Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectreanimate and spellbane
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=62399
62399, reanimate and spellbane
Posted by Sarien on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Should reanimate seemingly bypass spellbane? I can't think of any other targeted spells that get a free pass.
62414, I'd say so
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Same as corpse thrall can bypass spellbane on a thirsting rager.
62417, isn't that an area spell? nt
Posted by Dallevian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
62420, Yes but other area spells
Can be baned when thirsting.
62400, Makes sense to me. (nt)
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
62401, Clarification?
Do you mean that it makes sense that re-animate bypasses spellbane because it is a physical altered body part being thrown at the target?

Or:

Do you mean it makes sense that it should not bypass spellbane as it is a targeted spell.

If you meant along the lines of the first, then it would stand to reason that things like

pebble to boulder
ice shards
icicle

and other spells that manifest physical attacks should bypass as well.
62402, I agree
Posted by Bemused on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
More spells should bypass spellbane.
62403, I am fine with it either way - I just want consistency :P
It makes "somewhat" sense to me that spells that manifest in a physical nature e.g. I can see how you can't "spellbane" a string of intestines that then strangles you

by the same logic, you shouldn't be able to "spellbane" a boulder flying at you.

Wheras "Spells" that actually affect the rager (muter spells/immolate things of actual magic nature hitting the rager) should obviously be spellbaned.

From a balance perspective it makes more sense that 'targeted' spells are able to be spellbaned.

I am fine with either - I just would like consistency.
62406, Easily
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Spellbane is like "anti-magic" sphere.

Incestines should actually "strangle" a rager actively, not just hit him with sheer kinetic force. By getting into the anti-magic sphere, they are no longer animated.

Same goes for ice needles, pebble to boulder and others. If the attack itself is magical (created by magic) - it gets nullified.

If reanimate hurled a skull at 100 km/h, that would be another matter, you'd just get mV^2/2 scientific damage no matter the anti-magic sphere you have.
62408, You misspelled Sciontific.
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
62415, Let's make seaweed off limits to ragers
For consistency.

Consistency is overrated at times.

I like that some spells can't be spellbaned.

I don't, however, like that embalmed things can be animated at full strength. I'd rather see only fresh things have full strength.
62418, got to be balanced for non lich/mummy as well
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
With spellbane and decent saves a necro is going to only get 1/4 spells through bane unless they constantly thin the veil. A villager has a really solid shot against even undead as long as they don't panic or get slept.
62419, This is true...
Posted by Tac on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

>A villager has a really solid shot against even undead as long
>as they don't panic or get slept.

But maybe the fundamental issue is that Lich (and AP to a similar extent) have power based around never dying, and that's harder to balance. You want to make sure they can have fun, while also making it fun for others, which is tough since one side basically can never lose without a giant loss of power than can vary between difficult to impossible to get again.
62422, They only have to land sleep though
And nearly every villager will die, since not only do they fail to bane when sleeping, their resist may will drop along with spellbane while asleep.
62405, you serious? as a rager with -65svs, reanimate tore through me
1 round lag
obliterate damage through rager resist, even had a few annihilates

the spell either needs a more normal damage cap or be changed to 2round lag.
62411, If you took that much damage...
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
One or more of the following things was happening

1.) you failed your saving throw (cuts damage in half)
2.) the body part hit a vuln (they can do blunt and mental damage depending on the part)
3.) you were affected by a digit of pain (somewhere between 20-30% damage boost)

Reanimate is a pain to use, embalmed body parts don't last that long without the master embalmer edge and take up inventory space. And with saves and resist you can reduce the damage to mangles, when its that low it shouldn't be a threat to you.

>1 round lag
>obliterate damage through rager resist, even had a few
>annihilates
>
>the spell either needs a more normal damage cap or be changed
>to 2round lag.
62412, yes, sigil, first thing lich and mummy always open with
and yes, i've seen the vuln hit for an unspeakable once, not on me though.

reanimate isn't a pain to use, it's very easy to gather a handful before a raid.

not my first rodeo.
62421, I've hit unspeaks with the spell
Without prior maladiction or hitting a vuln.

Also in the log where the mummy fights the Maran there are a series of unspeaks without apparent prior maladiction.

Iirc it was only heads, hands and guts that do that high damage?
62407, RE: Clarification?
I'm fine with spellbane working against projectiles that are manifested by their spells (e.g., an icicle that wasn't there until someone casted a magic). Some of the specific echoes that reanimate uses probably don't fall strictly outside that description, but again, I'm fine with it.

If you demand perfect consistency then CF probably isn't the game for you. It's been designed and built over the course of almost 22 years by dozens of people with no real plans or underlying spec. Consistency is good and I think we do a pretty good job of making things intuitive (based on what similar abilities do, for example), but you'll go mad or bored if you comb through CF looking for inconsistencies in skills, lore, zones, etc., so I don't.
62409, CF is like the Bible! nt
Posted by Tac on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
62413, Correct me if I'm wrong but before this post it DID bypass spellbane, right? nt
Posted by TJHuron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
62416, Yes. I changed nothing. (nt)
nt
62423, RE: Consistency
Posted by Jormyr on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Umiron and I were actually recently discussing the aspect of things like fireshield vs. a flaming sword. On one side, it might be a metal sword that's on fire, at which point you're taking no damage, even though you're being smacked in the face with 15lb of steel. Or, it might be a magical, purely flame sword, where fireshield makes sense you'd be immune. In a perfect world, we'd chop all the damage apart at apply each separately. Unfortunately, I didn't win the powerball and so wasn't able to convince Umiron to quit his job to dig into THAT mess.

If we really wanted to try to apply some logic to these, you could argue that the actual projectile in anything most invoker spells is purely magical. The boulder is ACTUALLY a pebble, and the rager's just shrugging of that pebble. Iceshards aren't some sciency freezing process, it's just summoning ice from a magical plane, and rager can ignore it. On the flip side, these reanimated parts actually exist, and barring magical dead things, are themselves nonmagical. The magic's just affecting the item itself. Just like a rager gets hit full force from an enchanted sword.

Off the top of my head, I believe I can think of at least one simple counter to this spell, though unfortunately the current undead people using it would be immune. Personally, I don't think the spell is out of line, just someone's using it particularly effectively, and both Battle and necromancers are some of my go-to characters. The only aspect I'd be particularly concerned with is being certain it does have some form of a save. Beyond that, I'm good with a crafty necromancer making use of their tools.
62424, RE: Consistency
Posted by Jaegendar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Or you could be an assassin and take that deflect missile edge.
I wonder how effective it would be....

-Jaegendar
62425, RE: Consistency
I didn't win the powerball either so I can't bribe him. My main issue is that spellbane can trigger on all targeted spells but this one. Which from a balance perspective doesn't make sense to me.

In your pebble to Boulder point you come to the conclusion that the rager is just shrugging off the pebble because it is magic that makes it a boulder. If you apply that same logic to reanimate then the rager would be shrugging off some wet rotting intestines that were thrown at him because without the magical manipulation they are just guts. Gross, but not that harmful ;).

For the sake of consistency it'd be nice if this spell were brought into line with all other targeted spells