Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectNews&Updates?
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=64418
64418, News&Updates?
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Having last news updated in November 2015 makes us seem dead no?

We've got a couple of new Imms, a couple new areas have appeared, Emnon has rotten to pieces. Why don't they appear on 1st page and MOTD?

P.S. I'm sorry if that sounds like nagging at you ppl about doing your job, It really isn't :)
64447, I have an idea about this, but no idea how difficult the coding would be.
Posted by Doof on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
One of the most frustrating things is to try to gain empowerment from an immortal who just isn't around and hasn't given notice that they might be hard to contact for a while.

How about an echo when you enter the shrine, one that reflects the immortal's log-on activity?

1) You enter a temple foyer and are immediately struck with an impression of abandonment. Thick cobwebs hang from the rafters and the sound of scurrying rats can be heard somewhere within the darkness.

2) While the temple is clean and well-kept, it appears no one has been here in several days. The temple servants appear slightly bored and are engaging in games of chance in an abandoned corner.

3) This temple is bustling with scurrying acolytes and the murmur or prayer. The air feels energized and your skin tingles as you can almost feel the presence of an immortal. It is almost a tangible certainty that an immortal has graced these halls recently, perhaps even now.
64452, RE: I have an idea about this, but no idea how difficult the coding would be.
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This is a pretty good idea if there's a random element to the time of the updates.
64479, LIKE - however it should not be "a couple of days"
Because that would lead to people abandoning immortals who went on a holiday or something.
64485, RE: I have an idea about this, but no idea how difficult the coding would be.
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>One of the most frustrating things is to try to gain
>empowerment from an immortal who just isn't around and hasn't
>given notice that they might be hard to contact for a while.
>
>How about an echo when you enter the shrine, one that reflects
>the immortal's log-on activity?

This seems like a half measure. By that point the role is written, the character is probably 11+, etc.

If the wizlist being inaccurate is a concern for someone wanting to play a priest then I suggest they simply shoot that imm an email before starting and asking if they're around. That's a much simpler and more accurate solution than anything we could code, where as coding something like this uses precious time and is a feature that (be they right or wrong) the majority of the staff has consistently been disinterested in for one reason or another.

EDIT: We also have staff who aren't officially dormant, but who log a lot more hours doing non-interaction stuff than they have time for empowerment, etc., and so any automated system would inaccurately describe them as very active or active during certain times when they almost certainly aren't. And now we have a player that's upset because the MUD told them something that isn't really true. I'd rather just get on the staff's case more about keeping their wizlist accurate.
64609, Wasn't sure until the EDIT - Makes sense when taking that into account. n/t
Posted by Doof on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
64419, RE: News&Updates?
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The MOTD is up-to-date as best I can tell. I'll see about updating the website this weekend.

We don't typically announce immortal deletions, so you won't see that on the MOTD/website.
64420, Integrate them maybe?~
~