Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectCranial Change from a few years back
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=64005
64005, Cranial Change from a few years back
Posted by Hallanaphas on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=47&topic_id=28&mesg_id=28&page=

I just want to say... WOW does cranial completely suck for low strength characters now after this change.

For awhile I thought I was just unlucky with the RNG but I see now it is mechanics.

I'm thinking it's not even worth practicing if one does a similar build. I'm just too tired of seeing "you try to cranial someone but come up short".

This is just an opinion post. Ignore it at your leisure.

One side question: Would skullcrusher edge improve the chances to land cranial? It doesn't seem to indicate that in the helpfile.

64010, RE: Cranial Change from a few years back
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=47&topic_id=28&mesg_id=28&page=
>
>I just want to say... WOW does cranial completely suck for low
>strength characters now after this change.
>
>For awhile I thought I was just unlucky with the RNG but I see
>now it is mechanics.
>
>I'm thinking it's not even worth practicing if one does a
>similar build. I'm just too tired of seeing "you try to
>cranial someone but come up short".
>
>This is just an opinion post. Ignore it at your leisure.

The chance of landing a cranial varies by roughly 10% between 25 strength and 20, and 0% between 20 strength and 16.

I think your theory needs work.

>One side question: Would skullcrusher edge improve the chances
>to land cranial? It doesn't seem to indicate that in the
>helpfile.
>

If by helping to bypass the resistance to cranial provided by helmets it "improves the chances to land cranial" then I contend that's exactly what the help file indicates.
64014, Welcome back?
Thanks for the numbers. I should have said "frustrated vent" post instead of "opinion" post. While I didn't expect some stats I also didn't expect the staff would agree with me or anything.

I know it's easy for players to focus on the bad situations and ignore the good. I knew that before I posted and posted anyway. I feel like I'm getting hosed by the skill. But in an effort to be reasonable I went back through my logs (the ones I have, which aren't a ton) and found that I attempted 35 cranials in PK. I missed 16 - which is 45%. It isn't as bad as I felt but probably enough to explain my frustration with it.

On the topic of skullcrusher. I think you answered my question but I'd just like to clear one thing up for my own understanding. The armor class of a helmet is a direct factor in whether or not a cranial hits? I always thought it had more to do with the lag and chance to knock someone out.

This is why when I read the helpfile below I don't make a connection with hit or missing. If you are finding a weak spot it implies connection is going to be made.

"Warriors with this edge are more apt to find the weak spots in even the most sturdy helmets when attempting a cranial."
64009, helms can help
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I wear helms specifically to counter cranial.

Skullcrusher does make it great iirc. At least, I think Djabree was post the change, and he cranialed me to death on more than one occasion.

Sorry, my oroginal point was going to be, try denting the helm before switchign to cranial?
64007, 6 months ago arial berserkers were still kicking my butt with cranial
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Although not to the same extent as dwarf/duergar.

It's super high damage trip that can knockout I think more needs to be done to favor high str.

For instance I think high dex races have been producing more axe specs than high str for a while.
64006, "you try to cranial someone but come up short"
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Isn't this a size issue?
64008, Don't think so
Considering the last person I missed was an out of form gnome shifter with that echo.