Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectPerfected skills granting common edges
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=62457
62457, Perfected skills granting common edges
Posted by N b M on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Have you guys considered hand picking a few edges for every class that are always chosen and turning them into automatically attained edges for skill perfection?

In other words, when you perfect tune for a bard you are granted perfect pitch.

I think this would be a neat little addition and take away from some of the "less edge points" earned while at the same time bring individuals skills that were slightly nerfed (as in during the edge point introduction, certain skills worked worse without said edge) and bringing them back to standard once you perfect them.
62459, RE: Perfected skills granting common edges
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
There are a handful (in total, not for every single class) of edges that I wouldn't mind seeing rolled into the "base class", but it's a small number.

I don't think the game would be broken if all bards could tune at half the lag (and in reality this is probably the case often enough), but I also don't feel strongly that they need to. I also feel pretty confident in asserting that nobody would give a #### had things always worked the way they do with the exception of Perfect Pitch never existing. In that sense, the edge worked in as much as it allowed people to purchase, with a finite resource, a perk that they were previously doing just fine without. Now I'm absolutely willing to concede that not all edges are that insignificant, but I choose to address that not by increasing the power of everyone other edge or every other character, but by making adjustments to those specifics edges on a case by case basis as I discover them to be problematic.

I dislike this suggestion for two reasons:

1) It puts more emphasis on skill practice, which people tell me is bad.
2) Despite the fact that players would essentially be getting free edges and thus require fewer edge points in general, they will inevitably still complain that it's not enough.

I'm probably done messing with edges for the foreseeable future. The edge system isn't perfect, but I think the collective staff agrees that the status quo is an improvement over where we were a little over a year ago (understanding that some players disagree). That isn't to say that we won't see more edge changes if another coder feels like focusing their time on that, but I've ran out of ####s to give, as they say.