Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectContest suggestion
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=64031
64031, Contest suggestion
Posted by Saagkri on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Anyone on forum can come up with a new Teir 1 shapeshifter form.

Imms could give all the fields that need info, for example:

focus:
name:
description if looked at:
skills:
automatic skills:
abilities:
etc, etc.

Then they judge the best, or a best for each focus and add them to the game! New content without IMM time being consumed! (Well, besides implementation side).

If none are good enough, no one wins.
64034, RE: Contest suggestion
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The "Halloween forms" is actually a good example of why this doesn't really work in practice. You can only mix the abilities and attributes used by the current forms into enough interesting combinations before you're just calling the same form(s) by multiple names. This is why I tried to give each of those forms at least one fresh thing. So I think this ends up being a really watered down and weak solution unless coders spend a bunch of time coding new shapeshifter features and abilities, at which point they're probably going to want to implement their ideas instead of other people's. And then there's slogging over all the submissions to sort out balance problems, writing issues, etc.

But if Scarabaeus wants to volunteer then he's a better man than I.
64035, Good points. NT
nt
64038, FWIW That was awesome.
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Loved all the forms I saw.

Thought the Otyugh was insane. Then you nerfed/corrected it. Yay!

Thought the Hellhound was really cool. Like a slightly weaker lion, but you could immolate people (so that's cool).

Thought the Harpy was really interesting.

Laughed when people complained that the cato-whatever was too weak. Then Jalim abused it (thanks Jalim!). I remember when some shifter won a role contest (Nepenthe?) and got basilisk, and it was dope too.

I actually got the Ixit-whatever. It was super sweet. Lots of fun. Incredibly awesome in the water, but didn't have pounce or lag so it wasn't OP. Really loved the skills.

Thanks again.
64032, I would really prefer imms focused on other classes, before going back to Shapeshifter
Posted by SPN on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I mean, didn't they get the last class boost with Halloween forms?

What about diversification of other classes first? Necro, Healer, Druid, Assassin, Muter all only have one set class path. (As do Conjies and APs, but with different servitors or weapons, those classes too can play VERY different. I guess you could put Druids in this boat with different moon phase/herb set.)
64033, RE: I would really prefer imms focused on other classes, before going back to Shapeshifter
I don't disagree. I just saw the shifter thread and thought it would be a neat way to get folks involved and all the code is there already.