Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectRagers
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=63633
63633, Ragers
Posted by Wannabe on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Would you consider for Tahren to give the oath either:

1)killing a mage
or
2)thickening the veil by a certain amount
?

63652, Play an assassin or a svirfneblin until there is another rash of shapeshifter creations. NT
Posted by Quixotic on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
63634, Thickening a veil is hardly a rageful thing NT
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
NT
63635, #### YOU WHITE ROOOOBES! BURN IN THE FORGES OF HELL!
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Am I the only one that yells?
63636, RE: Thickening a veil is hardly a rageful thing NT
Posted by bobbyp on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
True, but player kills are getting much harder to come by.
63637, RE: Thickening a veil is hardly a rageful thing NT
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Regardless of how true your statement might be, there isn't a lot of data to support he notion that the bar set by Battle is too high. People are accomplishing the task with ease based on what I can see, and it's certainly not taking the average applicant anywhere near long enough to make us go "huh, maybe we should change that".

Sorry!
63638, Can't track those who give up. nt
nt
63639, Not necessarily.
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
We can very easily track people who start the quest early on and then attempt to kill a mage.

And while it's quite a bit more (manual) work, we can look at deletions and postulate whether it might be over something like this. I admittedly haven't gone that far yet, but honestly if I did, I'd probably end up seeing a lot of really low hour deletions at which point I wouldn't bother investigating farther.

Either way, I'm sorry but I don't anticipate any change to the quest. Like Battle life, it isn't necessarily meant to be trivially easy and from a higher game design perspective, cabal cabal induction in general isn't something we view as being a right by any certain level or (within reason) hour mark.
63640, RE: Not necessarily.
Killing a mage IS the start of the quest. Tahren ignores you until you do. Nor does killing a mage get you into the cabal.

The important point here is that regardless of how you view anything, everything either makes it more or less likely that a player will roll another character.

Thinking about the time it takes to find a mage online and in PK when I want to play a rager makes me want to do something else.

I have a char now who waited longer to see a mage online than you spent considering this suggestion. My time is worth something, too.
63641, It's just a part of the rager process.
If you don't like it don't play ragers.

In recent history with low numbers and limited play time I haven't had to wait over 3-4 days to find a mage.

Log in, if you see a mage, go find him. If waiting around pisses you off and you don't want to RP or find something else to do just quit and go do something else.
63642, RE: It's just a part of the rager process.
I suppose you could say that about any suggestion.

If you don't like X, play so you don't encounter X.

If unable to play without encountering X, just don't play.

I did Y, so X must not be a problem.

Maybe you're right. After all spending 5 hours thickening the veil to be eligible for an interview as opposed to waiting hours and hours for a mage to be online would ruin the game.
63643, To join Empire, all you have to do is donate gold....
Posted by Vonzamir on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
to include induction. This might be a better fit for you since this is the system you describe.

Or you could play an orc and you are born into the clan.
63644, BUT 5 HOURS GATHERING GOLD!?!? n/t
gr
63645, I don't understand this post.
Are you saying with sarcasm that 5 hours thickening the veil isn't long enough or that I'm whining about a few hours waiting for a mage to login?

I never said how long I've waited for a mage, and 5 hours of grind to be eligible to wait again to see the drillmaster for an interview?

How long a grind would be reasonable to you? How many hours did it take you to see/kill a mage? More or less than 5 hours?

My suggestion would simply put a ceiling on the wait. If you saw a mage, you'd still kill a mage, but if you happen not to due to things out of your control, there would be a backup in those certain cases. The horror.
63646, The last two were less than 5.
But like I said, I'd log out if I was bored and no mages were around.
63647, RE: The last two were less than 5.
So, doesn't a code change that takes 15 min seem like a common sense alternative to having players of a game get bored and logout?

Tahren_speaks==TRUE if mage_kill >0 OR veil_thickened > 1500;

Getting bored and logging out is bad for game.
63648, Its not a common sense alternative
Posted by Destuvius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Just because *you* are struggling with the current system for unknown reasons doesn't mean its broken. Battle is currently tied for the 2nd highest number of members of all the cabals. People are getting their mage kills just fine.
63649, RE: Its not a common sense alternative
"Just because *you* are struggling..."

My post you are responding to specifically addressed *someone else's* experience, not mine.

The "unknown reasons" you refer to is pretty clear: No mages in PK on CF. which is the same reason the other poster said they "Get bored and logout".

I never said it was broken. I suggested an improvement that would simply provide an alternate path in those cases where off-peak playing or mere bad-luck with logins prevented reasonable character development causing one to logout, get bored, play alts, stop playing.

Battle being 2nd in numbers is not an indication that this problem doesn't exist because:
1) You still don't know how many people want a battle char and give up waiting on a mage
2) The more difficult it gets to kill a mage that's not online, the more you will have people killing their friends mage or using proxies to kill their own.

Someone playing off-peak who won't cheat are part of the player base, too, and should not be ignored because others not in the same boat seem to be making it work.

This would not take one spec of enjoyment from anyone else, but I'll concede that it's a lost cause.
63650, eh, nope
Posted by Dallevian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I've had my fits trying to get a mage kill. Playing at certain times often means ZERO mages in range for days and days on end. Have you ever logged on for hours every day without a mage in sight? I've sat at 15, even solo'd up to 35, all while trying to find, much less get, a mage kill.

It isn't too terribly tough as a warrior or assassin. But some of the more nuanced builds can be simply brutal, such as hunter ranger, pickpocket thief, and trapper thief.

It's really disappointing to be limited in CF because of external things.
63651, RE: Its not a common sense alternative
Posted by bobbyp on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I'm not sure I even saw a pk with my current character until I hit mid 20s. Whatever it's worth...