Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectThe 'improved' edge system sucks.
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=61981
61981, The 'improved' edge system sucks.
Posted by k-b on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I can't for the life of me figure out why it always has to be feast or famine with you imms. Either we're rolling in edges with people having upwards of 15, or we can barely get to 3 edges in an entire character's lifespan. It's extremely frustrating to have so many sweet sweet edges out there that you KNOW can vastly help your character, and also knowing that there's no way in hell you'll ever get most of them.

I have a hero character right now that did the low level explore, got inducted, hit hero, has a decent role (1000 xp)and has about 10 kills (maybe), and has been to several explore areas, and I'm still not able to take my FIRST edge. Granted, it's a pretty expensive one, but still... There's no way I'm going to be able to get the edges I need after I blow it all on this one. It seems unfair to the playerbase to basically dangle sweet sweet edges in our faces without any chance we can get all of them without being the best roleplayer/pker/explorer in cf.

Solution:

So as to not be the griper who offers no solutions, I offer this. Once a character hits hero, they get to choose one edge free of cost. No matter how expensive or inexpensive. One edge of their choosing.

It wouldn't be OP because everyone gets the same ability to make their choice. It wouldn't bring us back to the old days of 15+ edges per character because edge points are still crazy hard to get these days. It would lessen people's urges to level-sit because that sweet sweet edge is waiting at hero. And it could be a nice reward for hitting hero that everyone gets and isn't OP.

Basically it would drastically reduce the lameness of the current system, and I think it would be a fun addition to the game. I welcome your thoughts.
61992, I power-ranked a shifter to hero in 35 hrs, have 3 total PKs, no role...
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
...and I was able to take 3 edges with the points I accrued (and this character has the least obs/exp experience of any of my last 5 heroes)...so, wtf?

One of those was Roll the Bones, too.
61987, You did all that and can't take 1 edge?
Posted by Artificial on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Please don't start threads with lies. Thanks.
61988, You misread. nt
nt
61989, RE: You misread. nt
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I'm going to guess at the character and disclaim that I might obviously be wrong, but the character I have in mind fits your description quite well and has played from the same IP you're posting from.

Said character has X edge points.

I see zero edges that cost > X and that strike me as particularly desirable for said character's build. This suggests to me that the edge you have in mind probably has a skill/stat/whatever requirement that is not being met and it's nothing to do with the cost or how many edge points the character has.
61990, You're right.
Frustrating because I didn't know there were restrictions. I still stand by my point that the system could use some tweaking, though, and still offer up my solution. Thanks for the insight.
61991, discuss prereq
Posted by Yllonis on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
will save you a lot of heart ache.
61982, Sorry you feel that way. (nt)
nt
61983, No thoughts on my proposed solution? nt
nt
61984, None that I want to share. (nt)
nt