Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectA silver scalpel named 'Desiccator'
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=64299
64299, A silver scalpel named 'Desiccator'
Posted by Bemused on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Can the staff give some insight into why this item is no longer able to be used in bartering for at a healer nor can you even sell it at a weaponsmith? It seems strange to specifically target one item and consign it to this fate. This is obviously a very recent change.
64300, Can you post a log of such?
Posted by mage on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
While I haven't tried recently, I've never had that problem, and it doesn't make sense that this would be a deliberate, coded changed. Are you sure it doesn't currently have a value 0? As in, perhaps it was given to a good mob and then requested, or had something else done to it to remove it's normal value. Did you get it from its actual location, or did you find it someplace else/taken from someone's corpse, ect...
64301, From the bug board it was this item that was changed specifically for some reason.
I'm hoping the Imms shed some light as to the reason behind it.

Edit: Usually they just stealth nerf the value of an item like they did with the herbs and the pamphlet in the sewers. Now they have gone and made a specific item (retaining its original 20k value) unbarterable/unsellable. If they claim "Game Balance" (lol?) then why are they turning a blind eye to broken warrior builds that continually get abused?
64303, Ah! I think I might have a possible explanation for you...
The question first becomes, was any attempt made to barter/sell that item ANYWHERE else, other than the Shadowhealer? If memory serves, the Shadowhealer is a DROW. That particular item has some significant history with a very notable drow and, in fact, is so deeply tainted with evil that a paladin cannot even cleanse it. While I don't know this for a fact, it's certainly entirely conceivable that the Shadowhealer refuses to deal with that item out of fear for the connections it bears to the drow who created/used it.

This is entirely speculation on my part, but seems very plausible. I would suggest testing this by getting the item and trying to barter it someplace else. If it works, theory confirmed. If still prevented, then perhaps it's related to the uncleansible evil of the item making all merchants too nervous to deal with it.
64304, There is no need to speculate
The item has been changed so that it cannot be bartered or sold.
64305, RE: There is no need to speculate
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It's value was a bit weird.

However, it is silver iirc meaning undead wouldn't like it.

Surprised if no one will buy or barter it. Would expect undead not to. Or any other creatures with a silver (or fire) vuln.
64306, First theory debunked, second theory seems to hold
I just gathered the item, and tried to barter it and sell it elsewhere with same results.

The High Voralian Priest begins to look nervous as you show him a silver scalpel named 'Desiccator' and refuses to deal with it.

barter silver for pipe
Darna the One-Eyed Bartendress begins to look nervous as you show her a silver scalpel named 'Desiccator' and refuses to deal with it.

Same results when trying to sell it.

The description of this item seems to support my second theory.

<410hp/82%hp 342m/39%m 305mv/60%mv> 4 PM 16956tnl (-20.26%) PROTECTED civilized
l silver
Pulsing with dark energy, this silver dagger appears quite sharp. When
handled it is hot to the touch, making it difficult to wield at times.
Runes are etched along the handle, which shimmer with malice and anger.

A silver scalpel named 'desiccator' is a dagger, made of silver, and weighs 5 pounds 8 ounces.