Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectDeflect and Dent
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=62551
62551, Deflect and Dent
Posted by Sad Mace Man on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Why does such a niche skill like deflect fail so often? Seems silly that I need to take an edge to even make it remotely useful the very few times I'm facing someone with a shield that isn't energy. Why not get rid of the edge and just make the skill useful as if you had it?

On the same note, any chance we can change dent to make it useful in an age where gear can just get repaired? Perhaps dented gear gives stat loss until it's repaired or removed for a bit?
62586, RE: Deflect and Dent
Posted by Verathi on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Why does such a niche skill like deflect fail so often? Seems
>silly that I need to take an edge to even make it remotely
>useful the very few times I'm facing someone with a shield
>that isn't energy. Why not get rid of the edge and just make
>the skill useful as if you had it?

When I last used deflect shield, it would more often than not break the shield on the second attempt and this was on a 19 strength race. I imagine it is quite good with high strength. That being said, it will only work so long before your opponent carries a chest full of cheap shields.

>
>On the same note, any chance we can change dent to make it
>useful in an age where gear can just get repaired? Perhaps
>dented gear gives stat loss until it's repaired or removed for
>a bit?

You are DRASTICALLY underestimating the power of dent.
1) Dent can cause bleeding, though not heavy bleeding
2) Dent can cause significant stat loss, synergizing with boneshatter
3) Dent can also remove gear that gives stats, yet again synergizing with boneshatter (I've gotten weapon drops off of using dent to break gear that had +str on it)
4) Dent can remove helmets, synergizing very well with cranial
5) Dent costs the person fighting you gold, which can make messing with you go from a no risk proposition to an exercise in annoyance

62587, Yea, I mean these niche skills in mace are still REALLY good.
Posted by Tac on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Especially compared to some of the "niche" skills in other specs that are truly garbage... Like basically all of spear spec (I kid... mostly)
62591, Dent - Help File Update Request
Posted by HelpFilePolice on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Can we please get the help file for dent updated to cover the things mentioned above:
- bleeding
- stat loss

Neither of these are clear in the help file for dent.

syntax: dent

The metal armor so commonly worn by the inhabitants of Thera makes for
an inviting target for the mace wielder. Well-placed strikes will
severely weaken and possibly even destroy an opponent's armor.
62593, RE: Deflect and Dent
Posted by Happy Mace Guy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Maybe my luck with deflect just sucks, are you sure you aren't using it with the edge? Though I realized the edge is super cheap so I just took it, so not as bad as I thought. Though I noticed it doesn't do an echo for dent if the person has an energy shield, might just want to add some kind of echo?

Also awesome news on Dent, when did that go in? As a couple people mentioned might want to update help file as I had no idea.

Thanks for the answer btw!
62607, Dent has been that way for years
Posted by KaguMaru on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Haven't you ever looked at your affects when you're fighting your way into the first house of teth azeleth?
62557, RE: Deflect and Dent
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Dent does one of the more substantial -dex affects in the game. Repairing good gear also isn't cheap, having to pay 10 gold a pop for a lot of high level gear adds up.

Deflect shield works more then shield cleave without edges. I know as a shaman I freaking hated it because it worked so well against me. I wouldn't be surprised if both skills you mention were strength based so if you are an arial or drow they might seem less snazzy.
62581, Maybe it's a strength thing?
Posted by TJHuron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Deflect shield was Awesome for me when I played Magner. More often than not I'd crumble the shield on the first try. Did take the edge.

I had no idea dent gave -dex. No fricken wonder Verathi kept encouraging me to use it Considering I was whirlwind. Shame on me for not trying it. Is it stackable or something? How much -dex per shot?
62585, Somewhere between -6 and -9 if memory serves
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Nt
62582, RE: Deflect and Dent
Posted by ORB on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Interesting about dent, they should probably update the help file to reflect that. Though I too have only seen deflect work well with the edge. Does hammer material or weight matter maybe?