Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectMy take on the Edge dilemma.
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=61905&mesg_id=61949
61949, My take on the Edge dilemma.
Posted by Quixotic on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
When edges went in, what I recall Nep saying was that edges would help entice people to take and use skills that were normally not used by knowledgeable players.

My perception of what happened is that they became a means to boost things that were already frequently used and effective--think Parry Anything, Winds of Hamsah, Smoke and Mirrors--and made them even stronger. That was a serious mistake, for it didn't increase variety or utility, it just made strong skills even stronger, and powergaming players even more powergamey.

Then someone had the idea of giving accomplished pkers edge points. That too was a serious mistake, for the people who PK well do garner imm-attention and leadership spots. They also tend to be the people who know and visit obscure corners of the mud to get the things they need to make them more effective.

I absolutely love edges. The edge point nerf ticked me off immensely, but not because it made me less effective than my peers, but because it limited my access to Achievement badges. Some people spend all their time ogling over their equipment, but my excitement was always trying to earn that next badge or acquire a new set of options when I went into the guild to discuss.

If I could change the edge system, I would suggest this:
- look at the skills people desire and use without edges. Remove edges for those skills. Go back to the original, stated intent of edges, even if many of those early edges did not meet that standard
- for edges that are frequently chosen, ask why. If it is to strengthen a strength of the race/class, remove it. It if bolsters a weakness, consider keeping it.
- remove edge bonuses for PK. Characters are more likely to get imm-love if they actively defend or raid, and deathful characters are already considered "fun to watch" so there is no need to reward them twice for the same behavior

If you remove the 'make the powerful more powerful' aspect to edges, then immortals can feel free to lavish immortal love on behavior they like, setting up a reinforcing cycle of positive rewards for the players and immortals appreciating each other, and eliminating the enmity people feel if they believe that Isildur was rewarded unfairly relatively to Llydia.

There is no need to "pull the plug" on edges. Just align their function with your vision.