Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectMulti-Class
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=64295
64295, Multi-Class
Posted by Tac on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Opens up a whole new layer of customization and only a couple of problematic 1 level dips (thief mostly). I want it. How much coding time would it take (rough estimate)?

On a related, but not the same topic, class titles used to be this thing that told you the level and class of someone. Long ago that ceased being relevant... Why can't we choose our title (from among the class titles we've earned) instead of just getting the generic one for class/level?
64297, RE: Multi-Class
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Opens up a whole new layer of customization and only a couple
>of problematic 1 level dips (thief mostly). I want it. How
>much coding time would it take (rough estimate)?

Many hundreds, at least.

>On a related, but not the same topic, class titles used to be
>this thing that told you the level and class of someone. Long
>ago that ceased being relevant... Why can't we choose our
>title (from among the class titles we've earned) instead of
>just getting the generic one for class/level?

Two reasons:

1) It's silly when your hero has a title that represents them as some kind of novice.

2) The idea doesn't appeal to me enough to want to code it. Which is probably the case for the vast majority of the ides I hear and the ideas I come up with myself (believe me, I tell myself no far more often than I tell players no).
64296, One big No.
Posted by Beront on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Opens up a whole new layer of customization and only a couple of problematic 1 level dips (thief mostly). I want it. How much coding time would it take (rough estimate)?

Its the standart ROM - so it doesn't take much work to do it. Its already there (in the code).

However it will break the whole game balance and mechanic. I saw the thread on qhcf and guys, while ideas sounds fun, its a completly stupid idea. I know, we all want something new, some custumization, new perks and other ####, but breaking the game with multiclass mechanic - is the worst idea. I played enough muds with multi-classes and all of them (all four :) ) rejected that mechanic.

TL/DR - No game balance.