Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectMariner ranger...
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=61753
61753, Mariner ranger...
Posted by demon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Since the ranger revamp I've only come across one player that was playing one. Why don't more people see them as a class to play? Any thoughts on what can be done to make them more playable? or do you feel they are fine as it.
61762, I think people overstate how gimped mariner's are out of water...
Posted by Vonzamir on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The only things I don't think work at all are entangle and the level 45 call lightning thing that hits everyone. You'll fail camo and creep more in some places, but no more than other rangers operating outside of home terrain. Nets are not as boss outside of the water as they are in the water, but they at least do something, and the net cutoff thing in the water is nowhere near 100% anyway. Ambush, bearcharge, dodging, and savage blow (which kinda sucks now anyway) all seemed like they worked fine to me.

The only place mariner's ever really shined though was for jumping ranking groups in ruins of the deep or setting up to hit rankers around the river on kiadana, and you just don't find ranking groups to jump as much as you used to. There are a few other spots on water you can hang out on and wait for someone to wander by, but there are not as many people wandering by as there used to be.
61763, It is a class that only functions well with a lot of people
Posted by Torak on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Ruins of the deep ambushes can be brutal, I get that.. but also unsure how well some abilities work submerged over on the surface (thought nets were a surface thing). Volcano... not so much - never really seen a mariner ranger that can take on a full group very well. That late in the ranks and nothing is stopping them from wording. Early ranks almost no one ever does water ranking.

The only real mariner I ever thought about playing was a nexun to sit at the bottom of the Isle but then I realized how horribly boring that sounded and gave it up pretty quick. If the traffic of the areas was much much much higher and they were more deadly, sure.

It'd be better if they just had more outside the water imho... granted a lot of this is second handed, I've never played one but I can safely say I've never, ever, been scared of one. Scared of dolphins, eels, etc.... but never a mariner.
61764, Don't forget
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
With a huge chunk of the mud playing stealth classes you'll get more people crossing water.

I know my mariner found the entrance to Azuremain / underpath to be good hunting too.

Then there was the path to nexus which would have been good had I not gone animist.

River to the volcano.
61758, I've seen more, and I was playing much less
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
From what I can see, mariners are fine, both size and dexy.
61756, An IMHO solution
Posted by Sertius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Just give them permalag on water. Or otherwise pump them up at least to the water shifter level. I mean they can't have smimto, so you'd have to make stepping on water facing them very dangerous somehow. There are two things that kill non-newbies in CF - permalag and sudden (unexpected) unavoidable burst dam. Give them both and they'll be fine - something like bearcharge being permalag for them and harpoon a very high dam move, like 2x the Ambush.
61759, Umm... mariners have permalag already NT
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
NT
61755, RE: Mariner ranger...
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Dalneko is probably on to the right answer.

There's nothing I can think of that would make mariners more appealing besides things that seem like cheats or hacks. As someone (probably more than one) said, a water shifter is almost always going to trump a mariner and the shifter can have a land form to boot.

What would probably "fix" mariners more than giving them a couple more skills or making them "suck less" on land (which isn't a good solution, in my opinion) would be to tackle them from an area/world design perspective, which is simply a much bigger project.
61757, RE: Mariner ranger...
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I felt mariner was just fine when I played a woodelf one.

Even water shifters.

Part of what makes a mariner strong is people not expecting a ranger when on water.

Sure, you are not as effective camping the path to the fort but that's a problem with the path to the fort, not mariners.

Part of what makes mariners look bad is people keep playing giants, and giant rangers suck unless you are bear charging.
61754, It might have to do with the combination of lower player numbers and not many popular water areas. nt
Posted by dalneko on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt