach the new traffic how to put their pants back on, two hands on the keyboard, and that we're not hot singles in their area.

If you're more the "boots on the ground" type of mentality -
Money no object? Maybe billboards near CalTech and MIT! Broke? Find the computer lab at nearby universities and post up some help wanted on the cork board.

Seeking: Players age 19-30 looking for dungeons and dragon style murder bots to assault players in game and verbally assault players out of game.
Reward: Insane words per minute increase on your keyboard. 160+
Superiority complex guaranteed with high pk record