Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectWhat was the point of making the Macho flaw so bad?
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=63140
63140, What was the point of making the Macho flaw so bad?
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I mean, did it really give that many edge points? It already had enough drawbacks (can't consider new mobs with any reliability, don't yell so people can attack you in town with Tribunals around with impunity) and you added two more? The morale bit was super noticeable. Went from Secure to Anxious in 20 minutes of super-ranking (we were getting 800xp per kill...well at least I was).

And the failing flees part. What the ####?!?!?! That's really lame.

I think it's incredibly stupid you added that to the berserk skill as well. I #### you not I was berserked and failed about 18 flees in a row and mob-died (I mean, it was a stupid fight in the first place but that's not the point).

Oh well. I had the flaw multiple times in the past (though, it was multiple years ago...like 2013 and earlier) and it was never that bad. Did it get changed and I just missed the post?

Edited to add: I just figure you kinda want more people to feel comfortable taking that flaw since half our playerbase plays that way with their characters, and we're all about proper RP on CF. *shrug*
63153, I took this flaw long ago and it had all the drawbacks
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I didn't expect it to nerf my flee (because there's a separate flaw that does that) but in the end it wasn't THAT much of a pain in the ass. Depends on your build I guess.
63150, It changed because people were taking it as an edge instead of a flaw.
Posted by Vonzamir on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I took it on all my outlanders and orcs for several years so I could sneak by guards (well at least not have everyone hear me get attacked)
when wanted. Then it started getting me killed, so I stopped taking it. It changed several years ago.
63156, Makes sense. Like I said, hadn't tried to take it for 3-4 years. NT
NT
63144, RE: What was the point of making the Macho flaw so bad?
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Macho hasn't changed in quite some time. For that matter, neither has berserk as it relates to flee.

Various things make it harder to flee. Stacking them can hurt. Stack enough of them and your chances of successfully fleeing reach zero.

I'm not sure what else to say other than that while some of the factors that go into flee aren't always in your control, not taking Macho would be a rational first step.
63145, "Stack enough of them and your chances of successfully fleeing reach zero." MIND BLOWN! nt
Posted by silat on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
63146, Macho HAS changed though.
The question to me is, why?

Like I said, from 2009-2013 I took it with nearly every PK-based warrior I rolled, because they were basically just throw-away "macho" archtypes.

I never noticed the issues re: Flee.

Same with berserk BEFORE Valg's change to it. After Valg's change, it might have always worked the way it does now but I barely used the skill (because I think Valg ruined that skill completely).

Anywhoo, was just wondering why something changed with "seemingly" no notice/reason. No worries.
63147, RE: Macho HAS changed though.
Posted by Destuvius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
RNG is a fickle bitch sometimes. Just because something seems to be going wrong, or different than you remember, doesn't mean there was a stealth code change.
63148, I had the same expirience with that flaw
Posted by mharlndarn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
15-20 failed attempts to flee. Are you sure that you coded that right?
63149, Its a flaw, its supposed to be a giant inconvenience nt
nt
63151, I think the disconnect...
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
..is that you have people who have taken the flaw 5-10 times and are noticing something changed. Maybe the change wasn't intentional. Maybe it was a side effect of a separate change.

Don't discount when numerous people say something has changed by your own few mort experiences and limited testing abilities as an IMM.

No we don't want to post an hours worth of logs. Yes a lot of stuff you cannot reproduce is actually broken.
63152, If it has to do with being a paladin or a rager, I would trust you
I learned from funnyone that those two things are all you are capable of. So when you talk about anything else, I just dismiss you as incorrect automatically.

On a related note to that: numerous people also said that I was playing Niji and we both know that wasn't the case. Our players have a knack for over exaggeration and misrepresentation of facts all the time. Thats why logs are so important to track down issues.
63154, RE: If it has to do with being a paladin or a rager, I would trust you
Posted by GrahamC on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>I learned from funnyone that those two things are all you are
>capable of. So when you talk about anything else, I just
>dismiss you as incorrect automatically.
>
>On a related note to that: numerous people also said that I
>was playing Niji and we both know that wasn't the case. Our
>players have a knack for over exaggeration and
>misrepresentation of facts all the time. Thats why logs are
>so important to track down issues.

like a log of healers saves being affected by dam?
63157, Replied to wrong post. boo. n/t
gr
63155, This was a fabulous post. NT
NT
63158, One day I'd like you to actually be honest..
..everyone knows you played Niji. You owe the truth to yourself and the rest of us. No idea why you don't claim half your characters and put them off on other people. Niji wasn't even bad.
63159, So Destuvius is Stevers? Nice.
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It means Matrik can make Imm too.
63160, Pretty sure Stevers is Bizzaro Valg. n/t
gr
63141, If half the playerbase picks a flaw...
..it probably is seen as more of a benefit than it is a flaw.

I've taken the flaw a lot for the no yell aspect for mechanical reasons and basically I'm getting something I want + edge points for free. If they 'nerfed' the flaw then it was probably for the best.

Thanks for the heads up.

Also the coolest thing about flaws is you aren't forced to take any.
63142, The lack of consider has led to many mob deaths for me.
Basically removes the ability to explore, which is fine if you're a vet just interested in PK...which kinda fits the macho archtype.

And yeah, no prob. I mean, I haven't taken a flaw in three years except on one svirf conjurer that only hit 28, so it's not like I ever thought to power-game flaws for edge points. Just figured the throw-away role I thought up fit a macho archtype so I chose the flaw. It was near crippling, which I was NOT expecting.
63143, You get edge points for taking a flaw? nt
Posted by TJHuron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt