Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectEdge cost changes
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=61366
61366, Edge cost changes
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Two parts to this post. A question and a suggestion.

The question is, does this reduce available edge points to those who already have one of the edges? If it is, have you considered allowing people to sell their edges given that the opportunity cost of having them has been increased?

The suggestion is that edge cost be automated to reflect demand, and can fall as well as rise. But with imm oversight in case the popularity of the edge is indicative of another problem.

For example, if every char is taking the unpredictable edge, that probably indicates that striking the shadows footfall is too good. I bet the latter would still be popular even if taking it meant you couldn't have another legacy. So the legacy would be a better target for adjustment than the edge.
61376, RE: Edge cost changes
Posted by Rodriguez on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I really don't like the direction where edges are going currently.
First it becomes more difficult to gain edge points, now popular edges become more expensive.

More grind, more work... :(

Why not make it so characters can onlz spend X amount of edge points in their lifetime but this amount is gained with reasonable ease. Anything more has to directly come from Immortals.

61374, re: vitals edge....
Posted by Odrirg on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I never understood the bandwagon of whining soo...sooooooo much about this edge. And I hope that the change in this edge had absolutely nothing to do with how much whining was going on about it.

Is it a quick skill that maledicts a little and does a little damage? yes.

even edged, is it the end-all be all? I just don't see it.

Against classes that don't rely on physical stats, the assassin is just wasting commands....specifically *NOT* doing anything to lag the opponent.

Not to mention, Heck, I've gotten more maledicts from 1 iceneedles (not to mention 300 hp through protection/shield/stone skin) than I have gotten from 5 nerves in a row.

So I just don't see the "speed of maledicting" as a valid argument for it's uberness.

Against classes that DO rely on physical stats, all but one have options that will either 1) lag the assassin to slow down the nerves, 2) out-maledict the nerves or 3) change the circumstances of the fight via skills or flee maneuvering

And if one of those three don't work...YOU AREN'T BEING LAGGED!

The only class I see as really having to struggle with nerve, are shifters...but again...if they are nerving...they aren't lagging...

Can anyone explain to me why it was sooooo tooooo uber that it needed a nerf....other than "The cool kids keep whining about it, and they are always right"?
61375, Opening attack
Posted by Artificial on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It makes chasing as an assassin WAY easier.
61387, Yep. It used to be trip or murder...
Posted by Tac on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
And one of those is easily countered by flying. Murder doesn't do any guaranteed damage, and it doesn't maledict... And it lags longer-ish.
61407, There was a time when you could initiate combat with throw. >:D n/t
Posted by Saagkri on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
n/t
61411, I was around for ninjas and I don't recall that...
Are you sure you aren't thinking of someplace that isn't CF?
61413, RE: I was around for ninjas and I don't recall that...
Posted by Saagkri on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
There's someplace besides CF?

I'm getting old, but I'm pretty sure I remember throwing people as Stormshadow right after Boltar summoned them. Unfortunately, my throw button was next to my vanish button, so I also did that instead quite a few times, much to Boltar's frustration...and misfortune.

This was right after the purge in the 1990s.
61369, RE: Edge cost changes
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Changes in edge point costs don't impact characters who already have those edges. Nothing is retroactive.

I have no desire to make a pseudo-economy out of edges. I'm not exactly fine with the status quo, but manually tweaking costs and requirements (and power) from time to time is about as much work as I'm willing to put into edges right now.
61370, Thanks
Just wondered if it could be easier in the long run.
61367, I just want to know which edges. nt
Posted by Artificial on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
61368, I'd rather edges that are popular as just folded in....
For instance one of the most useful ones on that thread was seasoned traveler. Surprise! People don't want to waste time sleeping for mv...
61371, True but sleeping chars are vulnerable
I'm not sure that should just disappear.
61372, Meh. Only a little. Game is too big to be found if you don't want to be.
Sleeping for mv is silly when you need to cover so much ground to find anyone.