Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectHow do you deal with hand/shield paladins?
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=62993
62993, How do you deal with hand/shield paladins?
Posted by squishy duerg on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

I've never played a paladin, not really my style thus far, perhaps that's why I have a difficult time with them. From the opposite side they sure feel like CF on easy mode (at least against the builds I've tried). I can't seem to hit them, can't seem to lag them as they avoid so reliably, and they can throw out high-damage wraths with so little lag.

Toss in lightning strike on top of that and the options seem few beyond "run" or stealth. The only option I can see is to lag them before they can hit me with 2-3 wraths but if you miss a bash or pincer or whatever (which is usually what happens), you're lagged enough for double-wrath, auto-cursed, and good luck running when a lightning bolt will be hitting you a round later to seal the kill. So if you can't even barely hit them at all, what's the strategy to deal with them? As a duergar matching up against them feels like a cruel joke, but I've had trouble dealing with them now on pretty much all evil builds I've tried. Thanks for any tips.

62995, They are easy
Posted by RFP on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I've killed tons of them, including uberbuffed pallies like Garwern.

If you are against shield pally, shieldcleave will screw pretty well. If you are shaman or necro, go for blindness, plague or scourge and energy drain. If you blind them, they we'will run in 99% times, it's like built in pally reflex :)

Offensive pals are a bit more difficult due to their combat skills, and even energy drain may not help you a lot. There go for weaken and other maledictions. Against monks I'm not sure what will work, they didn't play that time, but soon we'll learn. I think dex maledictions will work well.

I would never roll ac warrior against them; best are shamans, until they are rewarded with anti-commune virtue. Then you are f*d hard.

So, I'd go for neutral outtie, or even goodie outtie, who are totally right when they kill a pally. Druid could be good; vs monk I think porcupine will be very fun, though maybe I'm wrong. Just don't be evil, and wrath won't bother you. Or get vs holy preps and have fun.
62996, Even anti commune pallies aren't too bad
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
For a shaman. You just need to use supps that are likely to work if they get past the virtue defence. Eg plague vs an elf pally, or dispel. Not so much damnation, say.

And make it a hit and run drawn out affair for a bit before attempting the kill.
62994, Be a whip spec and have saves and preps.
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Sting will make them fail communes and is one-round lag.
Choose Gates and/or Calming for extra staying power.

Also, avoid is affected by most things that affect dodge so entwine them and they don't avoid much, right?